How many millions of baht does one need to retire in Pattaya?

advancebooking

5 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

I own condo 36 m2 near the beach.I live with Thai wife which cook food every day.We have motorcycle and bycicle .About 5-6 time per month and we eat in restaurants,mostly in Terminal 21.Monthly cost does not exceed 45000 BHT per month.Average 35-40.000 BHT.We have a pool,jim and we are close 400 m. to the wonderful beach in Wongamat.My monthly income-pension  is about 65000 BHT.You can rent nice studio in a good location for about 4000-6000 THB per month.

So, to answer OPs question, do you think 30 to 35mill is do able?

5 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

I own condo 36 m2 near the beach.I live with Thai wife which cook food every day.We have motorcycle and bycicle .About 5-6 time per month and we eat in restaurants,mostly in Terminal 21.Monthly cost does not exceed 45000 BHT per month.Average 35-40.000 BHT.We have a pool,jim and we are close 400 m. to the wonderful beach in Wongamat.My monthly income-pension  is about 65000 BHT.You can rent nice studio in a good location for about 4000-6000 THB per month.

36m2 is pretty small for one person.  Too small for two people imo.  You can get a barely adequate studio in a less than ideal location for 4000-6000.  I wouldn't say nice in a good location.  One of the best deals I have found that meets my definition of "nice studio" is Baan Suan Laluna.  You can maybe find a nice 42sqm place there starting around 7000b on a 1 year contract.  Nice pool, quiet location.  However, it's a less than ideal location for the majority of people way out on Chaiyaphruek Rd Jomtien closer to Sukhumvit than the beach. Having your own transportation is pretty much mandatory there.  That is the sort of location you would need to live to get a "nice studio" for less than around 10,000b.  I don't think a "nice studio" for 4000 is possible anymore.  At least not what most would consider nice and certainly not in a 'good' location.  I suppose if you were to go to the other side of Sukhumvit or down to Bang Saray you might find something.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

36m2 is pretty small for one person.  I would go nuts living with someone else in something that small.  

The thought of 36m2 with a Thai lady cooking....... I can see why people choose to balcony dive.

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

Or 100% loss if/when it all unravels. I'll stick to my relatively safe current strategy and take my 5-7% thanks. 

Dont you want to make real money. I would not get out of bed for 7%. 

Your 5% is earnt on an IOU basis. In your name but anything can happen with the centralized company who has your  money. 

When you buy bitcoin and you have the private keys to your trezor wallet its 100% your money. And you have an incredible store of value thats been the best performing asset class in the last 10 years. I dont know why people are so conservative and only want 5%. Whats the point

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

The thought of 36m2 with a Thai lady cooking....... I can see why people choose to balcony dive.

36m2 is pretty good place to live for us.This is our condo near the beach with balkony as well,large swimming pool,jim .And I am owner with yellow Tabien Baan.We have 10 BHT bus near by and can reach

anywhere in Pattaya very easy.Sometime we use our motorcycle .Kitchen is separate ,so no any smell.

For me is much better solution to have condo than rent .Besides,Wongamat is maybe the best place to live in Pattaya.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

36m2 is pretty good place to live for us.This is our condo near the beach with balcony as well,large swimming pool,jim .And I am owner with yellow Tabien Baan.We have 10 BHT bus near by and can reach

anywhere in Pattaya very easy.Sometime we use our motorcycle .Kitchen is separate ,so no any smell.

For me is much better solution to have condo than rent .Besides,Wongamat is maybe the best place to live in Pattaya.Baan Suan Lalana can not be compared with wongamat.

Edited by vukovar77
make more clear

8 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Dont you want to make real money. I would not get out of bed for 7%. 

Your 5% is earnt on an IOU basis. In your name but anything can happen with the centralized company who has your  money. 

When you buy bitcoin and you have the private keys to your trezor wallet its 100% your money. And you have an incredible store of value thats been the best performing asset class in the last 10 years. I dont know why people are so conservative and only want 5%. Whats the point

The point is that my 5-7% ROI is pretty much guaranteed and is both what I want and what I require. This will hopefully enable me to live a long and enjoyable retirement. It is entirely aligned with what I planned to achieve many, many moons ago. I have no more than 2.5% of my pot in any one particular share, fund etc so the possibility of all investments failing is remote to say the least.

