Starbucks steams up with price hike, now costlier than Thailand’s minimum wage

webfact

22 hours ago, retarius said:

Good god man, flavoured coffee. Ugh. Hazelnut, caramel, chocolate or whatever other crap they dump in the stuff is vile. Coffee is supposed to be bitter, not sickly sweet. 

I have to admit to liking a milky one...and with a bit of sugar.....but don't go for flavorings, nor even a sprinkling of cocoa powder. They will be using candy sprinkles and crushed nuts like an ice-cream sundae next!

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO we have enough despots on the planet without adding to them. I trust that answers your question.

In the countries of those dictators, coffee would be a luxury reserved for the elites. AFAIK North Korea doesn't have a Starbucks.

I see nothing in your post which contradicts my initial observation.

I have insufficient knowledge to contradict your initial observation, so I merely asked if you are a Trump supporter to verify. AFAIK, we don't have any such on the forum rabidly foaming at the mouth, soiling their knickers, and fighting imagined demons at the utterance of the word Starbucks.

Up to you if you think dictators on the planet :shock1: have something to do with it, but sounds to me more like you've fallen victim to one strain of the dread brain-eating space monkeys. My sympathies. They often plague posters in the Pattaya forum with their "Whither Pattaya? Whither Thailand?" obsessions. Tinfoil hats useless. Only cure seems to be to--wait for it--return to the paradise of the UK and find peace. I'm thinking of one success story at the moment. Happy for 'im.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO we have enough despots on the planet without adding to them. I trust that answers your question.

In the countries of those dictators, coffee would be a luxury reserved for the elites. AFAIK North Korea doesn't have a Starbucks.

I see nothing in your post which contradicts my initial observation.

Cuba - Castro s - coffee comes to mind, so your dictator/coffee doesn't apply.  Along with so many S. American countries.

N. Korea ... really.   Are there any USA chains there ?  They won't even send our (yanks) social security retirement there.

On topic ... a good Cuban coffee is too sweet for me.   Unless extremely bitter to begin with.

On the subject of bitter ..  Trump, give it rest.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Cuba - Castro s - coffee comes to mind, so your dictator/coffee doesn't apply.  Along with so many S. American countries.

N. Korea ... really.   Are there any USA chains there ?  They won't even send our (yanks) social security retirement there.

On topic ... a good Cuban coffee is too sweet for me.   Unless extremely bitter to begin with.

On the subject of bitter ..  Trump, give it rest.

In case you have not noticed, I already have.

Perhaps you could return the favor by giving electric Jesus a rest as well.

• Haha 2

Back on the subject of coffee ... watched the pompous one, as he does know coffee.   Though not a fan of dark roasted, as myself, but he got a surprise doing blind taste taste of brands available in the USA.

Tim Horton's (I've not sampled) coming out a winner.  Honorable mention, Dunkins, which I agree is very good, (only one I've sampled enough) though haven't had for quite some years.

Starbucks, getting the 'decent, dependable, consistent' label.  May have to give them another try, if they still have 2/1 Tuesdays.   The price scared me away, but I didn't realize at the time, how much larger the servings are.

image.png.60ecd8fe89003e1583cba01cc4780c8c.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In case you have not noticed, I already have.

Perhaps you could return the favor by giving electric Jesus a rest as well.

There's a difference between countering the BS, with one's experiences, vs your imagination.

I'm not sure 11 hours counts as giving it a rest.  We'll see.  At least you didn't blame the shortage of sugar on Him.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Back on the subject of coffee ... watched the pompous one, as he does know coffee.   Though not a fan of dark roasted, as myself, but he got a surprise doing blind taste taste of brands available in the USA.

Tim Horton's (I've not sampled) coming out a winner.  Honorable mention, Dunkins, which I agree is very good, (only one I've sampled enough) though haven't had for quite some years.

Starbucks, getting the 'decent, dependable, consistent' label.  May have to give them another try, if they still have 2/1 Tuesdays.   The price scared me away, but I didn't realize at the time, how much larger the servings are.

image.png.60ecd8fe89003e1583cba01cc4780c8c.png

Tim Horten's has quite a few stores here and I was underwhelmed. I would rate Dunkin' over Tim Horten. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

There's a difference between countering the BS, with one's experiences, vs your imagination.

I'm not sure 11 hours counts as giving it a rest.  We'll see.  At least you didn't blame the shortage of sugar on Him.

