Everything that's wrong with EVs ... an endless list

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You'll have to start putting sarcasm alerts on your posts, your brand is just too subtle for at least two of us.

I thought bring airplanes into an EV discussion was a bit too obvious.   But I'll work one it 👍

1 minute ago, retarius said:

Yes but the amount of oxygen in the air decreases dramatically as you go higher....it is not do with the temperature but the molecular weight of oxygen. Both engines will perform less well on low oxygen tensions, jet engines will perform less poorly....but there is a reason why commercial jets don't fly at 100,000 feet despite the claimed increased efficacy in the charts in Khun LA's post. 

Minor issues such as the pressurized cabin losing a window or two, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't remember where I read it. Something like: The production of EVs is so environmental unfriendly that an EV has to be use for more than 80,000km before its environmental impact becomes positive.

So it seems environmentally they only make sense for people who drive them a lot and for a long time.

It does depend on where the EV are built

carbon footprint even point

Car's produced in Norway the breakpoint is 13,000 KM ( Built mainly using hydro electric )

Cars produced in Poland and China the breakpoint is 126,000 KM ( Built mainly using Brown Coal )

13:30

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, retarius said:

Better but I need to see the denominators for the the previous league table. This tallies with experience, Ford make <deleted>ty vehicles (I still own one I bought for my wife to learn to drive in and it has a recall over the crap gearbox) and Honda don't. But we do have to understand what are minor recalls and what are serious one. I do hate this aggregation of data done by other persons and like to see the actual data myself, before drawing conclusion.....many folk look at the same data and draw different conclusions. 

I guessing they are recalls where the car had to be taken in for an adjustment or replace a part.  Not a simple OTA software update.

Since a 'recall', probably has something to do with safety, as some aspect, if failing, could become an issue in a certain circumstance.   EX: seat belt or airbag failure in a collision, maybe not actually affecting driving, until.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

80,000 kms is a lot now ... 😎

A long time ago in a country far away I used my car for work and I drove maybe 20k km per year.

In Bangkok I have two motorcycles. Together I rode with them about 40k in the last 10 years.

So, if I would now buy an EV, it is unlikely that I would use it for 80k or more within the next 20 years. But obviously the battery and probably other parts would be dead by then.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The top reason people buy EVs is virtue signalling and cognitive dissonence. There are other reasons though - I have a mate back in Oz with a Tesla S and it is awesome.  But he has a lot of money and to him it is like an expensive toy. If I had that sort of money and was in Australia I would buy a Tesla. No way I would or will ever buy a cheap EV car - and in Thailand I would never buy any EV vehicle.  That thing was almost as quick as my S1000RR - around a racetrack it would blow me away (cornering speed).

I know another bloke in Aust that had a Toyota EV and one day it just would not start. He had to get it towed to his house and when the Toyota mechanic arrived days later, he could not figure out the problem. They took it back to the workshop and after a while they ascertained that the rear passenger door sensor was screwed and therefore the car woiuld not start - no lights or warnings - it was hidden deep - and only the high-end Toyota 'reader' device could find it.  He refused to take the car back and demanded a trade-in - he got a great deal on a Toyota hybrid.

Why would I buy a car that has the potential to leave me high and dry - either due to 'software' programming issues, or a lack of charging stations, and in 5-10 years the battery is going to be massively expensive when it fails, and the value of used EVs is awful and getting worse.  IMO they are not that good for the environment - that is a 'belief' being pushed hard by vested interests. 

If/when an EV spontaneously catches fire and people's lives are lost (boat, carpark, building basement, etc), this whole EV fanaticism will fall apart like a deck of cards.  This guy is just one of the many car expert pundits calling out the EV lunacy - watch the whole playlist.

Still pushing that silliness.   This thread was made for you.

Actually impress how reasonable most of the posts have been ...

... until now 😎

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago in a country far away I used my car for work and I drove maybe 20k km per year.

In Bangkok I have two motorcycles. Together I rode with them about 40k in the last 10 years.

So, if I would now buy an EV, it is unlikely that I would use it for 80k or more within the next 20 years. But obviously the battery and probably other parts would be dead by then.

good reason not to buy, and if I lived in Bangkok, that would probably be about 10k less kms a year on our EV also.   Only use for stocking up once a month at Makro & for O&As.   And zero on the MB.   When we visit Krung Thep area, we rarely drive our car.  Public trans is just too convenient.   If close to hotel, less than one kms, (bus if further) we'll just walk, faster & easier usually, since little to no parking.

