UK Considers Aircraft Carrier Deployment to Red Sea as Tensions Rise

Social Media

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems the only option the US is not considering is taking the Houthis at their word and making israel stop killing Gazans.

Not an option.

Israel is the third rail in American politics. Touch it and Die. Biden pays lip service for them to stop and then sends them billions. 

So no outside pressure. 

Israel has a demographics problem with the Orthodox jews  birth rate at 6.5  as opposed  with an overall birth rate of 2,0 , which seems high , but remove the Orthodox component and it's probably in the 1.? rate . so not only ate Orthodox jews driving Israeli politics now, but it is projected that in the next 10 years they will be a large component of the Israeli population. 

A Two State solution is not an option for them. The Israelis know it, Biden knows it, the Palestinians know it. 

So no internal pressure. 

The pressure would be to eliminate or degrade the Houthis . unless there is a third option I am not aware of. 

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The pressure would be to eliminate or degrade the Houthis . unless there is a third option I am not aware of. 

Trying to do so will backfire as it would likely evolve into Iraq version 2 or Afghanistan.

The Americans must be sick to the back teeth of Middle East wars, and paying large for the two they ain't sending boys to ( yet ).

It's not as though the conflict would be confined to Yemen either. What happens if Iran opens a second front against shipping on their coast?

At some point even US warmongers will hit a wall.

Also, I can't see Britain or the EU joining in. They have enough problems of their own domestically, and Yemen is far away.

However, I'm 100% certain that Russia and China are gagging for the US to get bogged down in yet another bound to end badly adventure in the Middle East.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

War is never clear or  concise, and generally devolves to a man with a rifle grovelling in the dirt to try and not get blown up, and if future circumstances means the UK can't get spares or replacement planes from the US their carriers become irrelevant.

Making their own planes means that situation can't arise.

When did cost effectiveness mean a <deleted> in the middle of a war?

2/ If that is irrelevant why did you reply to any of my posts about making aircraft in the UK?

@thaibeachlovers

So cost effectiveness during a war is not a thing?

You seem to go on and on about it, though - quite central to your arguments regarding:

1. The situation vs. the Houthies.

2. The war in the Gaza Strip.

3. The war in Ukraine.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not an option.

Israel is the third rail in American politics. Touch it and Die. Biden pays lip service for them to stop and then sends them billions. 

So no outside pressure. 

Israel has a demographics problem with the Orthodox jews  birth rate at 6.5  as opposed  with an overall birth rate of 2,0 , which seems high , but remove the Orthodox component and it's probably in the 1.? rate . so not only ate Orthodox jews driving Israeli politics now, but it is projected that in the next 10 years they will be a large component of the Israeli population. 

A Two State solution is not an option for them. The Israelis know it, Biden knows it, the Palestinians know it. 

So no internal pressure. 

@sirineou

Orthodox Jews in Israel do favor right wing views, but they're not the hardcore element in right-wing politics.

It's a 'wee' bit more complex than that, but not what the topic is about.

Regardless, @thaibeachlovers's 'opinion' that it's a simple matter of USA pressure is obviously incorrect.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trying to do so will backfire as it would likely evolve into Iraq version 2 or Afghanistan.

The Americans must be sick to the back teeth of Middle East wars, and paying large for the two they ain't sending boys to ( yet ).

It's not as though the conflict would be confined to Yemen either. What happens if Iran opens a second front against shipping on their coast?

At some point even US warmongers will hit a wall.

Also, I can't see Britain or the EU joining in. They have enough problems of their own domestically, and Yemen is far away.

However, I'm 100% certain that Russia and China are gagging for the US to get bogged down in yet another bound to end badly adventure in the Middle East.

@thaibeachlovers

You're all over the place.

Are there any intentions to invade Yemen? I don't think so. Any signs of such upcoming invasion? Nada.

Iran opens a full campaign against shipping lanes on their coast? Are you serious? Like shoot themselves in the foot? How do you suppose they export oil? Import stuff? And why would they be interested in opening themselves to international censure and attack doing so?

