Vietnam retirement

9 hours ago, BE88 said:

Taxes here don't worry me at all, but finding out about other people's experiences with Vietnam seems normal to me and changing countries can be more interesting for a certain period.

If you prefer to always live in Thailand, no problem for me.:smile:

It's OK. I have lived and worked in Vietnam too. My post was tongue-in-cheek viz the recent events here in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

If Vietnam had a decent retirement visa system, I’d seriously consider moving there.  

From what I currently see on YouTube, the people that are living there now as expats are leaving the country periodically and living on their tourist visas. I suppose that’s doable, but it might get old after a while.  

• Agree 1

Can you get married;

"5-year visa exemption for Vietnam is granted to Vietnamese overseas, foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese overseas, or Vietnamese citizens. The visa exemption certificate acts as a long-term visa for its holders to visit Vietnam at any time within 5 years."

Cost is $ 155 for 5yrs. I consider this if/when I find her.

I already had one offer but she wasn't my type. Lovely lady otherwise. The family had a large coffee and tea plantation up in the mountain next to Cambodia. I learned to process coffee in Kealakekua, HI.

So there are genuine opportunities.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Can you get married;

"5-year visa exemption for Vietnam is granted to Vietnamese overseas, foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese overseas, or Vietnamese citizens. The visa exemption certificate acts as a long-term visa for its holders to visit Vietnam at any time within 5 years."

Cost is $ 155 for 5yrs. I consider this if/when I find her.

I already had one offer but she wasn't my type. Lovely lady otherwise. The family had a large coffee and tea plantation up in the mountain next to Cambodia. I learned to process coffee in Kealakekua, HI.

Good luck then. 😁

5 hours ago, GypsyT said:

ok she's my type. got the contact info?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

ok she's my type. got the contact info?

Yes I do but she found an French man (who's broke...) and they are already planning marriage and family together.

When women get biological clock ticking they loose common sense.... almost ANY man is OK.

PS. In order to marry in Vietnam they require psychological evaluation. Would you pass?

I'm on border line...

Edited by GypsyT
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Yes I do but she found an French man (who's broke...) and they are already planning marriage and family together.

When women get biological clock ticking they loose common sense.... almost ANY man is OK.

PS. In order to marry in Vietnam they require psychological evaluation. Would you pass?

I'm on border line...

Psychological evaluation, never heard of it before, but does it help if you have communist ideas?😁😁😁

I think it's a proper thing. Specially if husband is one of the "Pattaya Boys"....

"Mental Health Certificate:
A written certification granted by a Vietnamese or competent foreign health organization within 6 months of the date the marriage application is submitted. The certificate must certify that the applicant does not have mental health conditions which render him/her incapable of making independent decisions"

"does it help if you have communist ideas?😁😁😁

Maybe. It depends who's the winner after WW III dust has settled between China & the US.

In the US "communism" has always been something terrible and scary. Jesus was a communist! He wanted all to have same level of earthly stuff.

We in the EU, who have lived close to Russia, have seen they can't make simple bottle opener w/o copying it.

The war in Ukraine should have been over in 4 days - according to Putin.

It was a farce, 40 yrs old tires on trucks were popping like cherries on South Beach during spring brake....

The only thing that scares me is Russia's nukes.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I think it's a proper thing. Specially if husband is one of the "Pattaya Boys"....

"Mental Health Certificate:
A written certification granted by a Vietnamese or competent foreign health organization within 6 months of the date the marriage application is submitted. The certificate must certify that the applicant does not have mental health conditions which render him/her incapable of making independent decisions"

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

"does it help if you have communist ideas?😁😁😁

Maybe. It depends who's the winner after WW III dust has settled between China & the US.

The only thing that scares me is Russia's nukes.

It is clear that the state decides for you whether a wife or husband suits you. This is still a remnant of communism, now everything is different. Communism and democracy is derived towards the oligarchic in one and only version. whether there will be WWIII will depend on an accident and not on political will in which case the survivors will be well busy surviving if they succeed.

But on the other hand it is clear that if you live in a country with a strong power same Vietnam you are less likely to be involved in a bloody revolution like in a country like Thailand where all the power is becoming insecure and weak leaving a rather uncertain future.

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2024 at 9:50 AM, BE88 said:

whether there will be WWIII will depend on an accident and not on political will in which case the survivors will be well busy surviving if they succeed.

History shows you can not crush religious ideology, nor can you crush political ideology.  On that basis, you can invade and occupy, but not conquer.  We have seen this in recent history. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Does not exist.

Forget Vietnam. 

There are talking about it although I have not heard anything new on that for a couple months now.

• Sad 1

In Da Nang there is a lot of land available for developers to build condos, hotels and housing, but no or very little take up. Issuing retirement visas could alter this situation so is being considered.

On the other hand, there is a fear that they could be swamped by certain nationalities à la Cambodia.

On 7/14/2024 at 10:50 AM, champers said:

In Da Nang there is a lot of land available for developers to build condos, hotels and housing, but no or very little take up. Issuing retirement visas could alter this situation so is being considered.

On the other hand, there is a fear that they could be swamped by certain nationalities à la Cambodia.

I encourage people to visit Da Nang before it gets ruined.  There is construction everywhere so I give it another 10 years maybe.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

I encourage people to visit Da Nang before it gets ruined.  There is construction everywhere so I give it another 10 years maybe.

Thank you for your suggestion, with a 90 day e- visa it could be a nice discover.

VIETNAM ELECTRONIC VISA (E-VISA) 

From 15th August 2023, Vietnam grants e-visas for citizens of all countries and territories with 90-day stay duration and valid for multiple entry.

https://vietnam.travel/plan-your-trip/visa-requirements

• Like 1

An other reason I like Vietnam;

https://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/en/post/19449

That Tourist site is a good source. Sure, it's promoting but refreshingly honest to my experience.

Story behind hotel boom from 2019:

https://skift.com/2019/01/15/the-method-to-the-madness-behind-vietnams-crazy-hotel-boom/

Sample of dead dream:

https://e.vnexpress.net/photo/news/half-finished-hotel-projects-leave-central-vietnams-coast-wasted-4572836.html

Edited by GypsyT
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 12:50 AM, champers said:

They don't seem to care about occupancy. It's big money behind the development, payoffs, loans, etc.

On 7/16/2024 at 1:54 AM, shdmn said:

I remember Da Nang in 1971.

Very peaceful.

Not much traffic.

Good French bread.

Many begging children, though..

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1