Back in the day, did you sit there and hope that someone would invent some new currency that goes up and down likes a whores knickers and that you can only actually spend in relatively few instances? Is/was this your retirement strategy? You seem to conveniently forget that some people may have bought in at a much higher price than it's currently trading at. I'm sure many people have made lots of money from it. I'm also sure that many people have lost plenty. It generates no ongoing income stream other than selling a portion, hopefully when it's worth more than you paid for it. 

As I have already said, I'll stick with my current way of investing thanks. It works for me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Keeps said:

The point is that my 5-7% ROI is pretty much guaranteed and is both what I want and what I require. This will hopefully enable me to live a long and enjoyable retirement. It is entirely aligned with what I planned to achieve many, many moons ago. I have no more than 2.5% of my pot in any one particular share, fund etc so the possibility of all investments failing is remote to say the least.

Back in the day, did you sit there and hope that someone would invent some new currency that goes up and down likes a whores knickers and that you can only actually spend in relatively few instances? Is/was this your retirement strategy? You seem to conveniently forget that some people may have bought in at a much higher price than it's currently trading at. I'm sure many people have made lots of money from it. I'm also sure that many people have lost plenty. It generates no ongoing income stream other than selling a portion, hopefully when it's worth more than you paid for it. 

As I have already said, I'll stick with my current way of investing thanks. It works for me.

How can you be so obtuse. 

https://dailyhodl.com/2024/01/11/cathie-wood-issues-bullish-alert-says-etf-approval-has-raised-probability-of-bitcoin-skyrocketing-to-1500000/

In 10 years time I think you will have regrets. I hope that you will remember this conversation we had. 

Its the smartest people that I know (friends) who have ALL missed the boat with bitcoin. 

7 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

In 10 years time I think you will have regrets. I hope that you will remember this conversation we had. 

Firstly, I doubt it and secondly, I doubt it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yeah, yeah,

It's an anonymous forum, you can be anything you want to be.

I'm a Nigerian Prince this week.

You are actually trying to say, with or without a bloody degree, (which is completely irrelevant), that 800K GBP cash savings in a bank, no house equity involved, plus he'll have other income, is a paltry sum?

Bloody nonsense!

Can't you read the OP? 

Lump sum amount - in total. No mention of adding on a house or a convenient bucket of diamonds is there?

So i will recap, £800k total assets, mid 50's, not that great.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Long term studies have shown the average real ( after inflation ) return for stocks is around 5 % , so , take off say 1.5 % for costs and that leaves you with 3.5 % pa.

The average UK income is £ 35 k , so you would need around £ 1 million invested .

That would provide a sustainable 120 ,000 per month . Should be plenty .

I would guess that the budget for ladies would decrease with age - nobody wants to be the oldest swinger in town .

36 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You could have bought btc at 69K in 2021 and already halved your money.

And I know you gonna come back and say smart people don't buy at those prices, but if people weren't buying en masse it would never have reached that price

It's funny how anonymous internet posters always seem to be so good at timing the market.  I guess they have so much money they have nothing better to do other than post on message boards.

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Because 5% return on 7 digits gbp is still an awful lot of free money.

Thats why we don't need crypto cr@p.

So in your words, 5% is decent safe return. It's also widely and fairly easily achievable.

In your words,' an awful lot of free money' based on 1,000,000 GBP.

So the man with 800K GBP could get in interest alone he would have in the region of 136,000 baht a month without touching his capital.

He can well afford his 30K condo rent a month in his mid-fifties age bracket plus his 2 massage women a week and have plenty left over to put aside.

You have killed your own argument.

What was your degree in? I don't think it was mathematics.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I always find it pretty silly when someone asks how much money they need to retire. How would strangers on a forum know what your spending habits are as everyone is different. Some are comfortable paying 1000 baht for a meal, others won't go near a place that has 250 baht meals. Some don't drink, others drink 15 beers every day, others only drink more expensive spirits, some like splashing cash on ladies, others don't etc, etc

When I retired I owned my own condo and based on my holidays in Pattaya I budgeted 100k spending money per month. Fact is that living here life becomes 'routine' and I rarely spend more than 30k a month (I don't splash cash on ladies)

Buying a condo was the best thing as I have no rent and it includes cable TV, wifi, Gym, Sauna and 3 swimming pools to relax without spending any baht (it would rent for 40k)

I didn't think the Nirun Apartments had a gym, 

No you done absolutely well in retirement buying your 21sqm room to sit in every day considering you didn't work all your life , enjoy your retirement 👍😁

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Agree 1