Building a huge mansion in Isaan. What can go wrong?

I’ve long tried to get my ex to build a brick mansion in her hometown, I think it would be hilarious, but she is not convinced.

Though if you are serious, consider what you actually need. For most people, a mansion is impractical, but you can still do cool stuff, I am personally into spa-style ensuite/open bathrooms connected with the master bedroom, think about your “flow” in the house and optimize the layout for that, do specialized built-in furniture for the things you need, e.g. you probably have bottled water that needs to be stored somewhere, etc.

But also remember that construction quality here is poor, so anything out of the ordinary, and your workers may do a crappy job unless you get top talent.

Though it is unclear if your goal is to build your dream house, or your idea of a rich man’s dream house.

Edited by lkn
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2024 at 8:16 PM, lost in isaan said:

4. Her family - their expectations of support from the 'rich falang' will rise in proportion to the house size.  And if you don't deliver, their bitter resentment will rise on a  logarithmic scale.

It is not just the family - - 

A Thai lady cannot be happy drinking out of fine crystal if her mother is drinking from a coconut shell. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

You will never get rid of that mind-set that is in Thai culture, "she's not good enough". Thailand has a very strong class system where everyone bows down to someone who is more important than them, be it a teacher or police or MP. That is the structure of the system here. Just an ordinary house will be enough to elevate her in the eyes of the local people, and will give her security for the futuure and peace of mind to not worry about money.

• Like 2

My gf also comes from a poor family. She lives with me in Bangkok.

When she visits the family maybe once a month for a few days she buys some food for them and a couple of beers, and that's it.

Maybe a new rice cooker for her father if necessary.

But she doesn't see the need to spend a lot of money in the village. Because she knows it won't change anything.

So, what's the point of spending the money?

It's like poor people winning the lottery. Many waste the money and then they are poor again. 

• Agree 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:41 AM, roo860 said:

." One of her elder brothers turned up at the almost completed house (5 bed, 4.5 bath) ".

So the 5th bedroom only had .5 of a bathroom?🙂

If you say so.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf also comes from a poor family. She lives with me in Bangkok.

When she visits the family maybe once a month for a few days she buys some food for them and a couple of beers, and that's it.

Maybe a new rice cooker for her father if necessary.

But she doesn't see the need to spend a lot of money in the village. Because she knows it won't change anything.

So, what's the point of spending the money?

It's like poor people winning the lottery. Many waste the money and then they are poor again. 

And much of it goes to demanding / very demanding siblings.

• Confused 1

Your wife has more sense than you.

Were you also thinking of forcing her to have singing lessons, and then building her an opera house all of her own?

Citizen-Kane-Welles-Podium.jpg.04b2933b676b63f12947f30833ebd32e.jpg

........."Rosebud"

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:38 PM, lost in isaan said:

Good points to consider, thanks.
As far as i know, the only nasty thing happening is some locals calling her playfully ma dam (black dog) sounds a bit different than madam. Yeah, there has been requests for handouts, but she keeps telling people that i control all the money and she has none. So far, they have left it at that.
Her family is surprisingly nice. I have read many horror stories about families, but hers has never asked any money or caused problems.

I still have a long time before the build starts. The land I plan to build on is split between family members and we're in process of acquiring it. I also want to raise the ground atleast 2 meters and let it set around a year after the heavy machinery does its work on it.
The main reason i made this post is to get other points of view, not to bs or flaunt like some of the members are thinking. On the last house build i got many good advices that helped me to avoid quite a few mistakes. Many valid adviced so far in here too. I'm also travelling around thailand constantly, so maybe i'll find a better place i'd like to build a house onto. Nothing is set on stone yet 🙂

I would suggest never lend or give money to anyone, as soon as you do the requests will increase. Better to say no and be called tight than to give money and when you want to stop giving the abuse is greater.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:50 PM, lost in isaan said:

Hello dear members,
I would be happy to get some ideas and inputs from old-timers in Thailand :)

A bit about my situation:
I moved to Isaan around a year and a half ago and built a cheap house to see if I want to settle down here and experience life firsthand. The house was a valuable learning experience, allowing me to observe its construction from scratch. Overall, I have enjoyed my time here and am now planning the next steps, which involves building a "proper" house.