1 hour ago, DeaconJohn said:

Let's hope so..

But don't count on it happening anytime soon.

It's all about the Shekels, baby.

They were originally Benjamins but got lost in translation.

More antisemitic conspiracy theories from the usual suspects.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:59 AM, Bkk Brian said:

The UK has two new carriers, so one out of action with a prop problem, and? 

... oops

"British aircraft carrier fails to leave port"

The departure of the HMS Prince of Wales for NATO drills has been delayed, the UK Defense Ministry has said

The HMS Prince of Wales has been unable to depart for the largest NATO exercise since the Cold War, the British Defense Ministry has said. This marks the second blunder involving a Royal Navy aircraft carrier within the space of one week.

Its sister ship, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, was initially slated to spearhead the Nordic Response 2024 drills, which would gather some 40 NATO warships off Norway’s coast in March and serve as the naval component of the US-led military bloc’s broader Steadfast Defender 2024 exercise. However, the carrier’s participation in the wargames was canceled at the last minute on February 4 after the discovery of a problem with the starboard propeller shaft coupling."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

... oops

The departure of the HMS Prince of Wales for NATO drills has been delayed, the UK Defense Ministry has said

The HMS Prince of Wales has been unable to depart for the largest NATO exercise since the Cold War, the British Defense Ministry has said. This marks the second blunder involving a Royal Navy aircraft carrier within the space of one week.

Its sister ship, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, was initially slated to spearhead the Nordic Response 2024 drills, which would gather some 40 NATO warships off Norway’s coast in March and serve as the naval component of the US-led military bloc’s broader Steadfast Defender 2024 exercise. However, the carrier’s participation in the wargames was canceled at the last minute on February 4 after the discovery of a problem with the starboard propeller shaft coupling."

oops....trying to sneak in an RT link. Again.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

I did notice a mod/news posting admin members using, so guess it's save for us to use.

Was actually surprised, as I've had RT links deleted before.   Why I avoided many discussions, as what would be the point.   Maybe the censorship of alternative thoughts have stopped.   

I consider MSM nothing but propaganda, so letting both sides get the POV out would be only fair, unless someone can prove what is posted is false.

Why I add .... IMHO ... to many posts.

As a disclaimer, so if not agreeing with my opinion, then you might want to do your own research.   Last time I checked, we're allowed to express opinions.

Avoids all the silly request for a 'link to' as my links didn't pass approval :coffee1:

Irrelevant, since most comment without reading links anyway, as this thread is proof of.  Also why I avoid many discussion, as trying to have one with ignorant people is quite futile.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I did notice a mod/news posting admin members using, so guess it's save for us to use.

Was actually surprised, as I've had RT links deleted before.   Why I avoided many discussions, as what would be the point.   Maybe the censorship of alternative thoughts have stopped.   

I consider MSM nothing but propaganda, so letting both sides get the POV out would be only fair, unless someone can prove what is posted is false.

As a disclaimer, so if not agreeing with my opinion, then you might want to do your own research.   Last time I checked, we're allowed to express opinions.

Avoids all the silly request for a 'link to' as my links didn't pass approval :coffee1:

Irrelevant, since most comment without reading links anyway, as this thread is proof of.  Also why I avoid many discussion, as trying to have one with ignorant people is quite futile.

Not aware of RT used as source for stories on here.

What you 'consider' is not very interesting. RT IS propaganda.

Things don't have to be totally 'false' in order for them to be propaganda, it doesn't work this way.

IMO, adding IMHO to a post is not a carte blanche.

But do go on about 'ignorant', by all means....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Link to that?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not aware of RT used as source for stories on here.

What you 'consider' is not very interesting. RT IS propaganda.

Things don't have to be totally 'false' in order for them to be propaganda, it doesn't work this way.

IMO, adding IMHO to a post is not a carte blanche.

But do go on about 'ignorant', by all means....

