Thailand’s escalating smog crisis: 48 provinces engulfed by unsafe air quality

snoop1130

Mote.jpg

Heavy smog has engulfed 48 out of Thailand’s 77 provinces, rendering the air quality unsafe due to high levels of ultra-fine dust. As of this morning, Tuesday, January 9, 21 provinces reported red-level air pollution, a serious health threat.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) reported that the particulate matter 2.5 micrometres and less in diameter (PM2.5) levels reached between 75.9 to 145.2 microgrammes per cubic metre of air over the past 24 hours at 9am today. This was a significant increase from yesterday’s hazardous PM2.5 levels, which ranged between 38.1 and 112.3µg/m³ across 41 provinces. For reference, the government’s safe threshold for PM2.5 is set at 37.5µg/m³.

The 21 provinces under red-level air pollution in Thailand, listed in descending order, are Samut Sakhon (145.2µg/m³), Samut Songkhram (135.7µg/m³), Nakhon Pathom (120.1µg/m³), Nonthaburi (116.3), Bangkok (111.8), Ang Thong 104.4), Samut Prakan (103.4), Pathum Thani (102.5), Ratchaburi (101.4), Lop Buri (98.0), Sing Buri (96.7), Ayutthaya, 94.7), Chai Nat (94.3), Saraburi (94.1), Phetchaburi (93.0), Suphan Buri (90.8), Kanchanaburi (83.2), Chachoengsao (81.7), Uthai Thani (80.7), Prachin Buri (77.9) and Nakhon Sawan (75.9).

Additionally, 27 provinces have reported orange levels of PM2.5, signifying a preliminary degree of health harm. These provinces include Chon Buri, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Tak, Sukhothai, Chanthaburi, Phetchabun, Kamphaeng Phet, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Lamphun, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Maha Sarakham, Nong Bua Lamphu, Kalasin, Buri Ram, Ubon Ratchathani, Trat, Surin, Phrae, Loei and Roi Et.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: PHOTO: via Mote.io

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Unfortunately the report listed a lot of areas.

However, I was missing some information about the source of those unhealthy particles.

And in addition, I am missing actions by the Government if possible.🙏

Cambodia burning was mentioned in a source I saw. 

I really am dreading this years hot season!

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Cambodia burning was mentioned in a source I saw. 

I really am dreading this years hot season!

Yes, me too. And it's starting very early. I'll spend some months at the seaside in the South. However, remember last year. All over Asia a cloud of pollution. Probably our future here with climate change 

• Haha 1

Kanchanaburi is absolutely dreadful right now. We've all got runny noses and sore throats and our doctor says it's air pollution related. All the local school kids seem to have the same and nobody seems to give a <deleted>. Wifey had a word with a Police friend about all the sugarcane burning going on right now and the answer was 'we can't do anything about it'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

On the tail end of a bought of bronchitis and not enjoying this! ( Rant over)

Glad you're starting to feel better...

I do believe you may be a candidate for Guinness World Record for the shortest ever rant!

My province, Khon Kaen, is one of the 'dirty' ones yet the AQI quoted in the screenshot, about 4 km from me, shows a 'Good' 42.

The air 'feels' OK, breathing's fine, no coughs. It's been far worse here in previous Januarys and might well change for the worse tomorrow.Screenshot2024-01-10113712.png.0ca53f7647d257474c32b5fdd9e939b1.png

1 hour ago, sungod said:
5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just nice to be in one of the 29 that is not listed.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

So 29 provinces without air quality monitors........

Not so. Here is Sakon Nakhon this morning. The air is just fine where we live 20 kms to the east of the city.

Screenshot (35).png

It will never change.   It takes billions of dollars and many years to reduce this problem. They can start with the filthy tuk tuks and the sidecar motorbikes that are always old and belching exhaust. Then go to the buses.

I will help you guys out. I will go to Indonesia and start a few smoldering fires there... As the smoke covers Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia. Look at your wife , Gf . And see if she is worth it... 

Edited by Gknrd