I don't understand the sugar shortage, as I understand Mitrapol has bought out all sugar production in Australia.

Him with a capital "H" is a bit of a giveaway.

• Haha 1

Still Banging on Starbucks?!

Like Starbucks or Howard Schultz has any idea of pricing in the Thai market? Luckily for them a Thai company does. Thai Bev, their local partner & famous for their connections in high places, here in LOS. They would be the ones changing the price, Seattle office would just rubber stamp. As for friends in high and not so high places. That is the very reason this article  mentions Starbucks and not Thai Bev. Privilege does has its perks. 

OTOH Howard Schultz is realistic about his Thai partners. He knows that there will be discrepancies because of “breakage” Something Carlsberg could not get their heads around. :biggrin:

416860155_808746254596631_4045400861126748444_n.jpg

36 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Still Banging on Starbucks?!

Like Starbucks or Howard Schultz has any idea of pricing in the Thai market? Luckily for them a Thai company does. Thai Bev, their local partner & famous for their connections in high places, here in LOS. They would be the ones changing the price, Seattle office would just rubber stamp. As for friends in high and not so high places. That is the very reason this article  mentions Starbucks and not Thai Bev. Privilege does has its perks. 

OTOH Howard Schultz is realistic about his Thai partners. He knows that there will be discrepancies because of “breakage” Something Carlsberg could not get their heads around. :biggrin:

Prices raised--unconscionably!!!--earlier in UK. You could argue delayed in Thailand.

Pretflation: how Britain’s favourite coffee chains have raised prices again and again

Meanwhile,

Starbucks plans to open 100 new UK sites in Europe expansion

Edited by BigStar

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Prices raised earlier in UK. You could argue delayed in Thailand.

I imagine Starbucks Brit office is every bit about keeping the profit margin intact as Thai Bev is, in these days of worldwide inflation. 

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Me personally the only time I might buy coffee is on a road trip or Airports in which case I don't care about cost. I make drip coffee at home. Your comment begs the question, What's the salary line between poor and not poor. Is 25K/month poor? And I know ladies who are in that income bracket who frequent these coffee places daily in the morning, which is roughly 10% of a daily wage.

That's like me when making good wages and I spend $50.00 on a cup of coffee, well that would be nuts by any standard.

Poor is people making less than 10,000baht/month here. 

As a percentage of "salary" yup it is crazy. 

I refer to a portion of the Thai population who make 100,000baht and up. Perhaps I swing with different crowds but many of my daily interactions are with people in this range. Same people who drink Red Label vs Lao Khao. Or those that own a Hilux vs driving a TukTuk.

On a side note, I oversee a Starbucks operation in Canada and the counter staff make between $16.50-$19.50 per hour (Canadian). This works out to roughly 3,000-5,000baht per day. Compared to a Thai rate of 400baht a day in a Starbucks in Nong Khai.

A Grande, Caramel Latte in Canada is about $9 (my location which is in a tourist town) which is about 225baht. In Nong Khai similar drink is 155baht.

Not sure of all details in the Thai operation but revenue vs labour seems very favourable here (Thailand) vs Canada.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rct99q said:

I refer to a portion of the Thai population who make 100,000baht and up. Perhaps I swing with different crowds but many of my daily interactions are with people in this range. Same people who drink Red Label vs Lao Khao. Or those that own a Hilux vs driving a TukTuk.

On a side note, I oversee a Starbucks operation in Canada and the counter staff make between $16.50-$19.50 per hour (Canadian). This works out to roughly 3,000-5,000baht per day. Compared to a Thai rate of 400baht a day in a Starbucks in Nong Khai.

A Grande, Caramel Latte in Canada is about $9 (my location which is in a tourist town) which is about 225baht. In Nong Khai similar drink is 155baht.

Not sure of all details in the Thai operation but revenue vs labour seems very favourable here (Thailand) vs Canada.

Poor is people who make less than 3000 baht/month, working in the rice fields.

Poor was my GF walking to school 2 km away barefoot, the family could not afford shoes.

Many of the Hilux owners you see are up to their eyeballs in debt.

I don't know how many rural Thais drink coffee, it would not be many at Starbucks prices. 155 baht would feed a family of five at a village restaurant.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, rct99q said:

I would bet that a Starbucks in the US serves 3 to 10 times the number of customers per direct labor hour as a Starbucks in Thailand. Combine that with the exorbitant duty Thailand imposes on Coffee imports I'd be the margins in Thailand are smaller.