All news is nothing but Op-Eds now, and all bias ... IMHO

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Credible links :cheesy:

... how's MaliOnline - seems acceptable as used often on AN. A bit tabloid-ish IMO

... then there's the BBC - MSM echo box

Wow, same story line, they must be part of the RT propaganda machine also.  In disguise, who would have thought :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Credible links :cheesy:

... how's MaliOnline - seems acceptable as used often on AN. A bit tabloid-ish IMO

... then there's the BBC - MSM echo box

Wow, same story line, they must be part of the RT propaganda machine also.  In disguise, who would have thought :coffee1:

I take it that's your way of getting a link to where RT News was used by AN.

Did the Mail on Line or BBC ever promote burning or drowning Ukrainian children? No? RT news did. Its nothing but state controlled fake news, disinformation and propaganda. Mixed in with some facts just to make it seem credible to the gullible.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Is Sunak doing a" Maggie", the Falkland's war was in 1982, in the 1983 election the Conservatives won, a lot said it was the Falkland's factor that won it.

Fast forward to now, the present Conservatives government are dead meat, Boris and Covid, No 10 parties etc., Sunnak is not doing well, is he thinking let's sort these Houthi rebels out make the Red sea safe and we will win the next election.

He has got two hopes, no hope and Bob Hope, the economy is not good some are going to say what is all this costing the UK payer, some will say we should not be they at all, not our problem, others will say why us, and no other countries helping out.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

... oops

Oops. So much for sending one to the Red Sea to punish those naughty Houthies. Maybe later.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree.

However, in politics there are no guarantees, and I can forsee the day when the US is forced to give the finger to zionist interference in US politics.

I really doubt that Israel would lose favour. You forget that the "Islamists" and Arab cause have very little sympathy in Africa and Asia. Russia and India have populations that have been getting more Islamophobic and not less Islamophobic as time has gone forward.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Arindos said:

I really doubt that Israel would lose favour. You forget that the "Islamists" and Arab cause have very little sympathy in Africa and Asia. Russia and India have populations that have been getting more Islamophobic and not less Islamophobic as time has gone forward.

Huh?

How many million Muslims in India?

Russia will support anything against the west, so will china to a lesser extent.

No Arab sympathy in Africa? On what basis do you write that, you're aware that the whole area north of Sahara is Muslim?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:44 AM, KhunLA said:

The HMS Prince of Wales has been unable to depart for the largest NATO exercise since the Cold War

Just a week after HMS Queen Elizabeth was withdrawn from exercise Steadfast Defender due to a defect, HMS Prince of Wales has sailed as her replacement.

This represents a staggering effort by the ship’s company and the support team in Portsmouth. PWLS was at 30 days’ notice to sail but has been prepared to sail in 7 days.

Rapid response – HMS Prince of Wales sails to replace her sister ship at short notice | Navy Lookout

14 hours ago, Arindos said:

What are you smoking? Look at the religion of all the countries that surround israel. Not many Jewish or Christian ones, are there?

In the long run, given the comparative birth rates, IMO israel is doomed, unless it can somehow solve the Palestinian problem to the satisfaction of all the regional countries, including Iran.

BTW, Russia and India don't border israel.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

What are you smoking? Look at the religion of all the countries that surround israel. Not many Jewish or Christian ones, are there?

In the long run, given the comparative birth rates, IMO israel is doomed, unless it can somehow solve the Palestinian problem to the satisfaction of all the regional countries, including Iran.

BTW, Russia and India don't border israel.

I mean that the Israeli cause still has a lot of support among young people in Asia, it's primarily only the Muslim countries that are concerned about the plight of Arabs, and even then the progression is surely that any ex-Muslims will stop caring about Arabs? 

In the West the progression seems to be that you end up with a large young "neutral" population who don't want to side with the Arab cause because they sympathise with the non-Arab views, but they tend to stay out of supporting Israel to avoid looking politically incorrect.

• Confused 1