How Does the YouTube Algorithm Decide What to Feed me Next?

Google (which owns YouTube) sees every thing you read and watch. 

That's how they make their money.

They will bombard you with ads or things that are similar that have ads of the things you have read or watched.

This is very intrusive but this is modern day marketing.

There are way to reduce but that's a totally different topic....

image.png.3c51d9f04b8e6bb83d643692e541f6b8.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

They will bombard you with ads or things that are similar that have ads of the things you have read or watched.

When in reason, I am up for it.

However, music from the Scat Man is just too much.

Somewhere, we must draw the line.

PS:  And now, they are trying to get me to subscribe and pay money for this?

No way!

PPS:  i guess everybody inside Googleplex believes everyone outside Googleplex are complete MORONS, or something....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

Also, in days gone by, we could listen to songs about the TAX MAN...and not much appreciate them.

But now, we need to be fed songs about SCAT!?

A bridge too far.

Will this progression to the bottom never cease?

SCAT MAN....Indeed!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

41 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Hardly surprising going by your scatty posts. 😋 You’ve probably got YouTube’s algo beat (pun intended). As it’s not a paid for service, they do pretty well. 

Google still has a ways to go to catch up to me, ...

Obviously.

Note:  For sure, I will be replaced by some Google AI within the next 4 or 5 years.  Therefore, enjoy my submissions while they last.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

They are listening too.. days ago I was discussing with a friend which is managing a surf's company in Bangkok. I did just enquire about his job, I do not surf and have no interest in such activity, never checked anything surf related - phone was in my hand. Following day, YouTube reels prompted me surf adv first time ever. Spooking.

Edited by NicoBKK
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally, I think the Google YouTube Algorithm is brain damaged,

Just a moment ago, Google fed me this irreverent tune:

And, just a moment before, I had been listening to Chamber Music.

Does this also happen to you?

Or, am I the only one?

How can this glitch be fixed?

Do we need to contact Google, or something?

Thank you.

Regards,

Gamma

Mind control. 

Slightly off topic I suppose. I don't have a lot of experience with YouTube and its algorithm but I have a lot with Amazon's algo for Kindle books. I buy a couple of e-books a week and read them. Amazon on an almost daily basis sends 'suggestions' for me to buy. I am staggered that almost none of the suggested books are anything like I either want to read or would consider buying....worse than a broadcast mailer, yet it claims to represent suggestions based on past purchases. I've had a Kindle for 12 years and have an extensive buying record for them to access. Example: I rarely read female authors and am fed up with feminist topics or lesbian themes, yet almost every single book they suggest is by female authors writing about homosexual love or feminist struggles to get ahead. BARF. I contrast this to Spotify, who are dead on with their selections....I wonder why Amazon don't purchase Spotify's algo.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When in reason, I am up for it.

However, music from the Scat Man is just too much.

Somewhere, we must draw the line.

PS:  And now, they are trying to get me to subscribe and pay money for this?

No way!

PPS:  i guess everybody inside Googleplex believes everyone outside Googleplex are complete MORONS, or something....

... think you got a point there mate, the c-rap they come up with in my case sure doesn't fit on a cow hide by now!

Finally got rid of the PITA shorts using uBblock Origin a while ago but what shows up in the feed now is freakin weird ... only last 2 or 3 days though, as far as I am concerned ...

• Like 1

There are numerous options to partake from.....especially these with all of the systematic and institutional control. 

Most have become comfortable [and dumbed down] with the distracting and misdirected dominant paradigm. 

Never questioning. Never challenging. 

Even reasoned and supposedly intelligent folk don't know the difference nor realized they're being duped. 

1984-brave-new-world-fahrenheit-451-conspiracy-ess-womens-t-shirt.jpg

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally, I think the Google YouTube Algorithm is brain damaged,

Just a moment ago, Google fed me this irreverent tune:

And, just a moment before, I had been listening to Chamber Music.

Does this also happen to you?

Or, am I the only one?

How can this glitch be fixed?

Do we need to contact Google, or something?

Thank you.

Regards,

Gamma

Possibly someone at Google/You Tube reads Asean Now and thought that Gamma Globulin needs a bit if a kick up the arse!  555

It is with everything, internet is becoming a censured thing, an advert book.

Once asked in my own language "biggest pump in the world" , didnt show much. Then I put it in English and got more results.

Even my country had the biggest pump ! Even 2 of them.

Later on it changed again, not finding it in English but in my language it shows. Weird.

Just tried again and now almost NO results in both languages. Articles once showed ... gone. Not shown anymore.

Then it seems you MUST change search command, as shown down scrolling and it gives other options.

Then you could get some more info. It is weird, real weird.

Youtube the same, also limited. You MUST really know the words to find. 

For instance looking for band "Highlander" if you type & search, crap results.

Lots of results is about the movie.

Adding band to it, crap again.

So  I know a number of the band  and add it, finally, then it shows some results.

Personally I think this has started from 2012  and is getting worse and crappier all the time.. 

I go through my youtube offers daily and tell them not to offer from certain channels. Two days later exactly the same video is once again in my feed. I sometimes wonder if their algorithm takes any notice what soever. If I am tempted to watch a youtube video shown on another site I am immediately inundated with similar videos. If I save a video to watch later, which I do if I would like to watch it more than once, they repeatedly put it back in my feed even when they know I have bookmarked it for future reference and do not need to be shown it again.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had days where I go from watching cooking videos to suddenly getting bombarded with extreme sports recommendations 😃 It's like the algorithm takes a wild guess at what you might like next, which can be hit or miss. I've heard it's all about what's trending or trying to expose you to a variety of content, but it definitely feels random at times.

In the meantime, I found this little trick that if you manage to get more views on your videos, somehow the algorithm starts favoring your content more, pushing it into recommendations and helping rack up even more views and subscribers. It's like feeding the beast, and it starts working in your favor. 

Edited by lickard