Building a huge mansion in Isaan. What can go wrong?

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Here's a photo of us abuilding in Dec 2016, 3 months before moving in. And a couple in mid-2022.

And yes we made every mistake known to man. Went thru 3 sets of local/family 'builders' of varying levels of incompetence & thievery. Only when my boy took over the daily management & supervision did things improve. Took 15 months all up and the end result isn't bad, with some rough bits and some areas for improvement when we can afford it. But overall solid (built on stilts down to the bedrock below the usual hundreds of truckloads of 'soil'). Comfortable inside, plenty of room for all my books, large rooms, high ceilingsP1070801.thumb.jpeg.04d35808a99614c878c3eaae1c4f5a32.jpeg. We used an architect design which I modified to reduce the number of bedrooms and build the main library u/s.

An interesting experience. If I were doing it again (God forbid) I would employ falang builders.

P1130217.jpeg

P1130214.jpeg

Cheers :) Glad it worked out at the end, looks nice.

It seems the OP already knows how it is likely to go. Not Isaan but southern Thailand, a farang built a huge house in the village. Totally out of place with tennis court etc. Much discussion and gossip amongst the villagers. Eventually he divorced his missus and the house was up for sale at 10 Million Baht (over 20yrs ago). After a few years of it becoming derelict, a local bought it for a bargain price.

Forget about healing your wife's mind as there is a high chance of failing in this. 

Sorry to say, with 11Mio. Bath on hand, you only can build a very small fraction of this dream castle... ....stop dreaming...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh....

Another fake account posting nonsense.

Are there any real people left posting on this forum?

A real person would never post that.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Don't ignore your wife's concerns. There's a good chance locals at the market will say nasty things to her, and possibly put pressure on her to give them handouts.

Plus, in your 'journey' so far have you have requests / demands from her siblings for handouts?

Keep in mind that the 'mansion' you propose strongly reinforces the belief that all farang are extremely rich with no limits. The pressure they might put on your wife could be quite intimidating for her. And quite possible she won't tell you about this for fear you will get nasty.

Good points to consider, thanks.
As far as i know, the only nasty thing happening is some locals calling her playfully ma dam (black dog) sounds a bit different than madam. Yeah, there has been requests for handouts, but she keeps telling people that i control all the money and she has none. So far, they have left it at that.
Her family is surprisingly nice. I have read many horror stories about families, but hers has never asked any money or caused problems.

I still have a long time before the build starts. The land I plan to build on is split between family members and we're in process of acquiring it. I also want to raise the ground atleast 2 meters and let it set around a year after the heavy machinery does its work on it.
The main reason i made this post is to get other points of view, not to bs or flaunt like some of the members are thinking. On the last house build i got many good advices that helped me to avoid quite a few mistakes. Many valid adviced so far in here too. I'm also travelling around thailand constantly, so maybe i'll find a better place i'd like to build a house onto. Nothing is set on stone yet :)

Edited by lost in isaan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Here's a photo of us abuilding in Dec 2016, 3 months before moving in. And a couple in mid-2022.

And yes we made every mistake known to man. Went thru 3 sets of local/family 'builders' of varying levels of incompetence & thievery. Only when my boy took over the daily management & supervision did things improve. Took 15 months all up and the end result isn't bad, with some rough bits and some areas for improvement when we can afford it. But overall solid (built on stilts down to the bedrock below the usual hundreds of truckloads of 'soil'). Comfortable inside, plenty of room for all my books, large rooms, high ceilingsP1070801.thumb.jpeg.04d35808a99614c878c3eaae1c4f5a32.jpeg. We used an architect design which I modified to reduce the number of bedrooms and build the main library u/s.

An interesting experience. If I were doing it again (God forbid) I would employ falang builders.

P1130217.jpeg

P1130214.jpeg

Nice! 

Ah yes, the project management.  I forgot to mention that in my post. 

I was working out of Thailand during most the build phase (to pay for it 😀) - so the Missus had to spend 2 years sitting on a deckchair in the middle of a building site, micro managing the builders, architect, plumbers, electricians, painters, joiners, window contractors, vintage hardwood restorers, anti-termite pipe installers, AC engineers, WFI/CCTV installers, tilers, well pump contractor, painters and gardener.  She also had to manage the site project manager.

The workers (men and women) were from Myanmar and lived in huts on site, and one had a baby so my wife was also a part time childminder.

After several mid-build redesigns, endless arguments, changes to sub contractors and disputes with suppliers - she delivered a perfect house with a unique style ..... and was left totally exhausted.

The physical and mental effort required to ensure everyone does a good job is astronomical .... I was lucky that I only needed to generate the cash.

