Starbucks steams up with price hike, now costlier than Thailand’s minimum wage

webfact

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

How sad that poor little starbucks only makes 20++ billion profit a year...better raise the prices.

Starbucks annual gross profit for 2023 was $24.567B, a 12.01% increase from 2022. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2022 was $21.933B, a 7.93% increase from 2021. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2021 was $20.322B, a 28.43% increase from 2020.

Really? That's hilarious. Education major? 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If you were as poor as most of those girls you'd be taking a selfie with a starbucks coffee as well.

Poor, define poor with there latest i phones and PCX bikes, if they are so poor forget the coffee selfies and get a job.

9 minutes ago, Almer said:

Poor, define poor with there latest i phones and PCX bikes, if they are so poor forget the coffee selfies and get a job.

Take the blinders off.  People going to the mall for SB, aren't the poor, but the middle class.

The poor go to the mall, to work, hit the food court, maybe, and suck up the free AC, and internet, as their fast promo ran out a week after paying.

They're not living in the condo, townhouses, single family dwellings, unless there's 3 generation there.  One has a scooter, one has pick up, 10-15 yr on, and they don't turn the AC on, if they even have it.

Buy one grilled chicken for 7 people, along with their sticky rice and som tam, for dinner.  Dining out is a plate or bowl of noodles away from the house.

Try living on 10k a month, with any rent, utility, transport payments, petrol/bus fare to work, and then divide what's left by 30, and that's your daily food allowance.

• Like 1

After all this chatter about Starbucks, I felt the need for one this evening. I made an error in pricing in an earlier post. A 20 oz (600ml) cappuccino is 145 baht now, not 135 as I had previously stated. I think that is about a 15-baht increase over 10 years. Shocking!

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

After all this chatter about Starbucks, I felt the need for one this evening. I made an error in pricing in an earlier post. A 20 oz (600ml) cappuccino is 145 baht now, not 135 as I had previously stated. I think that is about a 15-baht increase over 10 years. Shocking!

600ml ... that's literally 3-4 servings of coffee in most shops, so quite the bargain if you ask me @ 48-36 baht a 'cup', in comfy surroundings w/AC.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, pomchop said:

How sad that poor little starbucks only makes 20++ billion profit a year...better raise the prices.

Starbucks annual gross profit for 2023 was $24.567B, a 12.01% increase from 2022. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2022 was $21.933B, a 7.93% increase from 2021. Starbucks annual gross profit for 2021 was $20.322B, a 28.43% increase from 2020.

And yet they need to put their prices up ..and blame it on the economic situation they seem to be contributing to!

• Confused 1

Starbucks Foundation ... putting money back into the community.

What have you done lately, besides complain ?  Anyone forcing you to buy a cuppa from SB ?

That they are extremely good at the business of selling coffee and munchies, benefits everyone involved.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And yet they need to put their prices up ..and blame it on the economic situation they seem to be contributing to!

These profit jumps are likely due to people getting out again after extended lockdowns and fear of contracting Covid in public places. It would be more interesting to see the yearly profit increases in the pre-covid years.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

These profit jumps are likely due to people getting out again after extended lockdowns and fear of contracting Covid in public places. It would be more interesting to see the yearly profit increases in the pre-covid years.

Starbucks are radically increasing their store presence. It's been over 2 years since covid was a problem for coffee shops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

This is such a lovely, dear little myth that I almost hate to debunk it and cause tears.

Obviously, you aren't a regular Starbucks patron. I have been, for a couple of decades. I rarely see any selfies being taken, certainly no more than at any other venue. Fact is, Thais often take selfies, alone or with friends & family, wherever they are. It's an addiction. If you saw one taken at MK, you'd think nothing of it. At Starbucks, it must be different.:cheesy:

I too frequent Starbucks for the coffee and the relaxing atmosphere. I've never considered it to be a place to be "scene" and often it's quite empty in the late evenings when I tend to go. There's an extreme level of shaming going on in this thread, suggesting we need to apologize for going there. We're called muppets by some, dishwater drinkers by others, and straight-out idiots by more direct shamers as if spending an extra 50 - 100 baht is a matter of great concern compared to coffee procured at the local food court or 7Eleven.

I wish I could tell you those members exactly where they can go.

I will educate these people about one of the major reasons many prefer Starbucks over many of the other coffee shops. It's the self-help ordering system. You can grab a coffee and hog a table for hours without being disturbed. No one is going to ask you to order again. This is great for my wife as she doesn't always order coffee, but can still sit without a drink without any pressure to buy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Starbucks are radically increasing their store presence. It's been over 2 years since covid was a problem for coffee shops.

