Thai Airways sues over passenger’s flight diversion criticism

webfact

8 hours ago, uttradit said:

Just do it outside the country or take photos and ask for a refund if hotel is bad. Bad restaurant give 3 stars say average.

right  !    I understand that but i'm trying to explain that the system is so wrong in every way,  it's trying to control your opinion as such which makes anyone angry for sure.  As for just stars ... no one looks at the stars,  they read comments and factual opinions. 

• Agree 1

I and also my daughter have experienced very bad and incompetent follow up after flight time changes recently. It seems to me that they probably fired competent personell during covid. I never had any problems before covid with Thai and I used them a lot, becoming platinium member. I will not boycott them, but I will avoid flying with them because there are as I see it, several better and also cheaper options, both dommestic and international. 

• Agree 1

Thai Airways Sues Customer For Complaining About Diversion

Ben Schlappig

22 hours ago

This incident happened on January 28, 2024, and involves Thai Airways flight TG465 from Bangkok (BKK) to Melbourne (MEL). The flight was operated by a roughly five-year-old Airbus A350-900 with the registration code HS-THN.

On the morning the flight was supposed to land, visibility in Melbourne wasn’t good. After some time in a holding pattern, the decision was made to divert to Sydney (SYD). The plane spent some time on the ground, and then eventually operated the short flight from Sydney to Melbourne, arriving a bit over four hours late.

Full article: 

https://onemileatatime.com/news/thai-airways-sues-customer-complaining/

On 2/2/2024 at 6:59 AM, webfact said:

The airline asserts that the crew followed international safety and security standards

This statement alone should have been enough to explain their decision and actions and counter any criticism. Taking legal action is over the top IMHO. Just how immature are these people? 

Just proves in any form of society, diversity and business in this day and age, it's impossible not to offend someone by voicing one's opinions. We all need to walk around like robots with our mouths glued shut...

I worked for this company - glad I haven't posted the sort of things I saw and experienced on a near daily basis!

Who gives advice to these people? What possible good could result from this legal action - nothing positive to most people I think.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:59 AM, webfact said:

Many have voiced support for Thai Airways’ decision to take legal action against the passenger, praising the airline for setting a positive precedent in a society increasingly filled with disrespect, reported KhaoSod.

Swinging small spheres in a sack!

Not a good PR move.

I think TG suing this Australian moron gives him way more importance than he deserves.

It is somehone who obviously knows nothing about aviation and who probably never had the lives of hundreds of passengers on his shoulders.

Really, Thai Airways sueing a passenger for his personal opinion, The airline must be desperate for cash. I mean, the comment would have fizzled away in a few days, and would it really affect Thai Airways, I seriously doubt it. Now Thai Airways will be known for their actions against passengers who complain about anything. More harm done than good. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Really, Thai Airways sueing a passenger for his personal opinion, The airline must be desperate for cash. I mean, the comment would have fizzled away in a few days, and would it really affect Thai Airways, I seriously doubt it. Now Thai Airways will be known for their actions against passengers who complain about anything. More harm done than good. 

I remember talking to a Russian Airport Manager in a discussion about noise abatement and complaints from residents who lived close by to the airport.

He said that they listened to a complainant twice, third time they complained...... they moved them!!

6 hours ago, CDG931 said:

Not a good PR move.

I think TG suing this Australian moron gives him way more importance than he deserves.

It is somehone who obviously knows nothing about aviation and who probably never had the lives of hundreds of passengers on his shoulders.

He's Thai.

Just now, steven100 said:

is he a Thai ?    so a Thai complained   ?

Yes. He is a Thai national. The complaint was also made in the Thai language . Where did you get the idea he was an Australian? The only Australian part of this story is it involved a passenger on a THAI flight to Australia and his post was made in Australia. 

2 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Yes. He is a Thai national. The complaint was also made in the Thai language . Where did you get the idea he was an Australian? The only Australian part of this story is it involved a passenger on a THAI flight to Australia and his post was made in Australia. 

Yeah they really like to control and punish their own, cowards and bully's you see!

I think they still might remember the uproar that the hotel on Koh Chang caused when they got a foreign customer locked up in gaol for a negative review but they have no problem going after their own...

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Yeah they really like to control and punish their own, cowards and bully's you see!

I think they still might remember the uproar that the hotel on Koh Chang caused when they got a foreign customer locked up in gaol for a negative review but they have no problem going after their own...

The man who got in trouble in Koh Chang didn't get jailed and he didn't just leave a bad review , he prolonger campaign against the hotel, writing fake reviews under various names

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

The man who got in trouble in Koh Chang didn't get jailed and he didn't just leave a bad review , he prolonger campaign against the hotel, writing fake reviews under various names

I call BS on this! He was jailed by the local plod as the family that own the hotel are local big shots and couldn't put up with any loss of face, weak entitled pathetic creatures

This is still on Tripadvisor so their petty vindictive natures are there for all to see, dare say they have lost a shedload of business through this and rightly so!!

Message from Tripadvisor:This hotel or individuals associated with this hotel filed criminal charges against a Tripadvisor user in relation to the traveler writing and posting online reviews. The reviewer spent time in jail as a result. Tripadvisor serves its users best when travelers are free to share their opinions and experiences on our platform – both positive and negative. The hotel may have been exercising its legal rights under local law, however, it is our role to inform you so you may take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

I call BS on this! He was jailed by the local plod as the family that own the hotel are local big shots and couldn't put up with any loss of face, weak entitled pathetic creatures

This is still on Tripadvisor so their petty vindictive natures are there for all to see, dare say they have lost a shedload of business through this and rightly so!!

