Under-seasoned western food in Thailand

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where are you travelling to...    from Nakhon nowhere to Nakhon nowhere ??.. 

There loads of excellent Western restaurants in Thailand, many owned by Westerners too...      But if you 'dont bother with them'... how would you know... 

Your comment reads a lot like the guys who state they 'avoid other foreigners' when in Thailand...  its just weird...  Loads of excellent cuisine from all over in and around Thailand, mostly in the built up areas of course. 

Where ? ... the whole country.

Excellent ? ... hasn't been my experiences.   Best western food, usually was prepared by Thais, 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Excellent ? ... hasn't been my experiences.   Best western food, usually was prepared by Thais, 

YMMV

Fair enough...  All western food prepared by Westerners in all of Thailand is rubbish... Gotchya....   Your Mileage Most Certainly did vary...   I wonder if you got any Mileage at all !!! :giggle:

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Salt is salt , the only difference is marketing ,,, I myself use Himalayan salt ,

which is better than the Celtic sh it.

regards worgeordie 

Ah, so now you are a culinary expert!

Lord preserve us 

Go Celtic.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough...  All western food prepared by Westerners in all of Thailand is rubbish... Gotchya....   Your Mileage Most Certainly did vary...   I wonder if you got any Mileage at all !!! :giggle:

Didn't say all, but I won't roll the dice any more, as more fail than not.

I've always been able to prepare it better at home, and that's saying a lot, as if not Yank, Italian or Tex Mex, I've probably just learned how to.

Italian, yet to think any is better than what I was raised on, even by Italians here in Thailand.   Though that's really not too surprising, since S. Philly was all 1st & 2nd generations Italians (old school), with access to excellent ingredients.  And simply what I'm used to, and many from Italy would probably think that's a corrupt version.

Sad I do a better job in house, than they, most do at their restaurants here.  

UK & EU food (G20), doesn't do much for me.   Except German/Amish, again, since very close to Lancaster, PA, and if not visiting out there, then that's how the Reading Terminal Market got started, as the Amish would bring their wares to town to sell.   OMG ... though now, it's more tourist trap, though still a couple old vendors still there.

Also if seen the 1st Rocky movie, I use tag along with me father every Sunday morning (the 60's) and hit the Italian market at S. Philly.

I'm going to say I know ethnic food fairly well, except for Africa.  Never got into Chinatown, back in USA either.

Mexican, Caribbean, Creole/Cajun cuisine is amazing.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't say all, but I won't roll the dice any more, as more fail than not.

I've always been able to prepare it better at home, and that's saying a lot, as if not Yank, Italian or Tex Mex, I've probably just learned how to.

Italian, yet to think any is better than what I was raised on, even by Italians here in Thailand.   Though that's really not too surprising, since S. Philly was all 1st & 2nd generations Italians (old school), with access to excellent ingredients.  And simply what I'm used to, and many from Italy would probably think that's a corrupt version.

Sad I do a better job in house, than they, most do at their restaurants here.  

UK & EU food (G20), doesn't do much for me.   Except German/Amish, again, since very close to Lancaster, PA, and if not visiting out there, then that's how the Reading Terminal Market got started, as the Amish would bring their wares to town to sell.   OMG ... though now, it's more tourist trap, though still a couple old vendors still there.

Also if seen the 1st Rocky movie, I use tag along with me father every Sunday morning (the 60's) and hit the Italian market at S. Philly.

I'm going to say I know ethnic food fairly well, except for Africa.  Never got into Chinatown, back in USA either.

Mexican, Caribbean, Creole/Cajun cuisine is amazing.

Well to be fair.. as much as I've 'ripped you'... it does sounds as though you know your food...  

I just question the generalisation, thats all.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Ah, so now you are a culinary expert!

Lord preserve us 

Go Celtic.

Salt expert , I'll leave the culinary to you ,  Celtic salt  from south coast of Britain , which the water boards have been letting

untreated sh it ,flow freely into the sea ,  or Himalayan salt from the salt mines , laid down before there was any pollution in

the seas , take you choice ......and why bring the Toon into it , no way to banter ,bringing one's team into it ,

regards worgeordie

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

YMMV

I like a couple of German restaurants in Pattaya the owner are Germans, but the cooks are Thai and the food is fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Salt expert , I'll leave the culinary to you ,  Celtic salt  from south coast of Britain , which the water boards have been letting

untreated sh it ,flow freely into the sea ,  or Himalayan salt from the salt mines , laid down before there was any pollution in

the seas , take you choice ......and why bring the Toon into it , no way to banter ,bringing one's team into it ,

regards worgeordie

Ha Ha.

Who says marketing doesn't work! 

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

More marketing!

Enjoy that mercury with your Chinese Himalayan salt...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/898024035377800?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

I was going to ridicule your use of a facebook link as credible source...  But what they say in the video rings very true.

Unless you eat a lot of processed food, I wouldn't be concerned about your salt intake.  5gr/2000mg and 2300mg about 1 tsp, which is actually a lot of a salt.  

I put 10gr in a whole loaf of bread @ 870gr total wt.

Some acronyms recommend 1500mg - 2300 - <3000mg

Pretty sure I'm at or below recommended 2300mgr of table salt a day.  Rarely eat processed food.  

Is it really bad for you ... Of course, there is always a study to contradict the other study :cheesy:

Your body also retains or releases salt as it is needed, so drink your water.  Let your body decide how much and or what type of sodium it wants.

Eat what the hell you want, with some common sense.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

And from which sea in the landlocked Himalayas do they get this stuff?

