Veteran actor Kraison Saenganan defrauded of 7 million baht in investment scam

snoop1130

7-15.jpeg

Former actor Kraison Saenganan fell victim to an online scam that swindled him out of nearly 7 million baht (US$196,629), a significant sum that came to light when he filed a police report in Bangkok. The 66 year old veteran of the silver screen, also known by his screen name Leela Mekintharin, was duped by a fraudulent investment scheme that led to a substantial financial loss.

Today, January 29, 66 year old Kraison approached the press, revealing the deceit that he had fallen prey to a scam. He had been enticed to invest and transfer a large sum of money via the messaging app LINE. Realising that he had been scammed, he complained to the swindlers about their conspiracy to commit fraud.

The incident initially occurred on December 26, around 5.18pm at his residence in Chiang Mai. It was only later, while in Bangkok, that he became certain of the deceit and proceeded to file an official complaint to seek justice against the culprits.

The investigation is being handled by Deputy Inspector Ratchachai Piyawaj, of the Bang Khen Police Station in Bangkok. Kraison’s decision to file the complaint there was due to his presence in the capital at the time he realised the scam. He reported that the fraudsters had identified him and communicated via social media, convincing him to trust and engage with a scammer using the LINE account name Annop Sukhumphan.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Not much sympathy for the  victim on the forum. Some of these scams are now very complex Banks and retailers encourage people to conduct transactions by smartphones making people especially the older generation more vunerable. 

via line app?

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

Not much sympathy for the  victim on the forum. Some of these scams are now very complex Banks and retailers encourage people to conduct transactions by smartphones making people especially the older generation more vunerable. 

<deleted>, it has nothing to do with smartphones, boiler rooms have been cold-calling people out of the blue and getting them to go down to the bank and transfer huge sums via wire transfer for decades.

As for complexity, the premise always breaks down to one simple leap of faith, greed that makes people overlook the scam that is obvious to everyone else. 

After decades of hosting the foreign fraudsters that plied the Western world with their scams from Thailand, thais are no longer protected by the agreements that used to ensure the boiler rooms didn't scam people inside the country and they are 10 years behind the learning curve, kind of like Australians and Europeans in the 2000s

https://pantip.com/topic/42437394

What is interesting is that on panthip.com many are saying that they sound like they are using google translate in their line groups, so likely not 100 percent local in their operations 

Edited by n00dle

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

via line app?

The LINE app is used by a lot of scammers because it is not controlled by anybody.
Even most scammers on Facebook are asking "Permission" to chat in LINE as in Facebook they can be reported.

44 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The LINE app is used by a lot of scammers because it is not controlled by anybody.
Even most scammers on Facebook are asking "Permission" to chat in LINE as in Facebook they can be reported.

yes ... I get people regularly on LINE who how the h_ll they got my ID i don't know .... but I just keep deleting or blocking them.  Some complete stranger wants to chat with you on LINE ....  THAT SPELLS SCAM ....  

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ... I get people regularly on LINE who how the h_ll they got my ID i don't know .... but I just keep deleting or blocking them.  Some complete stranger wants to chat with you on LINE ....  THAT SPELLS SCAM ....  

The problem with LINE accounts is that they are tied to a phone number.

A friend of mine, who has several factories in Indonesia, gets a new phone card every time he is in thailand.
He also makes every time a new LINE account to be in contact with his wife and children.
After a few months, the phone card is simply thrown away.
Somebody else gets the old phone card, but will be registrered in LINE under my friends name.
LINE is a real mess and about time to ditch that application. 

• Like 1

I recently had to transfer money to a Government authority in the UK. I usually do this online but a problem meant that I had to go into the branch and do it there. The guy asked me umpteen questions designed to elicit if I was been subjected to a scam. The whole process took forever. At the end I asked how many times he comes across a genuine scam. He said “all the time”. Most are romance scams but these things are happening in every country and many are falling for it.