U.S. Social Security SSA-1099 Tax Form Received 2023

I am a compulsive record keeper so I usually know ALL my inflows by Jan 2 or so.  However, this year SSA threw me a curve ball and finally approved my application for benefits that I filed in June '23.  Between Christmas and New Years they notified me that they would pay my back benefits.  That approval was dated Dec. 27, but the payment didn't hit the bank until Jan. 3.  Now, I'm not sure if SSA considers that I received the back pay in '23 or '24.

It's good to hear that those 1099's are provided quickly after the new year.  I like to submit my very simple tax forms (online) as soon as the IRS starts accepting them.

27 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I like to submit my very simple tax forms (online) as soon as the IRS starts accepting them.

The IRS has said they will start accepting returns on January 29, 2024.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2024-tax-filing-season-set-for-january-29-irs-continues-to-make-improvements-to-help-taxpayers

Of course, with some software you can efile/submit earlier, it is held and submitted on that future date.

I think SSA-1099s are also available on the mySSA site towards the end of January, or early February.

57 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Of course, with some software you can efile/submit earlier, it is held and submitted on that future date.

I've used OLT for a free online tax filing service.  Last year I finished our taxes before the IRS started accepting them and OLT held them until IRS was ready.

We structure our income to nudge right up to the boundary where the US tax rate becomes greater than 0.

I use the Excel spreadsheet made available as donationware to calculate how much IRA withdrawal to make each tax year.

About 4 years ago, I compared the spreadsheet output with what the TurboTax software gave.  The numbers were in complete agreement.

Link to US 1040 Excel spreadsheet:

https://sites.google.com/view/incometaxspreadsheet/home

On 1/11/2024 at 4:24 PM, bamnutsak said:

I think SSA-1099s are also available on the mySSA site towards the end of January, or early February.

Well, of course, you can always take your benefits statement, received a year ago, and take your monthly entitlement, pre medicare deductions and tax withholdings, if any, multiply by 12 -- and there you have it, a self generated 1099. And since, if you efile or have no tax withholdings on your SS payments, no real 1099 is needed -- just the numbers. So, yeah, like to do my taxes as early as possible -- and like others have said, TurboTax, and other tax software, will just hold my tax return until the IRS opens its doors. Like to have this out of the way earliest, in case I croak. Do the same with FBARS -- filed mine and wife's Jan 2, using the Bank of Thailand Average Bank Interbank Exchange Rate -- which is allowable when the asked for Treasury Rate is not yet available.