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Still pushing that silliness.   This thread was made for you.

Actually impress how reasonable most of the posts have been ...

... until now 😎

Made for people to express their views I thought.  But as anticipated the virtue signalling folks with cognitive dissonence will always label anything they disagree with as 'sillyness' (or worse). 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Made for people to express their views I thought.  But as anticipated the virtue signalling folks with cognitive dissonence will always label anything they disagree with as 'sillyness' (or worse). 

I don't know anyone on this forum that has virtue signaled, and been pointed out almost every time you post that silliness.  

Rinse & repeat ... as stated, this thread was originally started for just that, just don't expect replies.

• Agree 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

I don't know anyone on this forum that has virtue signaled, and been pointed out almost every time you post that silliness.  

Rinse & repeat ... as stated, this thread was originally started for just that, just don't expect replies.

I dont post for replies - only the silly virtue signallers do that. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I dont post for replies - only the silly virtue signallers do that. 

IMO I should start a bit of virtue signalling myself.

Sticking with my faithful 2006 Toyota Vios is a lot more virtuous than purchasing a new behemoth of either persuasion, my kerb weight is under 1 tonne.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

An ICE can operate quite happily at -50C. I doubt an EV would have any useful range at that temperature.

Screw the cars, any cars, as I don't operate @ -50C ... and a what if, most of the planet's inhabitants will never experience.

Why I didn't retire in any of these places:

image.png.58e0ddabdea6a51a190aca3e5f6df0e2.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

BYD cars have a heat pump fitted to compensate for this problem and can be used at extreme temperatures -30 to 60 °C.

Thanks for playing. 

Do you own a BYD? Is that what the manual says? Where do you think the heat pump gets its power from, and what do you think that does to range?

Another thermodynamic ignoramus.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Screw the cars, any cars, as I don't operate @ -50C ... and a what if, most of the planet's inhabitants will never experience.

Why I didn't retire in any of these places:

image.png.58e0ddabdea6a51a190aca3e5f6df0e2.png

I missed something, when did I suggest people retire to these places with their EV's?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

good reason not to buy, and if I lived in Bangkok, that would probably be about 10k less kms a year on our EV also.   Only use for stocking up once a month at Makro & for O&As.   And zero on the MB.   When we visit Krung Thep area, we rarely drive our car.  Public trans is just too convenient.   If close to hotel, less than one kms, (bus if further) we'll just walk, faster & easier usually, since little to no parking.

Personally, I think motorcycles are almost always the best in Bangkok. At least if traveling alone for with only one passenger and nothing heavy. Getting through the traffic is most of the time easy and it's faster than any public transport. 

And it helps that I don't have to wear suit and tie in this climate on a bike. ;) 

1eb39b03d3a7a39854773775ee12a83b.jpg

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Rant your little hearts out, as the EV fanboys, we would prefer you stop posting in the 'positive' and 'informational' thread.

Hey now! I ain’t no ev fanboy. And if anyone tries to finagle me into buying one of those heaps, they’ll certainly get a tongue lashing 

• Like 1

It is very simple. 
Anything that is characterized by 24/7 obsessive marketing techniques, sponsored by the dominant culture of cosmopolitan leftist neoliberalism is most likely a deception of the masses.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I think motorcycles are almost always the best in Bangkok. At least if traveling alone for with only one passenger and nothing heavy. Getting through the traffic is most of the time easy and it's faster than any public transport. 

And it helps that I don't have to wear suit and tie in this climate on a bike. ;) 

1eb39b03d3a7a39854773775ee12a83b.jpg

Too many emergency maneuvers when I drove in a small metro (Udon Thani), for me to take on Krung Thep.  Definitely the way to negotiate the congestion though.   Too stressful for me, and disgustingly dirty (dust & diesel exhaust) and need to shower on just a short trip.

Rather the rail lines or AC buses.  Plus get to play photographer and capture city life., from the bus window.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Too many emergency maneuvers when I drove in a small metro (Udon Thani), for me to take on Krung Thep.  Definitely the way to negotiate the congestion though.   Too stressful for me, and disgustingly dirty (dust & diesel exhaust) and need to shower on just a short trip.

Rather the rail lines or AC buses.  Plus get to play photographer and capture city life., from the bus window.

Funny enough, when I arrived in Bangkok, I thought I will never ride in this chaos. And then I rode for two years on motorcycle taxis and got used to it and since about 20 years I ride my own bikes. Basically, no accident until now. 

