French tourist drowns on Similan Islands in snorkelling accident

image.jpeg

A 66 year old French tourist drowned while snorkelling near Koh 9 in Mu Koh Similan National Park yesterday afternoon.

Officials from the Thai Maritime Enforcement Centre Region 3 were swiftly notified by the Port Security Control Centre in Phang Nga at approximately 3pm. The victim’s identity remains undisclosed, pending notification of relatives.

Upon reaching the shore, a team of medics and navy security unit officials administered first aid. Despite their efforts, vitals signs were lost on the Frenchman. The race against time continued as the lifeless body was rushed to the Khao Lak Medical Centre where he was pronounced dead.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sometimes, when the snorkel gets stopped up, or water leaks into the snorkel, then one can drown.

Some people don't know how to easily clear the snorkel of water with one strong puff of air.

I agree if you're diving,(it's part of the training) but if one is only at snorkel depth, no real need - just stick your head above the water and spit the mouthpiece out! 

I'd be inclined to agree more with @scubascuba3 - with that board name, he ought to know!

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sometimes, when the snorkel gets stopped up, or water leaks into the snorkel, then one can drown.

Some people don't know how to easily clear the snorkel of water with one strong puff of air.

Or some people are just not strong swimmers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Difficult to drown while snorkeling, more likely came over ill while snorkeling 

Hypoxic blackout, is more common than one thought. Hyper ventilating can be a cause, but also trying to keep the breath while diving.

5 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

Hypoxic blackout, is more common than one thought. Hyper ventilating can be a cause, but also trying to keep the breath while diving.

not during basic snorkeling at the surface, I doubt he was freediving

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Difficult to drown while snorkeling, more likely came over ill while snorkeling 

Very strange comment coming from someone called scubascuba! As you should know snorkeling is very, very dangerous once you hold your breath and dive below the surface. Due to pressure the growing co2 level in your blood is compressed. On returning to the surface the co2 level expands due to lack of pressure.  When you get near the surface the level of co2 in your blood expands so much that you can simply pass out. When you pass out you start to breath and still being under the surface, you drown. This is taught or should be taught on a Dive master or Dive instructors course (I can't remember which one). Padi master scuba diving instructor or maybe I know nothing. Do you not wonder why this keeps on happening.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, BritScot said:

As you should know snorkeling is very, very dangerous once you hold your breath and dive below the surface

No it isnt.

Freedivers? well thats a different story, they're on the limit of oxygen starvation at deep depths

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VBF said:

I'd be inclined to agree more with @scubascuba3 - with that board name, he ought to know!

Sure about that ?...   going by his handle he's only been 3x !!!! :giggle:

But, yes....  absolutely agree with you and Scuba..     at 66 years old, its more than likely he fell ill due the exercise of snorkelling.

8 hours ago, JackGats said:

It doesn't say whether the victim was wearing a life jacket. Some people overestimate themselves by "not needing" one.

This is true...  I recall from my childhood that my father used to be a very strong swimmer...   when the folks came over to Thailand we did the Phi-Phi thing and snorkelled in Maya Bay...  Father put his life jacked on and I'm glad he did, he was very unsure of himself in the water, probably having not swam for a couple of decades... 

But, more than that...   other issues contribute a drowning.

I'm a very strong swimmer (or rather, used to be) - I recall having cramp in a training session - completely debilitated in the water, all I could do was cling on to the ropes...  

2 hours ago, Stocky said:
14 hours ago, VBF said:

Strewth, I wouldn't pay much heed to a nickname, maybe that's what his mates called him because he likes muffdiving? 

Fair enough Vulgar Bald Fu........       :whistling:   :clap2:  :giggle:

(sorry... door was open....)......

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough Vulgar Bald Fu........       :whistling:   :clap2:  :giggle:

(sorry... door was open....)......

No probs mate - I can actually take a joke. 😆

It's not too bad a description actually..... 'cept that I'm not bald yet!

But if you knew what it really stood for, you'd see that your effort is TAME!!!

If anyone from Phuket Hash House Harriers is reading this......