Initially, I planned to build a decent-sized ~600-800 sqm house, but lately, I have been considering something bigger.

My wife comes from a very poor farming family and she has created a mental barrier for herself convincing that she's not "good enough" to have something luxurious. Last time we went to iconsiam, i had to convince her to go there with me, because she thought it's not for people of her "status". She has done well in life, relying on no one, got educated enough with free goverment education. Got a decent job and attended university while working. When i met her in bangkok, she had a "good" office job by thai standards, but in my view she was basically a slave working 12h per day, 6 days a week, living in a small one-room <deleted>hole with a pay that is laughable by western standards.

My wife already considers me rich for being able to live without working and for being able to build a 1-million baht house. I've been living quite humbly and only hinted her that i had some extra money, but she has no idea how much.

Life in isaan can be boring sometimes, so why not have some fun? I have some "<deleted> you" money and slowly planning to build a huge mansion in middle of rice fields. I already know that i have 0 need for house that big, it's mainly to heal my wives mindset of her inferiority complex planted by thai society. Your wealth and power should not limit and define you as a person. I know there's better ways to do it, but why not? I'm also not investing on someting i can't afford to lose.
My question is regarding the downsides of owning a big mansion in middle of nowhere. Is it worth the effort?
Here's some i thought so far:
- I have to hire staff to keep it clean.
- More people will annoy us when wealth is obvious. It's been quiet so far. Only had some people asking for money when we first moved to the village.  (I like to keep to myself mostly)
- Visible jealousy

- Unwanted attention. Potential thieves and people with bad intentions.

- I have seen how power and money can change character. Might happen to my wife.

Picture of the house i currently plan to build

image.thumb.png.badc2b996fb2a3f16e5c1c05f407a77f.png

The electric bill :shock1:

On 1/29/2024 at 10:25 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's an Americanism. Half a bathroom has a toilet and a washbasin and I assume isn't in a bedroom. I'm not sure if it has a shower, but I don't think so.

Americanism. They have same concept in many European countries and more.

• Confused 1

Please excuse any ignorance on my part, but under Thai laws regarding freehold property, surely such a large mansion would never be 100% yours unlessyou set up a company?

wikipedia:

Thai freehold ownership gives you indefinite ownership of a property. The two types of freehold ownership include freehold in a condo unit and freehold through a Thai company acquisition. Thai Freehold – As a foreign national, you can own properties indirectly by using a Thai Limited Company.

A 1/2 bath is generally near the main gathering part of the house.  Used by guests and occupants for the toilet and washing hands.    Usually has no personal items like toothbrushes or such.   Quite useful.   Sometimes located embarrassing close to the public area.   Best located behind a closet or around the corner so every sound isnt heard at the dining table. 

IMHO the technical aspects of a home would be more important than the pompous looks frim the street.  

Security

Termite proof and prevention

Thermal insulation and natural ventilation

Low VOC materials

Well thought our living floor plan

Good kitchen ventilation

Design compatibility with workmanship available. 

Proper drainage and compaction of build site.  

In fact i think just dumping 2 meters of dirt on top of whats there to let settle naturally van be a poor idea.   Get existing soil structure tested for 20 meters depth.   Remove peoblem soil and replace with properly compacted soils. 

Solar system

Water collection

Water filtration and pressure system.  Possibly RO system.   

Proper, safe electrical system.  

Tile layed the correct way, on decent subatrates,  by western standards not the Asian way. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are posters taking the OP seriously or just playing along?

There's no shortage of the delusional on AsinineNow, so probably 50/50

I was kind  of  in this position 12  years  ago, i had a  really  nice  house i wanted to build (I didnt do it), I gave  up, after  seeing how the Thais  work in genera, instead l  built  physically myself my  own houses, laying each  block myself and doing everything by myself and a much simpler design not the photo. It  will be an endless  headache.......ps  its  almost imossible to find  decent staff  as  well, 99% are useless and lazy. Over 12  years Ive had 2 good  staff, doesnt  matter what you pay them they leave at the drop of a  hat and dont think Burmese  will do much of that type of work now for you either, they want factory jobs with overtime. They too are moving  away from this type of work. You'll be forever  having problems with faults  leaking pipes and dont forget the useless" 1  year" guarantee if they dont do a  runner halfway through. Put it  this way..............do you have a full head of hair currently?

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1