But I guess one day I will be too old for a bike and have to use a car. Let's see. 

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But I guess one day I will be too old for a bike and have to use a car. Let's see. 

HEY ... what are you implying ... 😂😂😂

Daughter keeps telling me that ... "one day I'll be too old to be scooting around, or even in the car"

"NEVER"  ... kids.   The day I can't mount it, is the day I'll be too old.

6 hours ago, retarius said:

Khun LA, I have a few questions here. Are OTA updates not really over the air, do you have to install the new software or patches manually? You cannot use the car without Google or Apple pay, would the car not run with these updates? Would it really be a road hazard? 

In other messages you have used the terms BEV is this Battery EV as in it uses the battery exclusively? And ICEV....does this mean hybrid? Thanks

Not sure if you’re trolling but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

With OYA updates, in some instances, they install automatically without the need for user intervention. I guess this applies for very small, quick updates like recently with my BYD when the voice command for opening the sunshade didn’t work after a regular service.

For more major updates however, this has to be initiated by the user as the update plus installation takes about 30 mins. The manufacturer suggests a battery charge of no less than 85% and also Wi-Fi connectivity instead of the mobile SIM card that comes with the car. The infotainment screen displays a notification that an update is available, that can be installed at the owners’ convenience.

BEV means a fully electric vehicle. ICEV stands for internal combustion engine vehicle. Hybrids are ICEVs that have a battery (apart from the standard 12 volt battery). There are 2 kinds of hybrids; PHEV (plug in hybrid electric vehicle) or normal HEV (hybrid electric vehicle, sometimes referred to self charging hybrids or mild hybrids). The battery in a HEV is charged by the combustion engine and regenerative braking. You cannot charge it from an electrical output like a wall socket. Battery size is usually 1-2 kWh. PHEVs can also be charged by the same two methods above but can also be charged from an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment I think) ie an electrical outlet or a dedicated wall charger. Different charging speeds naturally.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The top reason people buy EVs is virtue signalling and cognitive dissonence. There are other reasons though - I have a mate back in Oz with a Tesla S and it is awesome.  But he has a lot of money and to him it is like an expensive toy. If I had that sort of money and was in Australia I would buy a Tesla. No way I would or will ever buy a cheap EV car - and in Thailand I would never buy any EV vehicle.  That thing was almost as quick as my S1000RR - around a racetrack it would blow me away (cornering speed).

I know another bloke in Aust that had a Toyota EV and one day it just would not start. He had to get it towed to his house and when the Toyota mechanic arrived days later, he could not figure out the problem. They took it back to the workshop and after a while they ascertained that the rear passenger door sensor was screwed and therefore the car woiuld not start - no lights or warnings - it was hidden deep - and only the high-end Toyota 'reader' device could find it.  He refused to take the car back and demanded a trade-in - he got a great deal on a Toyota hybrid.

Why would I buy a car that has the potential to leave me high and dry - either due to 'software' programming issues, or a lack of charging stations, and in 5-10 years the battery is going to be massively expensive when it fails, and the value of used EVs is awful and getting worse.  IMO they are not that good for the environment - that is a 'belief' being pushed hard by vested interests. 

If/when an EV spontaneously catches fire and people's lives are lost (boat, carpark, building basement, etc), this whole EV fanaticism will fall apart like a deck of cards.  This guy is just one of the many car expert pundits calling out the EV lunacy - watch the whole playlist.

I said it before but I’ll say it again. It’s only the anti-EVers who thinks EV owners are virtue signaling. They have really bought into the propaganda.

Anyhow, you’re extremely late to the party with your claims and links. Lack of charging stations. Not an issue with most EV owners as charging mostly done at home. Battery lasting only 5-10 years. Where did you get that little nugget from? Not good for the environment. Have you parked your nose next to a diesel pickup recently? If not, I’ll be happy to oblige with my diesel work truck. Software programming issues. I guess you don’t realise that most modern vehicles, EV and ICEV have lots of software so this is a software issue, not EV issue.

As for your Sydney fire, you do realise that the battery had been taken out of the car in question and left exposed to the elements? Anything flammable can be a hazard if not properly handled.

And finally, your friends’ Toyota EV. The only Toyota EV that I know of is the Bz4x (correct me if I’m wrong). This is the one that was recalled as there was a risk of the wheels falling off. The problem your friend had is not a related EV issue but a poorly designed Toyota issue.

No one is telling you to buy an EV. Those of us who own one would probably never buy an ICEV anymore. Just saying.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1