Death of my wife in Thailand

Rincon

14 hours ago, uttradit said:

Gender/identity is important if funerals are being done. Need the right person. Last week I read about the wrong body being taken to a funeral.

Do you you know what else is important during a funeral or when dealing with the bereaved? 

not being an asshat

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't do what some people did in Bkk 20 odd years ago. An American called Robert was cremated and his mates decided to take the urn with them on a night out around the bars where he used to go. in a Nana Plaza bar the girls asked what it was- ensuing screams followed by being chucked out.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear of your loss. When my mother died in hospital in the year 2000, the hospital issued a death certificate and we transported her to the local Wat. Where she was cremated a few days later. My Thai wife handled all the goings on but as far as I remember we did not inform the Embassy. Half of her ashes were scattered in Sattahip Bay, where I will join her eventually. The remainder were taken in a small urn back to England to be scattered where her husband was cremated. My friend took the small Urn in her hand luggage with no problems. Of course this was before terrorist scares. I have read fairly recently of ashes being taken back to home countries with no problems. I would put your friends ashes in an urn and put it in your stowed luggage.  

Sorry for your loss. A few years ago I brought my father back from Spain (his body) and the airline put him on the manifest. Similarly ashes from UK have to be put on the planes manifest. My guess is that it will be a requirement with any airline and suggest you contact the airline before booking a ticket to check if there are any restrictions and where the ashes are carried ie they may have to go with cargo sadly

55 minutes ago, proton said:

Don't do what some people did in Bkk 20 odd years ago. An American called Robert was cremated and his mates decided to take the urn with them on a night out around the bars where he used to go. in a Nana Plaza bar the girls asked what it was- ensuing screams followed by being chucked out.

Not sure your sad attempt of humour is any help to the OP, who must be suffering.

• Sad 2

On 1/26/2024 at 9:23 AM, Rincon said:

I have never written on the Forum, but I have always read it over the years. The advices I read, helped me in the past to resolve some dynamics especially related to immigration. This is why I want to share this sad moment with you and also ask for some advices. Days ago, unfortunately, my wife suffered a heart attack and passed away. In the past days I contacted his family in Spain to inform them of what happened and they told me to take care of his transport to Spain, since they want to have her remains there. What I would like to ask is the following:
1) I know it might seem material, but I am forced to sell the apartment I bought years ago to cover the expenses I will have to bear. No one knows a real estate agency that can help me with a short-term sales process?
2) We have decided with his family to transport only the ashes and I will deliver the urn with the ashes to the family. How should I proceed to "burn" her? Should I contact the Embassy to transport the urn?
3) How to deal with the airline? Do I need to be advise the airline of what I'm transporting? I will be using Qatar Airways.
Thanks if anyone could help me.

If you are forced to sell the apartment and she had a will, then it might not be bad.  I would seek legal advice so you will have full access to the funds. 

I might be Naive but I would think that the Spanish embassy should be able to give you directions on what to do and the procedures or at least provide guidance as to what is required.

this is for the UK but probably is not far off what you will need

https://www.urnsforashes.co.uk/transporting-ashes/taking-ashes-abroad/

I would contact Qatar office here in Bangkok personally if you can so that you are sure of the info the contact info is

https://www.airlineshq.com/ticket_offices/qatar_airways/bangkok.htm

AS WITH EVERYONE ELSE, I WANT TO WISH MY CONDOLENCES ON YOUR LOSS.

Edited by kingstonkid

On 1/26/2024 at 10:35 AM, dick turpin said:

There is always red tape involved. The police will have to be 

informed who will immediately close all your bank accounts.

Then as a foreigner your embassy will need to be informed

with a duly completed form. This will then allow for your

mortal self to be released for a half day out at your

local temple. 

Not so sure about police immediately closing all your bank accounts.

I've heard many times of the surviving spouse, where the bank accounts are joint savings account, set up so that only one signature is required for withdrawals*:

- Continuing to use the account and making withdrawals as needed.

- Slowly removing all the funds (one signature or ATM withdrawals) until the funds have all been removed, and placed into new account(s) in the spouse name.

* Years ago I asked K Bank call centre and UOB call centre about this  (where the bank accounts are joint savings account, set up so that only one signature is required for withdrawals).  *The answer was from both banks 'one of the two possible signatories is still alive and competent so that person can continue to make transactions'

52 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've heard many times of the surviving spouse, where the bank accounts are joint savings account, set up so that only one signature is required for withdrawals*:

- Slowly removing all the funds (one signature or ATM withdrawals) until the funds have all been removed, and placed into new account(s) in the spouse name.

* Years ago I asked K Bank call centre and UOB call centre about this  (where the bank accounts are joint savings account, set up so that only one signature is required for withdrawals).  *The answer was from both banks 'one of the two possible signatories is still alive and competent so that person can continue to make transactions'

and further... heard many times of bank managers telling the husband / the couple "don't worry I will ensure the surviving party gets access" (with or without death certificate). 

Further, it's been mentioned several times before that banking regulations (each Thai bank's regulations) place no emphasis whatever on death certificates, not mentioned in banks regulations. 

On 1/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, uttradit said:

Gender/identity is important if funerals are being done. Need the right person. Last week I read about the wrong body being taken to a funeral.

Why is there always one nit picker?
We all knew what he was talking about even in this sad time for him.

As for the use of him,he,she and her try telling Google translate it can never get it in the right context and if this poster has used this app I can well understand why his use of words were incorrect.

• Sad 1

I am very sorry for your loss.

There is one item everyone seems to have overlooked and that is very important.

the marriage itself.

to your marriage also applies the international laws. and one of them is about the choice of rights that apply to the mariage.

When you stay longer the 10 years in a country the automatically by law the laws of that country also apply to the mariage if the couple did not register legally the choice of rights they want to apply to the marriage.

for example, you are married in Germany move for 3 year to France then move for 11 years to the UK and then after theh UK move back to Germany and for some reason the marriage ends.

everyone thinks the German law applies. But this is not the fact. Due to the stay longer the 10 years in the UK the UK law automatically did apply to the mariage.

To prevent this unexpected change of law that applies on must take action and that is to register the choice of law as soon as possible but before the day one stays 10 years in the country. 

This also solves your problem about how to handle and when to do and expect about the house and other things as well.

The ambassy can help you out.

which you aal the strength needed in these strange times you are in now.

I want to continue sharing this moment with you because, as I wrote previously, you are a truly useful source of information. I want to thank everyone who suggested a company that could follow my path until the ashes were repatriated and I must thank Mr. Cody Hambly, Senior Case Manager, for his help. I don't know if I can put the name of the company, so I won't do it for the moment.
I also contacted the Embassy, but luckily Mr. Hambly has someone who can help me with this too.
The bank account is not a problem, as my wife received her money in a Spanish account and did not have any here in Thailand. I just don't understand, but maybe I'm wrong, why the tourist police were called to the morgue and not the "normal" one. But it doesn't matter.
I am now in Bangkok waiting for the necessary documents to be translated, having married abroad.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Indeed, was referring to sole bank accounts, which most expats have 

to hold funds for visa extensions.