Ukraine Uncovers Major Arms Corruption Scandal Worth $40 Million

image.png

Ukraine's security service, the SBU, has revealed a significant corruption scandal related to a military arms purchase amounting to approximately $40 million (£31 million). The investigation has implicated five senior figures within the defence ministry and an arms supplier. The corrupt deal involved the signing of a contract for 100,000 mortar shells in August 2022, with an upfront payment made. However, the purchased arms were never delivered, and some funds were transferred abroad.

The SBU disclosed that officials from the Ministry of Defence and managers of the arms supplier, Lviv Arsenal, are under investigation for embezzling nearly 1.5 billion hryvnias in the fraudulent arms purchase. Notably, despite the contract being finalized six months after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine, not a single artillery shell was provided.

One suspect has been apprehended while attempting to leave Ukraine and is currently in custody. The SBU assured that the stolen funds have been seized and will be returned to the defence budget. Corruption has long been a challenge for Ukraine, impacting its efforts to join the European Union.

President Volodymyr Zelensky, who took office in 2019, identified the fight against corruption as a top priority. Despite the ongoing struggle, Ukraine has made progress in anti-corruption efforts, with the latest allegations exposing the depth of challenges within the military procurement system.

These revelations come at a critical time as the United States faces debates over President Joe Biden's push to send more aid to Ukraine. In August, President Zelensky initiated reforms by dismissing all officials responsible for military recruitment to address issues related to conscription evasion. While Ukraine ranks 116th out of 180 countries in Transparency International's 2022 corruption perceptions index, the country has steadily climbed the rankings over the past decade, indicating positive developments in anti-corruption initiatives.

Source

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Corruption in Ukraine! OMG,

Up till the Russian "special military operation"   the "western" media carried many articles about Ukraine being the most corrupt country in Europe  but now "we"  (the west)  must send them billions of Dollars,Euros and Pounds of aid and weapons with no end date... until Russia is "defeated"  

or until the last Ukrainian or until the last NATO soldier or until Mutually Assured Destruction ?

Remember War is Peace.

• Confused 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rabas said:

They are fighting Russia, the most corrupt country on Earth.

LOL. You should have fact checked that before posting erroneous "facts"

It's nowhere near the most corrupt country.

Somalia has that dubious honour at 180, while Russia is at 141. Strangely Ukraine isn't even on the list. Perhaps it is too corrupt to figure.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/corruption-rank

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, rabas said:

I'm discussing mass scale, how much, and depravity of Putin's Russia, not per capita public sector perception index. Tiny Somalia's GDP is one four thousandths the size of Russia's. But thank you for the pro Putin soundbite. 

Just one example, Putin is famed for widespread assassination home and abroad using the world's most toxic nerve agents, radioactive Polonium, other poisons, throwing competition and reporters alike out of windows, shooting them on the street, or just blowing them out of the sky with passengers and crew. [2]

To the point, Russia's great military is so corrupt that their 3 day operation will soon enter its third year. Compare this to Zelinsky's multiple cases of cleaning up small scale corruption in the Ukraine military. 

Slava Ukraini and go freedom.  

I'll get back to you after Zelensky is forced to negotiate, which IMO won't be too much longer. Without US money they are doomed, and it's looking ever more hopeful that the GOP is going to stop throwing good money after bad.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I think we can safely say if Zelenkiy effectively had to sack his long standing Defence Secretary over corruption allegations then there is a fair amount of endemic corruption in the system. When I worked in IT testing software finding and fixing bugs didn't mean that the software was getting better quite the contrary it led to the belief that there were further bugs lurking unseen to risk the integrity of the system. These upsets like the current Zelenkiy/Zalunhyi spat are papered over and quickly hidden from the western media less the great unwashed get hints that their billions of dollars of aid isn't being wisely spent. Effectively these guys nicked our money and committed treason in their own but there is very little accountability as far as I can discern.

https://www.politico.eu/article/defense-minister-reznikov-ukraine-corruption-probe-war-russia-zelenskyy/

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 7
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Russia will collapse first.

He won't do that. What I see happening is a tacit ceasefire sometime this year when Ukraine realises it has no more men,ammo or equipment to fight the war of attrition. They along with the Russians continue to develop massive defensive fortifications over the stalemate frontline and a defacto armistice happens. Ukraine will quietly forget about getting back these regions and Crimea indeed it will probably be glad to ditch its Russophile regions. The Kremlin will also be happy to take what they now have as a win. If that peace holds for sufficient time then investment may come back into Ukraine from western powers and they could get some sort of NATO/EU lite. There will be no official peace agreement in the short to medium term and Zelenskiy will retire to allow to take on the mantle of leadership.

• Confused 5

37 minutes ago, rabas said:

Defending the West that guarantees your right to criticize it endlessly is more than worth the money and effort. Putin jails people for less, a least when the windows are closed. You have never been in Russia and seen authorities grab innocent people off the street for no reason. I have. You don't know Russians who have suffered. I do.

The good news is the rest of the world will do the heavy lifting for you.  

I assume you live in Thailand and enjoy the fruits of a fairly repressive authoritarian regime. There's a chap in Chiang Rai doing 50 years for a few posts. I know Thais that have suffered and are refugees from this land. The good news us I will have to pay in taxes for the outcomes you're willing on that and enforced Ukrainian conscripts being pushed into an endless war 

• Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

You can apply for a Russian citizenship and pay your taxes to Putin.

To twist a quote no representation without taxation otherwise words are cheap or indeed free. A recent opinion poll in the UK found only 17% of 18 to 24 year old would favour conscription. There is hope.

• Confused 4

My dad fought I'm ww2 and is sadly no longer with us. He was eternally grateful for the contribution that the Soviets made in winning the war and despaired at the reunification of Germany. I suspect he would strongly in favour of a messy peace rather than an endless war and he would be right.He would also have seen Ukraine as an unfortunate victim of being a relic of the Soviet empire and a neighbour to boot who should find their peace with their paranoid neighbour after all the allies did indeed gift Eastern Europe to Stalin at the end of war. Realpolitik and all that.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 8

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

There's this thing in them Western countries called elections. It's a system which allows people to change the government, if enough of them oppose its policies.

Yes something which you for whatever reasons have checked out of. I will live and die in Europe and call me selfish if you want but I would wish to see out my final days in peace on the continent untroubled by distant squabbles at the fringes. Its what my dad fought for peace. My grandad who I never knew was gassed at the Somme and had problems all his life dying in 1961. He apparently never mentioned the war, never wore a poppy or went to Armistice commerations and had the ignominy in the 1930s of having the national assistance board rifling through their bare house looking for things to sell before he could get a meagre stipend. A country fit for heroes my backside.

• Confused 6

On 2/3/2024 at 6:01 PM, billd766 said:

I don't know what I am smoking either as I quit smoking anything in in 1970 for the 5th time.

Also the only drugs I take are medicinal and prescribed by the hospital.

I am still trying to find a doctor who will prescribe me some CBD oil for my conarthritis of my left knee. At the moment I am taking Tramadol 50 mg and paracetamol. I don't get a high on it.

I really don't know if you are being serious, or not. Never mind, carry on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1