So in answer to the original question .... the bigger the house, the bigger the challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

How many Rai of land have you bought your wife for this project, was it  expensive ?  Have you seen the papers/ deeds.  I strongly suggest you seek some advice, perhaps employ an experience project manager,      It is a role to which I would be perfectly suited    I would be prepared to assist for a modest retainer of 400,000 per month, cash ,  paid in advance. 

Out of interest, how large is your wifes extended family

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

How many Rai of land have you bought your wife for this project, was it  expensive ?  Have you seen the papers/ deeds.  I strongly suggest you seek some advice, perhaps employ an experience project manager,      It is a role to which I would be perfectly suited    I would be prepared to assist for a modest retainer of 400,000 per month, cash ,  paid in advance. 

Out of interest, how large is your wifes extended family

"Out of interest, how large is your wifes extended family".

Good question. And where is your wife in the birth order? Is she the eldest, the youngest etc.

Why? My Thai daughter is law (DIL) has two elder sisters and two elder brothers. My DIL is reminded often by all of them that she must respect/follow whatever she is instructed to do by elder siblings. 

E.g. One of her elder brothers turned up at the almost completed house (5 bed, 4.5 bath) my son and his wife (my DIL) were building in Chiang Mai.

DILs elder brother started to try to tell my son:

- Who should sleep in each of the bedrooms.

- That two of the bathrooms should be changed into Buddha rooms.

- That the fairly big space assigned to be the indoors western style kitchen was a waste of space and should be changed to a bedroom.

In fact elder brother give instructions on these changes to the building supervisor.

My son quickly also spoke to the development company and made it plain that their contracted builder should never take any instruction from any other party even if it was another family member.

Son called a family meeting requesting his wifes two elder sisters and two elder brothers attend. Son raised hell and warned them all off and indicating he would call the police (son realised of course that the police would be less than interested unless there was a substantial payment, this never happened).

The two elder sisters and two elder brothers were insulted, son ignored their attitude and told them they were not allowed to visit the build site.

Still today one loud older sister does visit but calls in advance and tries to tell her younger sister (my son's wife) and my son how to bring up their children. She is totally ignored. 

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Keep in mind that the 'mansion' you propose strongly reinforces the belief that all farang are extremely rich with no limits. The pressure they might put on your wife could be quite intimidating for her.

Where do you get that from? 

And this was covered by OP:  "I have some "<deleted> you" money and slowly planning to build a huge mansion in middle of rice fields. "

Edited by Ben Zioner

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

To pompous.   You wull regret this monstrosity.  Your reason for building this is absurd. 

You reckon Mumtaz Mahal regretted getting the Taj Mahal built?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Out of interest, how large is your wifes extended family".

Good question. And where is your wife in the birth order? Is she the eldest, the youngest etc.

Why? My Thai daughter is law (DIL) has two elder sisters and two elder brothers. My DIL is reminded often by all of them that she must respect/follow whatever she is instructed to do by elder siblings. 

E.g. One of her elder brothers turned up at the almost completed house (5 bed, 4.5 bath) my son and his wife (my DIL) were building in Chiang Mai.

DILs elder brother started to try to tell my son:

- Who should sleep in each of the bedrooms.

- That two of the bathrooms should be changed into Buddha rooms.

- That the fairly big space assigned to be the indoors western style kitchen was a waste of space and should be changed to a bedroom.

In fact elder brother give instructions on these changes to the building supervisor.

My son quickly also spoke to the development company and made it plain that their contracted builder should never take any instruction from any other party even if it was another family member.

Son called a family meeting requesting his wifes two elder sisters and two elder brothers attend. Son raised hell and warned them all off and indicating he would call the police (son realised of course that the police would be less than interested unless there was a substantial payment, this never happened).

The two elder sisters and two elder brothers were insulted, son ignored their attitude and told them they were not allowed to visit the build site.

Still today one loud older sister does visit but calls in advance and tries to tell her younger sister (my son's wife) and my son how to bring up their children. She is totally ignored. 

." One of her elder brothers turned up at the almost completed house (5 bed, 4.5 bath) ".

So the 5th bedroom only had .5 of a bathroom?🙂

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

." One of her elder brothers turned up at the almost completed house (5 bed, 4.5 bath) ".

0.5 means no shower. Small room with toilet and basin.