I suggest you study the numbers. The biggest gains were 2020 to 2021, and 2022 to 2023 - gains obviously for life getting back to normal after Covid. The huge jump from 2020 to 2021 is 100% covid related. The 2nd biggest jump was 2023, as tourism was getting back to normal.

41 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I suggest you study the numbers. The biggest gains were 2020 to 2021, and 2022 to 2023 - gains obviously for life getting back to normal after Covid. The huge jump from 2020 to 2021 is 100% covid related. The 2nd biggest jump was 2023, as tourism was getting back to normal.

And the profits are nothing like they are claiming. 

On 1/5/2024 at 6:15 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Starbucks, one of Thailand’s most popular coffee chains, announced that the prices of its beverages will be increased by 5 baht at all of its stores across the country from today. One cup of coffee from Starbucks is now more expensive than Thailand’s national minimum wage.

The corporation says the reason for the price hike is due to the current economic situation, which, according to an official Starbucks statement, has caused the cost of operation and management to increase its prices.

Starbucks Thailand apologised for the inconvenience to all brand loyalists, stating that the company had tried to maintain the price to avoid impacting customers.

The price increase will apply to beverage items only. Other products, including desserts, coffee beans, ready-to-order soft drinks and drinkware, as well as add-on toppings such as syrups and whipped cream, will be offered at the same prices. Drink prices for orders placed through online platforms will also increase.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Starbucks Thailand

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Yet another BILD-Zeitung-level article from BILD-Zeitung-like Thaiger "journalists": both have in common, not to check any fact before publish!

BILD DIr Deine Thaiger Meinung with both links:
- Starsucks price -> https://www.starbucks.co.th/menu/

- Minimum wage in Thailand -> https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-sticks-237-minimum-wage-hike-plan-official-2023-12-20/#:~:text=The current minimum wage is,he told a press conference.

• Haha 1

Didn't realize the purchasing decision of others could be so upsetting? Many on this forum should order a side of mind-your-own-business and stick to your budget. Perhaps a little hypocrisy in that comment?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MonteD said:

Didn't realize the purchasing decision of others could be so upsetting? Many on this forum should order a side of mind-your-own-business and stick to your budget. Perhaps a little hypocrisy in that comment?

Why does a ... like you come here on AN and keep posting dribble about "many, some on this forum"?

Look at your own contributions... oh   sorry contribution means you bring something to the table... you dont.

You are like one of those guests who gets invited to dinner but is too cheap to bring a bottle of wine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:49 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I sometimes would have an Amazon coffee at Sukhumvit MRT and watch people sitting in Starbucks across the way paying twice as much for the same thing. Muppets,

Now the people in Starbucks have yet another reason to watch the muppets in Amazon.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What's wrong with the 3 in 1 from 7-11?

I've drank my share of instant, and enjoyable, but to compare fresh ground coffee, brewed properly, is like asking a Guinness drinker at the pub, what's wrong with Archa beer from 7-11.

One of those ... "If you have to ask ? "

• Agree 1

What coffee costs more than what minimum wage please?  Is there an hourly, weekly, monthly minimum wage covering all types of employment here in Thailand?

Is it that the basic coffees offered are costly or is it the sugar drinks and sugar cakes/buns?

Thanks🙏🏼

On 1/8/2024 at 10:30 AM, BritManToo said:

What's wrong with the 3 in 1 from 7-11?

dunno about the 3 in 1, I guess 3 is sugar? 7-11 coffee is passable.

I do like starbucks coffee though. One stunner at The Avenue remembered my name after 2 years absence during covid. I'm currently about 1 point away from having 4 free drinks. I only use them for special occasions because I get to upsize and add an extra shot to make 3 shots. That's a lot of coffee in one sitting. No way I'm going to not have it though.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, notrub said:

What coffee costs more than what minimum wage please?  Is there an hourly, weekly, monthly minimum wage covering all types of employment here in Thailand?

Is it that the basic coffees offered are costly or is it the sugar drinks and sugar cakes/buns?

Thanks🙏🏼

The price of a Starbucks coffee vs the daily minimum wage is irrelevant anyway. It is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The price of a Starbucks coffee vs the daily minimum wage is irrelevant anyway. It is what it is. 

Obviously someone is not going to spend half a days wage, for 1 large coffee.   That same person, on minimum wage isn't looking to buy a Porsche either.   Just another silly thread.

Buy 3 or 4 coffees at local/TH coffee shop, or buy 1 large coffee for same price (or less) at SB (20oz / 590ml)

Not many minimum wage Thais are visiting any coffee shops for a cup of coffer.

• Love It 1