Do you not no much about geography , the Himalayas where once at the bottom of the sea ,

movement of the plates  there's a clue, you can even find sea shells up there ,

regards worgeordie

42 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Do you not no much about geography , the Himalayas where once at the bottom of the sea ,

regards worgeordie

You might be old and smart as you say but Himalayan salt comes from China mixed with chemicals and most of it comes from the Punjab region in Pakistan.

Edited by still kicking
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

YMMV

So what do you eat when you go out, Thai food?

I can't stomach chili anymore, not even a tiny bit, so a fair amount of Thai food is off the menu for me. Also when I walk past restaurants and look at what Thai people are eating it doesn't appeal to me, even if I was able/could be bothered to get them to make it mai phet.

I really want to overcome this near-phobia of Thai food, so if you can give me a few suggestions for restaurants and dishes in Bangkok that serve knock-your-socks-off Thai food that blows mediocre Western food out of the water, that would be great. I think you've mentioned before that you travel to Bangkok fairly regularly 

By restaurant I mean a nice place to sit down and get a cold beer or a glass of wine with one's meal, not some hole in the wall pad grapao joint. 

The only places I've been to so far are the likes of Mango Tree off of Suriyawong and Coco Chao Phraya on Phra Athit but I came away from them as underwhelmed as I have from the lower-budget Western joints that I've been to (too many to list). Can't afford the likes of Cocotte and all those other schmany places that @richard_smith237 goes to 🤣

59 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Doesn't matter where they were 200 odd million years ago, it's not sea salt that's being produced nowadays.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

So what do you eat when you go out, Thai food?

I can't stomach chili anymore, not even a tiny bit, so a fair amount of Thai food is off the menu for me. Also when I walk past restaurants and look at what Thai people are eating it doesn't appeal to me, even if I was able/could be bothered to get them to make it mai phet.

I really want to overcome this near-phobia of Thai food, so if you can give me a few suggestions for restaurants and dishes in Bangkok that serve knock-your-socks-off Thai food that blows mediocre Western food out of the water, that would be great. I think you've mentioned before that you travel to Bangkok fairly regularly 

By restaurant I mean a nice place to sit down and get a cold beer or a glass of wine with one's meal, not some hole in the wall pad grapao joint. 

The only places I've been to so far are the likes of Mango Tree off of Suriyawong and Coco Chao Phraya on Phra Athit but I came away from them as underwhelmed as I have from the lower-budget Western joints that I've been to (too many to list). Can't afford the likes of Cocotte and all those other schmany places that @richard_smith237 goes to 🤣

I really don't remember the names of the place when O&A, unless I do a review of.  Especially Krung Thep, as we try not to stay in the same areas, unless have to.

Whatever is in walking distance from the hotel.  Sometimes ma/pa shop, other AC'd if available.   I'm partial to Massaman & Curries, so can get a little spicy to very spicy.  Som tam Tai is not suppose to be spicy, but unless the rinse the mortar out, it will be from residual juices from last batch, which is fine, and I rarely need to add Cayenne to it.

I don't mind a little spicy, as long as it's not the only thing you taste, or fries your taste buds.

Sweet & sour is always a safe, though I will add chili to that, if overly sweet.  One of the few dishes that has veggies in it, aside from simply ordering a side of stir fry veggies.

We'll eat mall food courts when there, though after 20+ years, I know what to order, always cooked fresh.

If looking for Italian, Fam Time Steak and Pasta is quite decent, (not the pizza), on suk soi 16.

Edited by KhunLA

11 hours ago, treetops said:

And from which sea in the landlocked Himalayas do they get this stuff?

The Sea of Hopes and Dreams... 

Himalayan salt is rock salt (halite) mined from the Punjab region of Pakistan. The salt, which often has a pinkish tint due to trace minerals, is primarily used as a food additive to replace refined table salt, but is also used for cooking and food presentation, decorative lamps, and spa treatments. The product is often promoted with unsupported claims that it has health benefits. Wikipedia

On 1/29/2024 at 2:48 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Ah well...   Then you could well be right...  The restaurants you go that serve Western food perhaps do under-season their Western Food.

Its not something I've found issue with at Western restaurants in Bangkok (such as Wine Connection through to places such as Cocotte and El Mercado, Bacco, Big Mama's etc)... 

So.. perhaps its the individual establishments themselves and you need to experiment some more to find better places ?

The places I listed are in Bangkok... Where are you located ?... maybe someone has good recommendation... Or if you are in Bangkok try some of the above listed places.

Wine connection is pretty good. It was an exception for sure (that i had forgotten about). 

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 1:02 AM, Everyman said:

Has anyone else noticed that western food in Thailand is usually under-seasoned? They don’t salt french fries at all. Even pizza needs salt. The only western food that has enough salt is fast food. 

I expect that some of you will reply that you have found the opposite to be true and that you are concerned about eating too much salt. 

If you are also a drinker, this should not concern you since you probably have a sodium deficiency, along with a deficiency of other water soluble minerals. 

I was a Chef in Cm and had to teach thais to cook my western recipes..FAIL......they could not understand the concept of seasoning..just salt and pepper....as they use white pepper..i would use kosher salt and course black pepper.....and being able to gauge how much........not to mention safe temps..hygiene etc... quality control...storing temps.....i gave up after 5 months and quit...sadly

I went to cooking school in 1987 and been cooking ever since..

however said pizza needs salt is wrong as i worked in a scratch italian rest with wood fire oven..all scratch..dough-sauce -cheese have enough

have never ever put salt on top of a pizza in my life as its already baked in...the food is sent out seasoned to taste by the one making it(if properly trained)

• Agree 1