Starbucks steams up with price hike, now costlier than Thailand’s minimum wage

webfact

I spent 40k on an espresso machine and grinder around 15 years ago. A great investment. ROI in a year or two and weekly expenses in coffee and milk add up to the cost of 3-4 lattes a week.

Coffee is better as well, not the typical over-roasted S'bucks fare.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You've bought coffee at Starbucks hundreds of times despite finding the coffee weak and insipid? Surely after a few lousy cups you'd stop buying? Assuming 200 purchases, that's about 30,000 baht (with extra shots) you spent on coffee you don't like. 

I didn't say I always bought coffee in there. They do sell things that I like, for example chicken and mushroom pies, sausage rolls, and water. And sometimes it is just a place to meet people, so even though I don't like the coffee much, I am tolerant enough to allow my guest, partner or client to choose the coffee shop we go in.

It is drinkable coffee with the extra shot but very poor value. And if you are a traveller as I am sometimes Starbucks is the only option. But I started going to Starbucks in 1985 so nearly 40 years ago....so perhaps I have wasted 750 baht a year according to you. Mea culpa, what a big silly I am. Luckily, I don't really care about the 750 baht each year going missing, I can afford to take that sort of loss without going hungry or shoeless.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I sometimes would have an Amazon coffee at Sukhumvit MRT and watch people sitting in Starbucks across the way paying twice as much for the same thing. Muppets,

I am It is by no means a Starbucks Champion but they are by no means the same thing.

Amazon gives tiny portions for tiny money offer little staff training and the quality is certainly no better. 

you haven't tried both if you are making an apples-to-apples comparison. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Wow. Here we go.

Amazon coffee is total junk. Real garbage. Their other non coffee products are made with low quality stuff that would be banned in any civilized country. 

I trust starbucks more than Amazon and to compare it is just hilarious.

Yet still people here insist it is better while insisting they have never tried Starbucks. 

they claim people go to Starbucks to appear rich -- yet out of reverse snobbery, they claim they have never been.  

In the grand scheme of things, a group of bitter geriatrics are demographically irrelevant

Edited by n00dle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Yet still people here insist it is better while insisting they have never tried Starbucks. 

they claim people go to Starbucks to appear rich -- yet out of reverse snobbery, they claim they have never been.  

In the grand scheme of things, a group of bitter geriatrics are demographically irrelevant

It's dead simple. Right wingers hate Starbucks over their HR policies. They will deny it but can't explain how it became a worldwide megacorp by supposedly selling crap coffee for high prices. It's totally political.

29 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

ThaiBev own Starbucks in Thailand, they are owned by one of Thailand's richest families.

Exactly. Same like Tim Hortons in Thailand.

And I do prefer Timmy's over Starbucks.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

That's what I think when I visit a gas station and sit outside 7/11 drinking my coffee and watch people across the forecourt drinking coffee in Amazon for twice the price. Muppets.

I never use StarBucks in Thailand as there are so many better options. I have yet to see a 7-11 in a PTT gas station selling their ALL CAFE fresh coffee when there is an Amazon store at the same site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

oh please... these are plenty of independent coffee shops in thailand, why would you waste your money on the insipid coffee and sanitised, dull environment of a starbucks?

The same reason I prefer living in a condo instead of a Thai slum.

That being said, I do enjoy Chiang Mai coffee.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

oh please... these are plenty of independent coffee shops in thailand, why would you waste your money on the insipid coffee and sanitised, dull environment of a starbucks?

Exactly. Not only do independent coffee shops have decent coffee, they also can have character.

Like the one not far away from me which has a middle-aged male boss and about nine young women running around serving coffee. It's a busy place.

They all cracked up when I asked if they were his daughters, and how much the sin sod was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Much of what Charbucks sells is sugar, especially in Thailand. You rarely see the Thais buying a pure coffee drink in Charbucks. Its always a sugar cold drink. I never buy anything at Charbucks because their products are overpriced, watered down, burnt coffee beans and left wing politics.

starbucks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Whenever I have a cuppa at Starbucks, what enhances the pleasant experience is the thought that a Brit outside looking on or passing by has soiled his knickers.

Actually, I understand that is Trump's specialty.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

Much of what Charbucks sells is sugar, especially in Thailand. You rarely see the Thais buying a pure coffee drink in Charbucks. Its always a sugar cold drink. I never buy anything at Charbucks because their products are overpriced, watered down, burnt coffee beans and left wing politics.