Most of the Starbucks I see here would not be open for a month in the US. 

7 minutes ago, siftasam said:

I'm amazed that Thai people pay this ridiculous price for coffee. I have excellent cappuccinos for 65to 70 baht. One excellent coffee shop about 3 minutes walk from Starbucks.

What shop? 

13 minutes ago, siftasam said:

I'm amazed that Thai people pay this ridiculous price for coffee. I have excellent cappuccinos for 65to 70 baht. One excellent coffee shop about 3 minutes walk from Starbucks.

There is a coffee shop in the gasoline station, opposite the Riverside Condo in Nong Hoi, Chiang Mai. I still go there when I visit CM.

I get a large cup of Americano with a dash of milk. . What would be called a flat white in Australia.

50 baht for a very good coffee, way superior to the watered-down stuff purveyed by Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Amazon and Black Canyon.

• Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

There is a coffee shop in the gasoline station, opposite the Riverside Condo in Nong Hoi, Chiang Mai. I still go there when I visit CM.

I get a large cup of Americano with a dash of milk. . What would be called a flat white in Australia.

50 baht for a very good coffee, way superior to the watered-down stuff purveyed by Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Amazon and Black Canyon.

And of course, you've tried Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Amazon and Black Canyon and all the Americanos are watered down. 

I always enjoy a cappuccino at the pump where I get the car washed. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm trying to think of a celebrity who had their own coffee brand, and coming up empty.  The closest I can get is Paul Newman's sauces.

On that, wasn't impressed, but, did just finish my Jimmy Dean' brekkie sausage (copycat recipe) and Damn tasty.   Wife sampled for the first time, and said "make more".   Already in the freezer honey ... 'make more', again. 

Guess she like it.

On topic, washed down with my 'strong' cup of coffee this morning, more than usual, (50gr vs 30gr).

Posted before, but this make a fine large cup of coffee, and been my 'go to' of late.  Nice ratio ... 30gr to 500gr water.   Saves me a lot of coffee, as was doing 50gr with drip method, for same yield 👍

I do plunge, a bit more yield, no sludge, as I pour through a paper filter.

Peeked at Starbuck beans online ... damn pricey :shock1:

Edited by KhunLA

How sad that poor little starbucks only makes 20++ billion profit a year...better raise the prices.

Starbucks annual gross profit for 2023 was $24.567B, a 12.01% increase from 2022. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2022 was $21.933B, a 7.93% increase from 2021. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2021 was $20.322B, a 28.43% increase from 2020.

THAI coffee beans are so good, why would anyone waste money on over roasted coffee from star$ucks?

I bet most of everyone don’t know why coffee from SB is made with super dark beans, without any special flavor. 
It is to ensure all the stores have coffee taste the same and they can sell a uniform repeatable coffee taste. 

when the beans are over roasted (dark), all the special tones and tastes are gone. That’s Starbucks coffee. 

when the beans are medium roasted , you get all the extra flavors derived from the area and soil, such as chocolate, berries, fruits and so on.
So that most good coffee beans will show a different tone and taste different experience. 

my favorites are the beans with chocolate tones, mostly from Brazil. Ethiopian beans are also pretty good. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Where, for example? 

Quite possibly true that most places sell mediocre coffee, even thought the Thai beans are so good. 
Most Thai coffee shops can’t make a nice cup of black coffee or even latte. 

Honestly Starbucks do make great cups just that their beans sux badly and it is way too expensive. Total ripoff. 

Flash coffee is another crap coffee brand.  The taste is just like Starbucks, Lacking on notes. 

22 hours ago, Almer said:

All  they want is the cup for the photo shoot to promote there pathetic ego

poster child for literacy and acceptance, aren't you just?

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

And the reason the business venture failed..... comes to light !

yup. though I think the attempted venture more likely never actually began.

Walter Mitty, coffee importer. 

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2024 at 8:17 AM, KhunLA said:

Not much of a fan of either, Amazon or 7-11 Cafe coffee.  TBH, I'd rather just drink the Hazelnut flavored instant for 20 ish baht that's offered at 7-11.

Inthanon at Bangchak petrol/CS is wee bit better, but not something I'd actually recommend to a coffee drinker.

Last time I bought from 7-11 it was 14bt for Iced Coffee, and since you fill the cup yourself, you do not need to add ice. Excellent!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1