Retirement visa agent recommendations

Hi All,

First off I apologize for not being able to use this site properly. I MAY understand more how to know!

Anyway, I  know I need an Agent to help me get my first Non-O Thai retirement visa. I only have the income required (3K, Social Security) and I do not have 800,000 baht additional. So, can a good agent, who is utterly reliable, to get this done for me under these conditions? 

I would like to live in Bangkok or Pattaya but - if required, I can live anywhere in the country the agent needs. I am 81 years old, from the USA, and not currently in Thailand.

I'm looking for trusted referrals for an agent who people have used and are very happy with please.

Thanks for all your help!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you'll need 65k baht coming in a month shown in your thai bank account, if you don't have that an agent can get you the non imm O and retirement extension (15 months in total) for 26k baht, then 12,500 per year after.

A popular agent is Maneerat on Pattaya 13/2 Soi Post Office, on facebook and googlemaps

Don't forget about the bank account! When I was last in their office at the start of December it was still ฿4,700 for the OP's age group.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

OP, both answers above from @Lemsta69 and @scubascuba3 have you covered.

In Bangkok you could check out thaivisacentre however they will be more expensive.

Given that you also require time for agent to open bank account entering Thailand with a tourist visa is an option.

Also possible with visa exempt entry.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1307506-good-visa-agent-in-2023-recommendation/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1285997-visa-agent-pattaya/

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Given that you also require time for agent to open bank account entering Thailand with a tourist visa is an option.

Surely a far better option is for the op to obtain a single entry Non-O in his home country and enter with that.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ME100 said:

I am happy to pay a good Agent who can successfully handle everything for me

In addition to your non O and annual extensions you may wish to consider money transfers.

There is a banking/finance forum.

Lot of USA guys use WISE.

I also use them for transfers from Oz.

Simple process for ongoing living in Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Surely a far better option is for the op to obtain a single entry Non-O in his home country and enter with that.

Already suggested to the OP in his other thread.

Seems he has opted for one stop agent.

I'm sure he is aware of option of obtaining non O in home country. 

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Depends what country. Thai Embassy in Australia requires 90 days health insurance from a Thai approved insurer to get a non-imm O. 

None of the approved insurers offer 90 day insurance so you can't get a 90 day non-imm O in Australia without buying 12 months insurance (effectively the non-imm O-A insurance)

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

If you pass the income requirements, you don't need 800k in the bank.

Immigration would require evidence of 12 x 65K THB monthly overseas transfers, so he would need 800K THB doing it himself.

He could and does however meet the income requirement to obtain the Non Imm O visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in the US to enter Thailand.
Then use an agent for the first annual extension.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Depends what country. Thai Embassy in Australia requires 90 days health insurance from a Thai approved insurer to get a non-imm O. 

None of the approved insurers offer 90 day insurance so you can't get a 90 day non-imm O in Australia without buying 12 months insurance (effectively the non-imm O-A insurance)

OP, is from the USA.

No requirement for mandatory Health Insurance for the Non O application.

https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/non-o-retirement

1 hour ago, proton said:

No Agent is 'utterly reliable' better to do it yourself than trust people you do not know with your passport.

The OP doesn't meet the financial requirements to apply for a 1-year extension, hence he cannot do it himself.

Apart from still being in the US and as yet no Thai bank account, he doesn't have 800K THB for the funds method, nor the 12 x 65K overseas transfers for the income method.
The US Embassy no longer issues letters of income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Don't forget about the bank account! When I was last in their office at the start of December it was still ฿4,700 for the OP's age group.

Good point, they now (like all agents) charge extra for opening the mandatory bank account

23 minutes ago, proton said:

Then he should does not qualify to be here on a retirement extension

But he does qualify based on monthly income, but for Immigrations unfair order of requiring 12 x monthly transfers, (unless it's from the date of retirement) while those who can obtain an income letter from their Embassy would be acceptable and qualify.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

But he does qualify based on monthly income, but for Immigrations unfair order of requiring 12 x monthly transfers, (unless it's from the date of retirement) while those who can obtain an income letter from their Embassy would be acceptable and qualify.

