Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

On 1/11/2024 at 7:37 AM, Ralf001 said:

hahahahahaha, wonder  how much money people that rushed to open weed shops will be flushing down the toilet !

Guess you are out of touch with reality, most shop owners i know made 10x money already neither will they stop. Just pay police.

but your illogical thinking does not surprise me, its like the thai gov.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Guess you are out of touch with reality, most shop owners i know made 10x money already neither will they stop. Just pay police.

They would be 10 weed shops in my little soi on the darkside of Pattaya, If they are making money it is because the shops are just a front for other activates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

However, I'm not endorsing that claim that Prayuth was "the most expat friendly PM Thailand ever had". He simply put the big pan of boiling frogs on simmer.

A very low simmer. He made Thai citizenship easier to get for starters, and his government turned Thailand into a dope smoker's paradise. 

Edited by sidneybear

I was in kao sarn road in December bars are busy , cannabis shops not really, probably because the cost of a joint is high , and if your in ksr it's better if your pissed than stoned , youngsters want to dance to the music not mong out doing nothing

if i take pattaya as excample ,all of this shops are empty ( sry maybe one in best location have customers) in averge i see 0 or 1 , 2 customers

maybe they buy it for home , but if i use shops as parameter, they will even close,minimum for the most

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:27 AM, bamnutsak said:

People may be able to widely possess, consume, and use marijuana and hemp, which will have an impact on public health. as well as the economy and society of the country However, marijuana and hemp are plants that It is useful in medicine and health

Isn't that totally contradictory?

:cheesy:

6 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

Yet another blatant disinformation article by TVF. They are merely doing what it was legalized for in the first place. And these “changes” are already in effect unless they bring back the medical certificates again. 

Wrong.

It was removed from the narcotics list, so is no longer illegal to grow, buy, sell, use or possess cannabis. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

It looks like Prik Pot haven’t got the memo about cannabis advertising, yet? There is an advert at the bottom of this feed 🤩

You should spend more time reading the article instead of the adverts, far more informative.  ITS A DRAFT ONLY!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I'm surprised you can smell it over the drains and stink of effluence that is everywhere in the centre of the city. 

As Im sure your aware they exude a horrid stench, their patrons no doubt do too.

• Confused 1

A lot of people here saying its too; ate cos the cat is out of the bag are just wishful thinking I believe> I dont know if this will happen or not, but Thailand is known for its flip-flopping, and don't forget there is a new political party in charge, and their main man Thaksin is back, who started the war on drugs that led to many executions. So, cat out of the bag or not, They do not care. I would not be surprised at all if it actually happens

1 hour ago, koratkarlos said:

The real issue here in Thailand is YABA, not weed.  I hope they pay attention to the YABA problem also.

Mmmm baggy of pills.

few large bottles of regency.

3 bar girls.

200b a night fan room.

Fun times !!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

And your "reality" suggests that shop owners are those blowing a wad on this passing fad. The landlords RENT these shophouses to the dopes, so the dopes are the ones that lose money and go broke. The 'shop owners' are (still) laughing all the way to the bank. Same as they did when they rented the shop out as a bar, then an internet cafe, then a coffee shop, then a mobile phone shop, then a massage shop and now a weed shop.

Sheesh...

• Confused 1

On 1/11/2024 at 2:22 PM, NanLaew said:

Smoke this...

Anutin Charnvirakul of the pro-marijuana Bumjaithai Party. Health Minister in the last government and now Interior Minister in this photocopy of a government.

And get back to me.

Smoke this...

Learn the definition of government

And get back to me.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:06 PM, NanLaew said:

You mean the government?

Hear! Hear!

THe problem is, that you smoke to much

and now u are salty

because you are a criminal again

maybe move to the nehterlands

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

The Thai government will be concerned about the economy and bringing in the tourists and this is what’s bringing them back. 

What weed?

I doubt it. It was widely smoked before they 'legalised' it - just maybe not so openly.

I am yet to meet anyone who decided to visit Thailand because weed was legalised, maybe because it wasn't, or was it? Damned if I know - there's been nothing but confusion from the start.

One of the biggest farms in the country (as far as I know) is still the same size now as it was 9 years ago when I first visited it.  The point being, that weed has been produced, large scale for many years. As fas as I can see, all that's changed is its on view now - and by the looks of things its going underground again.

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good grief - don't you realise the same people are still in charge?! 

Well said that man!  Glad to see at least one other member knows the score.  Coup? Elected Government?  Whoever appears to be 'in charge' its just an illusion. Not sure if its 5 or 6 families that actually run Thailand - and have done for many years.

As long as there are no new laws prohibiting possession then everyone should be able to continue to possess it as long as they aren't using it for recreational use. You'll only need to insist you aren't enjoying it when using it. 🤩

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, urthebozo said:

anyone know how long this will take to pass or rejected?

Last I heard it could go for a parliamentary vote on Jan 23. That date could of course also change or get delayed. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sateuk said:

I was in kao sarn road in December bars are busy , cannabis shops not really, probably because the cost of a joint is high , and if your in ksr it's better if your pissed than stoned , youngsters want to dance to the music not mong out doing nothing

Many young people get high and dance. Many also drink, lose balance, fall down, vomit, and then can't dance. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Your age is showing. Cannabis is not a gateway drug and will not cause you to "upgrade" to harder drugs - that's a completely false narrative spread many years ago. I personally don't use drugs at all, including Cannabis, but this is just false propaganda.

Oh no!!!  its a reality more than ever now for too many of those who started with consuming external substances e.g. Cannabis for:- emotional relief, dysfunctional family background, lack of self esteem etc, etc. then that drug (or maybe pharmacy gear?) becomes a psychological "gateway" to go stronger then stronger and the "addiction pit" progressively becomes steeper and deeper. 

The several hundreds I've worked with in the drug (and alcohol) rehab scene over many years would agree with the "gateway" syndrome as described above is NOT false propaganda and wished they had heard about that worthy motto :- "N.E.O.  not even once".

The ratio of addiction used to be about 20/80%  D/A, but tragically that's probably reversed now.    

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

Here is part of the public consultation meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZRR6GY1Nc. It was rather poorly attended by people in the weed business.  Small business people asking questions, but unfortunately no legal hotshots challenging the draft.  Most of them seemed like very ordinary guys trying to make a living but not very knowledgeable about legal matters. So can be easily ridden roughshod over.  I thought they had better legal muscle from articles I had read.  The biggest complaints were about Section 25, the prohibition on recreational use, and a ridiculous, broad definition of recreational in the law.  There are penalties for recreational use of a fine of I think 60lk and or 1 year in jail but also penalties for the seller. They asked how can they know, if they sell for medicinal use and someone uses it for fun. The definition of recreational can overlap with medical, they pointed out, e.g, .if you take it for Parkinsons and that allows you to relax and enjoy yourself, then, it appears that you have crossed the line to recreational use. They said police would be incentivized to go into someone backyard to arrest him for smoking a joint, if the cop make an instant judgement that he was enjoying himself smoking it, even though it was for medicinal purposes.

Recent reports on the draft kept saying that the shops would no longer be allowed to sell dried buds but I didn't see or hear anything about that and the questions seemed to suggest they would still be able to sell buds for medicinal purposes.  Also there was no discussion of doctor prescriptions. Perhaps that is all to follow in ministerial regulations that don't need to go through parliament. The whole thing seems all very surreal, especially against a backdrop where they are planning to partially decriminalize amphetamines by not prosecuting possession of up to 5 pills. A year in prison for smoking a join for fun instead of for medicinal purposes but no prosecution for speed pills, no matter whether they were for recreational purposes or not.

• Like 1