Thai astronomers unearth 13 ancient galaxies, smaller than a speck in the universe

webfact

16 minutes ago, proton said:

No it's not they could not write out a TM30, it's re hashed from the Nation

in the credit it says " the Thiger, , i did not see a link or credit to the Nation . Apologies if I missed it. 

But isn't the Nation also an English language expat paper? I will admit i am not familiar with it.  

I doubt the scientists published their findings on the Nation either.  And if it is a copy from a third Thai language paper, I am sure it is a translation.  But I could be wrong.  I have not seen the original press release either. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've taken my Son there a couple of times, he's also had a school trip there.... 

I completely agree with you, its run down... most of the interactive exhibits were not working...  But, the entrance fee's were very low, so its no surprising they are low on funds to keep 'stuff' working...  

Its still an interesting day trip and fun for the kids...  worth taking the little ones for a visit.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how they derive an income to keep the lights on? 

43 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Something is reported and you all jump to demean it. 

What is your problem with it? That it happened? that it was done by Thai people? ot that it was reported?  What is the problem? 

The disrespect toward their hosts, shown by some expats living here, and many whose only connection to Thailand is that once got laid in Pattaya is incredible.

I wonder what motivates them. 

No, I stopped counting after 200. 

15 years service, on the piste and soi 6 + other locations. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

in the credit it says " the Thiger, , i did not see a link or credit to the Nation . Apologies if I missed it. 

But isn't the Nation also an English language expat paper? I will admit i am not familiar with it.  

I doubt the scientists published their findings on the Nation either.  And if it is a copy from a third Thai language paper, I am sure it is a translation.  But I could be wrong.  I have not seen the original press release either. 

I tried to find the press release  published at the The Astrophysical Journal Letters  but I was unable. if anyone can locate it I would appreciate a link to it.  

1 hour ago, parallelman said:

image.png.68d2973d35bcae4b42efa11161b87865.pngThis is a photo published in July 2022, One Dr. Nicha of NARIT' She was part of a team that found the most ancient galaxies yet observed using the JWST. She studied at both the Chicago University and California Institute of Technology.

That looks like my pals' ultralight........

.......after he crashed it!!

16 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Most scientists no longer believe in the big bang.

Don't think that is the case...well that is if you are commenting on Cosmology. Certainly NASA still holds that view because it is based on Einstein's work and the present Stand Model of Quantum Theory. What is hotly debated however, is how the universe will end. But of course you knew that anyway and just threw a negative in there for fun, eh?

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Most scientists no longer believe in the big bang.

Have you seen some of them? Some of them could not get laid with a $100 bill posted on their foreheads, 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Don't think that is the case...well that is if you are commenting on Cosmology. Certainly NASA still holds that view because it is based on Einstein's work and the present Stand Model of Quantum Theory. What is hotly debated however, is how the universe will end. But of course you knew that anyway and just threw a negative in there for fun, eh?

The BB theory is pretty much a bad guess that has many flaws.

https://www.lppfusion.com/science/cosmic-connection/plasma-cosmology/the-growing-case-against-the-big-bang/

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you seen some of them? Some of them could not get laid with a $100 bill posted on their foreheads, 

As opposed to foreigners in Thailand dating Noi from bar number 3?

• Haha 2

image.png.d8b6c2557c2922406ae429bd8b8d0803.png

Yea , I would be sad too. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has unraveled the mysteries of the universe. That is quite a statement. Such humility. Such brilliant and unsurpassed minds! Give them a Nobel peace prize. 

Only according to The Thaiger.  No one in Thailand has made that specific claim

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not wishing to Thai-bash, but they have 'over egged' their announcements in the past which lends to a certain degree of cynicsim when they make such another self aggrandising grandiose announcement. 

[Thai astronomers have unravelled the mysteries of the universe]

Did they say that or was it just The Thaiger?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

What is your problem with it? That it happened? that it was done by Thai people? ot that it was reported?  What is the problem? 

The disrespect toward their hosts, shown by some expats living here, and many whose only connection to Thailand is that once got laid in Pattaya is incredible.

Well said.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The finding was published at the Astrophysical Journal where I ma sure it was written in a professional manner.  This is the take and translation of the prestigious Thaiger publication :laugh:

Imagine  , Farrant expats, making fun of Thais for an article published in a farang jurnal.  

Edited by sirineou

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not wishing to Thai-bash, but they have 'over egged' their announcements in the past which lends to a certain degree of cynicsim when they make such another self aggrandising grandiose announcement. 

[Thai astronomers have unravelled the mysteries of the universe]

I think this covers the response... 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Smart woman... She's probably just as embarrassed about the 'unravelled the mysteries of the universe' comment as we are entertained by it... 

It was of course the Thaiger who added that part and as with most stories here they are the source of inaccuracies, contradiction, conflicting information that lead to a lot of the bickering...    

... I'm starting the think the Thaiger deliberately writes their stories in this manner to deliberately create discussion which would be a very smart move, but I can't help thinking that any additional discussion from their flawed writing is purely a byproduct of their flaws rather than clever writing.

Had the artice instead wrote "well done Thai astronomers for their part in contributing to.......... " the response of most would be more favourable (obvious Thai bashers excluded of course).

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Totally agree. The article may come across as self-aggrandising tat, but those astronomers didn’t write it. There are some clever folk here and groups around the world (anyone actually) can have access to JWST. While amusing at times to poke at our hosts (they do it to us all the time), people go too far. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1