Milk Prices Increase

snoop1130

8 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I think i have tried it ...no noticeable difference to me

But i meant powder v meiji - but i will stick to the real thing

1) Thai Danish pasteurised (a bit hard to get in Chiang Rai).

2)Meiji a close second.

3) Dutch Mill a distant third.

If I have to use a carton of UHT, then always go for Thai - Danish men

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it is too cheap. Almost all over the world, the farmers have to struggle to get profit in their business.

You are right remembering last year they as a 30 % drop in raw milk due to dairy farmers giving up, they cannot make it pay, feed cost going up and they debt to the banks going up.

Ok they management could be a lot better, the average cows yield in Thailand is 12-13 kg/day per cow not a lot you need ( when I last milked cows in the UK we got an average of 23 kg/day/cow that was 25 years ago), 10-11 kg/cow/day to break even ,very few farmers produce they own feed it is all brought in ,it does not take a lot, to make a loss ,with poor quality rice straw the main sauce of forage ,that is the main cause of low yields ,and as some members have said in the past about Thai milk not having any flavor ,that is the reason why. 

• Like 1

Rehydrated milk?....not for me, thanks.....I want to drink stuff that comes from cows, not stuff from NZ adulterated by a agri-company....I don't trust food and beverage companies based on what they do with other food and beverages. 

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:54 AM, bbko said:

Anyone know if yogurt can be made using powder milk? How does it taste?

Powdered milk works fine for yogurt, UHT mik does not.

The taste depend on the milk powder but Ive had no problems. The milk usually taste a bit better after a few days in the fridge, do this before making your yogurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.41df397530c491b5d5d634a1e9dcfb39.png

The label says where the milk comes from, but not where it's processed or if it has ever entered China on its way over here. 

Does anyone remember when the Chinese added melamine - yes, melamine- to baby formula to artificially raise the protein content and ended up killing a large number of kids?  Someone was shot for the crime, then the same batch of melamine showed up in yogurt months later, in a different part of the country.  It makes their "gutter oil" look wholesome in comparison.  

• Like 1

I just put it in the cart and pay whatever rings up on the register.  The average Thai will find milk unaffordable before most "rich farangs."  You think it's expensive now?  Wait until the ฿500 Billion THB give-a-way is injected into the Thai monetary supply.  Happiness to the people until hyperinflation hits. 

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Another CH hater ... better get rid of most of your electronic, car probably, and so many other things.  Turn the grid off also, as that's probably running with components from CH also.

What country hasn't had some type of food scandal ?

Have a nice day.

Put the doobie out and give a proper rebuttal to my statement. 

What other country has put melamine into baby formula?  Bueller?  Bueller? 

23 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Put the doobie out and give a proper rebuttal to my statement. 

What other country has put melamine into baby formula?  Bueller?  Bueller? 

A rebuttal to your prejudice ... why waste my time.  Some reading for you .

Y'all are hopelessly lost within yourselves.

Have a nice day = don't bother, as I won't reply.

Edited by KhunLA

30 minutes ago, connda said:

I just put it in the cart and pay whatever rings up on the register.  The average Thai will find milk unaffordable before most "rich farangs."  You think it's expensive now?  Wait until the ฿500 Billion THB give-a-way is injected into the Thai monetary supply.  Happiness to the people until hyperinflation hits. 

I bought a couple kg to test out.  Not so much for price, though a plus, but for reserve when I'm too lazy to go to store, when we run out.  Usually have a stash of UHT, but that was silly priced last time I saw it on the shelf, and they don't stock as much, so iffy supply.  Use to be pallet/skid of it at Makro, now (maybe because of price), just a small amount on the shelf.

Main reason ... states makes 7 L, so I'm thinking, make 6 L or less, and it will taste better.  A lot of the milk sold world wide is from milk powder.  Not so much here/TH though, and that I've noticed on the labels.

Edited by KhunLA

On 1/18/2024 at 9:58 PM, john donson said:

in many 7/11 'drinks' there is hardly any milk... water, lot's of sugar, ... add flavor

That is because it is made from imported, from Australia and NZ. milk powder.