But then he surely needs to wait a year and show 12x 65k deposits. I don't see how he can even do it the corrupt way with him not being in the country, even then you have to hand over the PP

15 minutes ago, proton said:

But at least he needs to be in the country, if he can be bothered with all the hassle! If you cannot be bothered with getting a letter from the bank and filling a form in what can you be bothered with?

He can enter VE or obtain the Non O visa which he qualifies for before entry.

The problem then being unless he can provide evidence of 12 x monthly overseas transfers, Immigration will not issue a 1 year extension.
The exception being unless you can prove you've just retired.

Compare the fairness of that requirement against a person who can obtain an Embassy income letter, where no actual proof that the person is actually transferring such amounts, just a letter stating his pension income meets the amount.

The OP requires an agent for his first extension, but thereafter could provide 12 x monthly overseas transfers.

Some people prefer to use agents to cut out the bureaucratic procedures they can't be bothered with, not because they can't meet the financial requirements.

How unjust is that for those who just entered Thailand and intending to stay long term, having 800K THB for just 2 months in a Thai you qualify for a 1-year extension of stay, but if using the income method transferred into a Thai bank, they require 12 x monthly transfers, unless you can prove you just retired. The OP is 81, he's hardly just retired.

Amend 138-2557 (2018 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf

Section 2.22 retirement - income.

Evidence showing income not less than 65,000 baht monthly includes:

1) Evidence showing pension - a letter of certification on deposit in the bank in Thailand and bank statement showing money transfer from overseas every month for the past 12 months. Except in a case where the applicant's retirement is less than I year, the evidence must be from the month of retirement. For example, the retirement is started in October 2018, the applicant must show pension payment evidence from November 2018 and pension payment evidence of the whole 12 months is required for the next year or;

2) Income certification certified by the embassy or consular

On 1/4/2024 at 11:48 AM, youreavinalaff said:

If you pass the income requirements, you don't need 800k in the bank.

From my experience in Chaeng Wattana, you can get an extension of Non O / Non OA with THB 65,000 or more monthly deposits for 12 months; however, to convert a visa exempt or tourist visa to a Non O, only THB 800,000 in a Thai bank is acceptable (or a income verification from your embassy which most no longer do); the monthly transfer is non accepted for the initial Non O.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good point, they now (like all agents) charge extra for opening the mandatory bank account

AFAIK, most of the cost of opening the back account goes towards the Bangkok Bank insurance policy.

I paid ฿3,700 two years ago because I'm in the lower age bracket, and that covered the insurance policy plus an opening deposit of ฿521. 

So you're actually getting "something" for your money and not just lining the agent's pocket. If they get anything it's not much.

The OP could, of course, try to open a Bangkok Bank account on his own but that involves a lot of walking around and waiting in bank branches to likely be told "cannot".

Yes, I know you know this but just reiterating it for the OP's benefit 😁

You don't have to pay an agent or take out insurance to open a bank account, if they turn you down you only have to slap 800k on the counter and they will fall over themselves to open one for you!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

But at least he needs to be in the country, if he can be bothered with all the hassle! If you cannot be bothered with getting a letter from the bank and filling a form in what can you be bothered with?

he hasn't got the financials most likely, not aware of the 65k monthly transfers etc = hassle

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

he hasn't got the financials most likely, not aware of the 65k monthly transfers etc = hassle

If that true at 81 he should stay away, there are far more hassles here than a simple visa extension.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a similar situation coming soon as I had to take out the cash from bank for someone elses emergencies. I would be thinking of moving to  Hua Hin. Are there any good agents there?

Scuba has the best recommendation for an agent in my opinion.  They can do just about anything very nice and helpful.  The boss lady is awesome there, but if you make a problem and raise your voice, she will put you in your place.  So, don't do that:)

Edited by bkk6060