• Haha 1

This is exactly why most locals think all farangs are rich. Fact is, most farangs are alike. They get by monthly and have to pay bills which eat much of their pay, even while retired. Building houses, meaning huge out of proportion to the local area, makes the locals jealous, and isn't a good thing for relations between. Gossip here is as huge as anywhere on earth, and much gossip is derived from jealousy. If the locals knew the truth about most farangs, they wouldn't be talking negatively about us and realize we are a lot like them. Some more money and things, but the need to pay more for them, so our higher pay balances out the same. Many Americans, and this does mean many, live paycheck to paycheck, and have huge credit card bills monthly, or they wouldn't have what they have in possession. many lose their homes and autos daily. This isn't news to the locals here, as I hear myself from my girlfriend, who's pretty smart on things farang and knows how much many of us make. It isn't what a lot of her friends think, as some of them get cash monthly from farangs overseas, and they brag about getting this free money, many times with no intentions of ever meeting the men who send it. The ones who don't have contact directly with an idiot sending money think we all have a lot of money to throw around. People building huge houses where the rest of the area has old, mainly wooden structures which leak air, have bugs and vermin running around, no AC and where most of them sleep on the floor on mattresses, aren't helping with the thinking of these locals but furthering their attitudes that we're all wealthy. This leads to jealousy between friends here, when some have farang mates who give them everything, the rest just get by on 300 baht a day, and the gossip never ends. It's always better to fit in . having a nice house is fine, with AC, so you live the life you used to back home, wherever that was, but being extravagant just to show off isn't a good thing. A lot of farangs had jobs that ruined the environment, hurt others, developed areas that didn't need development, or moved money around just to benefit the rich. The rest of us worked many years to get to where we could retire, in jobs that helped out the world and it's people. People here brag daily on what they have. Many are liars, and some are these types, who didn't do much with their time besides hurt our world. Again, better to fit in than stand out. Jealousy comes easy for the majority of the world's population, who either just get by, or struggle to make ends meet.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, lost in isaan said:

Hello dear members,
I would be happy to get some ideas and inputs from old-timers in Thailand :)

A bit about my situation:
I moved to Isaan around a year and a half ago and built a cheap house to see if I want to settle down here and experience life firsthand. The house was a valuable learning experience, allowing me to observe its construction from scratch. Overall, I have enjoyed my time here and am now planning the next steps, which involves building a "proper" house.

Initially, I planned to build a decent-sized ~600-800 sqm house, but lately, I have been considering something bigger.

My wife comes from a very poor farming family and she has created a mental barrier for herself convincing that she's not "good enough" to have something luxurious. Last time we went to iconsiam, i had to convince her to go there with me, because she thought it's not for people of her "status". She has done well in life, relying on no one, got educated enough with free goverment education. Got a decent job and attended university while working. When i met her in bangkok, she had a "good" office job by thai standards, but in my view she was basically a slave working 12h per day, 6 days a week, living in a small one-room <deleted>hole with a pay that is laughable by western standards.

My wife already considers me rich for being able to live without working and for being able to build a 1-million baht house. I've been living quite humbly and only hinted her that i had some extra money, but she has no idea how much.

Life in isaan can be boring sometimes, so why not have some fun? I have some "<deleted> you" money and slowly planning to build a huge mansion in middle of rice fields. I already know that i have 0 need for house that big, it's mainly to heal my wives mindset of her inferiority complex planted by thai society. Your wealth and power should not limit and define you as a person. I know there's better ways to do it, but why not? I'm also not investing on someting i can't afford to lose.
My question is regarding the downsides of owning a big mansion in middle of nowhere. Is it worth the effort?
Here's some i thought so far:
- I have to hire staff to keep it clean.
- More people will annoy us when wealth is obvious. It's been quiet so far. Only had some people asking for money when we first moved to the village.  (I like to keep to myself mostly)
- Visible jealousy

- Unwanted attention. Potential thieves and people with bad intentions.

- I have seen how power and money can change character. Might happen to my wife.

Picture of the house i currently plan to build

image.thumb.png.badc2b996fb2a3f16e5c1c05f407a77f.png

I think you're looking for attention building a house like that photo. Do what you want is your money, but I'm pretty sure changing someone's financial thermostat in Thailand is probably not a fantastic idea. Knowing you can Provide for your families needs is in my opinion a better use of resources because you can live humble and still do everything you might want to do. If you want to spoil her, take her somewhere awesome and stay in and stay in a 5 star resorts. Again you'll do what you want but I know what I would do if I had that kind of bread. Be well.

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

It's an Americanism. Half a bathroom has a toilet and a washbasin and I assume isn't in a bedroom. I'm not sure if it has a shower, but I don't think so.

Do you have a large family? 

When i was planning my new home a few years ago, i was discussing it with my wife. 

The kids have grown up and started thier own lifes journey. 

When we were discussing the size and amount of bedrooms

She said to me, " small birds dont build large nests." 

• Agree 1