Yep, all about the politics. You let that slip out.

I only buy coffee, no food and so no sugar.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Exactly. Same like Tim Hortons in Thailand.

And I do prefer Timmy's over Starbucks.

That's like saying a patient is better being on a drip instead of being intubated in an ICU.

Both are on life support, as Tim Hortons and Starbucks coffee should be.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm always amazed at how hard working folks spend their money on crap. Especially the wages Thais work for. All my years in US punching a time clock, I brought food and coffee from home, hardly ever, ever did I eat out. So, here in Thailand a guy making 500 baht a day spends 50 baht on lunch, that's 10%, to me that's stupid. The mentality of living life day to day is why so many Thais have nothing when they're old. Much the same as US I want to add.

Which is why it boggles my mind when a place like Starbucks is so popular. 

Place like Starbucks is so popular is because not everyone in Thailand is poor! Believe it or not there are people making more than 350baht a day. I do not buy Starbucks, not because of the cost, but because I am not keen on their Coffee. But paying 100 to 150baht on a decently made coffee does not offend me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Starbucks is dishwater masquerading as coffee.

IMO people go to Starbucks to be seen there, look at me, I'm in Starbucks so I must be rich/successful.

Well that's not me. I go to Café Amazon so that means I must be .. umm .. uhh.. damn I wish I'd thought this through.

On a more serious note, this happens whenever Starbucks or other large, often multinational companies get mentioned. Lots of derogatory comments regarding the taste. I think I've only been in Starbucks once in my life. In Khon Kaen I believe, about 10 years ago but I suspect coffee in Starbucks tastes very similar to Café Amazon. What people don't seem to understand is that Starbucks isn't, primarily a supplier of coffee, and the same would go for Café Amazon etc. They are businesses whose main function is to make money, in this case from supplying coffee. It doesn't matter what it tastes like, it matters if people want to buy it. Clearly they do and the companies make a lot of money.

Describing it as tasting like dishwater or paddy water and all the other ridiculous comparisons I've seen make no sense. If you don't like it don't drink it. I doubt it will cause Starbucks to post a profit warning.

What I drink seems to be mainly ice, water in frozen form, more water in liquid form, sugar, and in small quantities a coffee taste. If it's Iced Thai Tea, just substitute the slight coffee flavouring with a little tea 

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What is "Chiang Mai coffee"?

I think it is the one were they force feral cats to eat coffee beans.... and when they crap them out grind em up for a fresh brew.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Starbucks is dishwater masquerading as coffee.

Absolutely and never been more disappointed than when they first Starbucks coffee shops come to Thailand, and I should try a normal black coffee. :bah: Never been back.

Felt

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

I think it is the one were they force feral cats to eat coffee beans.... and when they crap them out grind em up for a fresh brew.

Oh!  So you think he is just using another term to mean Starbucks?

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

That type of coffee is only available in Vietnam. It's called kopi luwak.

I tried to import some into Thailand for my DIL in Australia, she works in a coffee shop. Said she could sell as much as I could get, at a big premium.

Could not make it work, too much red tape.

Edited by Lacessit

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I tried to import some into Thailand for my DIL in Australia, she works in a coffee shop. Said she could sell as much as I could get, at a big premium.

Predominately made in Indonesia, The animal is an Asian Palm Civet.

Thailand too has Asian Palm Civets.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If its 'only available in Vietnam', how come it has an Indonesian name rather than a Viet name?

Clue: It is available in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam.

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

135 baht for 600ml cup of milk is a lot. Can buy in the supermarkets atm 2000ml for 95 baht.

That's a dumb comparison. We're discussing coffee at coffee shops, not the price of milk. I can buy 5000ml of milk for 205 baht and drink coffee at home too.

5 minutes ago, mrfill said:

If its 'only available in Vietnam', how come it has an Indonesian name rather than a Viet name?

Clue: It is available in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam.

Never been to the Philippines, was in Jakarta about 30 years ago and not a big coffee drinker then.

I stand corrected, although I am not sure how I am supposed to know the difference between Vietnamese and Indonesian when I have not learned either language.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Never been to the Philippines, was in Jakarta about 30 years ago and not a big coffee drinker then.

I stand corrected, although I am not sure how I am supposed to know the difference between Vietnamese and Indonesian when I have not learned either language.

And the reason the business venture failed..... comes to light !