Message from Tripadvisor:This hotel or individuals associated with this hotel filed criminal charges against a Tripadvisor user in relation to the traveler writing and posting online reviews. The reviewer spent time in jail as a result. Tripadvisor serves its users best when travelers are free to share their opinions and experiences on our platform – both positive and negative. The hotel may have been exercising its legal rights under local law, however, it is our role to inform you so you may take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.

He was held in jail for two days whilst the police were investigating him , but he wasn't jailed after that .

He got upset because he had to pay corkage to drink his own beer on their premises 

8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He was held in jail for two days whilst the police were investigating him , but he wasn't jailed after that .

He got upset because he had to pay corkage to drink his own beer on their premises 

He was dragged back from BKK and jailed for 2 days by the local plod for a negative review it's really not difficult is it!

He also was forced to give a cringeworthy apology or risk further charges by the weak, pathetic dim creatures in charge and years later it is still front and centre on Tripadvisor for all to see

I have used Seaview on several occasions prior to this episode but never again...

ps their latest review aren't very positive either who knows if it is a hangover from the managements ill advised public spitting of the dummy but I reckon that has cost them massively and rightly so! 

Edited by mark131v

6 minutes ago, mark131v said:

He was dragged back from BKK and jailed for 2 days by the local plod for a negative review it's really not difficult is it!

He also was forced to give a cringeworthy apology or risk further charges by the weak, pathetic dim creatures in charge and years later it is still front and centre on Tripadvisor for all to see

I have used Seaview on several occasions prior to this episode but never again...

He wrote untrue accusations about the hotel , they were fabricated and malicious false reviews .

All Countries have laws against slander and making false accusations about people/businesses .

He retracted his false allegations and he was free to go 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He wrote untrue accusations about the hotel , they were fabricated and malicious false reviews .

All Countries have laws against slander and making false accusations about people/businesses .

No I don't agree, he was dragged back from Bangkok and jailed for a negative review by petty, small minded management

How do you know his accusations were untrue?

What is beyond speculation is that he was held in the jail on Koh Chang and threatened with further legal action unless he made a public apology, I would think many people would bend to the bully's will if they where in a similar situation especially if the hotel owner was potentially local mafia

We have seen what happens on Thai islands when the local hi-so's lose face if anybody needs reminding google Koh Tao

Why do you think Tripadvisor still have a warning for this hotel?

Would you see the hotels action's as a positive or a negative?

18 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 16.49.34.png

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

No I don't agree, he was dragged back from Bangkok and jailed for a negative review by petty, small minded management

How do you know his accusations were untrue?

What is beyond speculation is that he was held in the jail on Koh Chang and threatened with further legal action unless he made a public apology, I would think many people would bend to the bully's will if they where in a similar situation especially if the hotel owner was potentially local mafia

We have seen what happens on Thai islands when the local hi-so's lose face if anybody needs reminding google Koh Tao

Why do you think Tripadvisor still have a warning for this hotel?

Would you see the hotels action's as a positive or a negative?

He wasn't jailed for making a negative  review .

He posted numerous fake malicious reviews on various websites attacking the hotel

The hotel asked him to stop with his malicious campaign against the hotel and he refused to stop and the hotel took legal action against him to make him stop posting lies on line about the hotel 

US man avoids jail in Thailand over bad resort review

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54473407

I wonder if the hotel would still follow the same actions as their latest reviews are pretty scathing and they don't seem to have gone for the jugular with those, maybe they have learned that Thai face mean's jack <deleted> to the rest of the world and actions have consequences

SEA VIEW RESORT & SPA KOH CHANG - Updated 2024 Prices (Ko Chang, Thailand) (tripadvisor.co.uk)

Tripadvisor puts out warning on Thailand hotel after guest gets jailed for one-star review | The Independent

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He wasn't jailed for making a negative  review .

He posted numerous fake malicious reviews on various websites attacking the hotel

The hotel asked him to stop with his malicious campaign against the hotel and he refused to stop and the hotel took legal action against him to make him stop posting lies on line about the hotel 

I recall the story..... and it did appear that the 'guy' went on a vendetta against the hotel, posting negative reviews on numerous sites.

But.. what led him to do that ???

I had a terrible experience at a hotel once (Europe) and left a scathing TripAdvisor report... (we'd had to call regional management in who still failed to deal with the issues)...   The TripAdvsor report just felt that it wasn't enough, I felt like I wanted my warnings of this place to reach wider so others didn't have the same experience...  But, posting on lots of different sites felt childish, so I left it at that.

Regardless...     the risk of being sued in Thailand for publicly writing of ones negative experiences highlights a lot of what is wrong in this country... even if in the examples used (Thai Airways and SeaView hotel Koh Chaing) the 'negative feedback' was unfair. 

In the case of the SeaView hotel, they really shot themselves in the foot as there is so much competition and people do look up tripadvisor when researching where to stay...   

With ThaiAirways, I don't see this impacting them much, as those who use TG do so for lack of viable alternatives anyway.

The NY Times also ran the story and it seems there are three sides to the story his side their side and the truth but who knows which is which, what is beyond doubt is the hotels reaction has had long term affects

I have no doubt they have lost business through their overreaction. Most business's would just ignore it but not hi-so Thai's their concept of face is uber alles!

Hotel in Thailand That Jailed American Gets New Tripadvisor Label - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Edited by mark131v