Talking to a friend of mine in the know he said next year quotas and tax on imported milk power will be lifted, making it cheaper for milk companies to use milk powder than whole milk, the Thai dairy industry being so inefficient, could lead to big problems, but he did say it could be a mix say 60-40, milk powder, whole milk, watch this space.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:01 PM, worgeordie said:

When fresh milk was in short supply a few months ago , I started buying

dried full fat milk produced in NZ , rehydrated it's much better than local

milk , the NZ cows are out in green pastures ,so make a better quality milk ,

regards worgeordie

This time, you are 100% correct, instead of your usual 98.6 percent correct.

I learned that the imported milk, dehydrated, was far better than the local milk in Taiwan.

And cheaper.

I once knew the guys that started marketing KLIM, years ago.

They thought that Milk spelled Backwards was the simplest and most meaningful name available.

That guy had been in Asia for a very long time.

As I recall, he also worked at a very successful shoe design and marketing company with a branch in Taipei.

So, I am just saying that you are right.

Regards...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This time, you are 100% correct, instead of your usual 98.6 percent correct.

I learned that the imported milk, dehydrated, was far better than the local milk in Taiwan.

And cheaper.

I once knew the guys that started marketing KLIM, years ago.

They thought that Milk spelled Backwards was the simplest and most meaningful name available.

That guy had been in Asia for a very long time.

As I recall, he also worked at a very successful shoe design and marketing company with a branch in Taipei.

So, I am just saying that you are right.

Regards...

KLIM was produced by Borden back in the day. You know, Elsie the Cow. And Elmer, with his glue, made from casein, another dairy product. But nothing to do with Lizzie Borden, fortunately.

Once upon a time, in an earlier millennium, Borden was my client and I visited a number of their facilities around the world, including a KLIM plant in Denmark. Tall towers with hot, dry air evaporating the milk produced by contented Danish cows. Or maybe it takes wocs to produce KLIM.

But Borden eventually went belly-up and I don't know which company, if any, took over KLIM. Borden was a huge conglomerate with a large chemical division, but also owned Crackerjacks and many other consumer products. Strange that such an iconic company is gone.

13 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

KLIM was produced by Borden back in the day. You know, Elsie the Cow. And Elmer, with his glue, made from casein, another dairy product. But nothing to do with Lizzie Borden, fortunately.

Once upon a time, in an earlier millennium, Borden was my client and I visited a number of their facilities around the world, including a KLIM plant in Denmark. Tall towers with hot, dry air evaporating the milk produced by contented Danish cows. Or maybe it takes wocs to produce KLIM.

But Borden eventually went belly-up and I don't know which company, if any, took over KLIM. Borden was a huge conglomerate with a large chemical division, but also owned Crackerjacks and many other consumer products. Strange that such an iconic company is gone.

So that guy was talking baloney, basically, when he spoke of arriving at the name in Taipei, about 50 years ago...

Should have known.

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So that guy was talking baloney, basically, when he spoke of arriving at the name in Taipei, about 50 years ago...

Should have known.

KLIM dates back to 1920 and was first made by the Merrill-Soule company in Syracuse, NY. Borden bought the company in 1927. 

@worgeordie THANKS so much for recommending 👍

For science, a side by side of my preferred fresh (Dutch Mill & Thai Danish UHT) vs Dairy Rich.  Slight difference between the fresh, and if not side by side, hard to notice.

Dairy Rich wins hands down, taste, texture / creaminess.  Delicious and flash back to fresh milk in USA over 40 yrs ago.  

I did mix the DR with a 165gr / 835gr ratio mix, vs recommended 140gr/860gr mix.  May try the latter, see if that much difference.   Can't see me buying fresh again, unless O&A, along with added plus of being a wee bit cheaper, and delivered to the door.  4 less liters to carry on the scooter when making a quick stop at Makro.

420319465_393928049824066_1652681615182370924_nDN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Update on milk power, as once read you couldn't froth it, for my cappuccino.   The Diary Rich frothed up with no problem, same as regular full cream milk.  Increased about 100% volume