Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle

webfact

3 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

”100 pages" ? I've told you a million times before not to exaggerate. ! 😆

Seriously,there's not more than about 1 page of the main exclusions and motorcycle exclusion will be in there. 5 - 10 minutes reading tops. Fact is people don't read their policy at all. 

Sorry I meant 100 conditions of the insurance, one poster said there were 117, that would maybe take a very fast reader about 10 minutes, then another 30  trying to figure some of them out, and that's not an exaggeration.

It is a very mysterious thing when a person who plunged to her death tells the tale of the accident later, and turns up alive. Perhaps it was some sort of miracle, a Divine intervention, or a second coming? Is she a saint? Is she a cat with 9 lives? We can always depend of the Thaiger for clear, concise journalism!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Honda made the Click 160cc recently for no apparent reason. The bike is now too heavy for my wife to ride and it's too fast for my liking. I'm old so have no wish to tear about the place.  

Maybe they made it for younger and larger people?

Did she fall off the scooter and fall 20 metres? She should appeal the scooter vs motorbike decision. When I was a kid they had scooters that were 250cc....most Thai 'motorbikes' like Honda Wave of Click are/were 125cc. Honda made the Click 160cc recently for no apparent reason. The bike is now too heavy for my wife to ride and it's too fast for my liking. I'm old so have no wish to tear about the place.  

The Click 155i/160i were made in response to the loss of sales to the more powerful Yamaha Aerox.  5Kg should be negligible to a rider especially with it being slung so low in the frame?

Edited by Trip Hop

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Completely agree - there isn't a Thaiger article that isn't incomplete, inaccurate or not full of contradictory information. 

On another thread, someone suggested The Thaiger was like a Satire News site without the humour !!...

Usually, the inaccuracies are due to very poor translations from a Thai Article, re-written by Thai writers who clearly lack experience and QC skills... 

In this case the article is written by a lad called 'Bob Scott' who we may assume is a native English speaker, but clearly lacks QC skills to proof read his own work...  even something as basic as 'died vs didn't die' !!! 

Its not only the Thaiger news articles.  A hell of a lot of the news articles on here contain mistakes and inaccuracies - sometimes the mistakes are critical to understanding the article as with the above where a woman 'plunged almost 20m to her death' but then was seemingly resurrected and able to describe her dealings with the insurance company.

Either the proof readers are not competent in English or they are not proof read at all.

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

So if I rent a motorbike a good move is to see to it that it doesn't exceed 125cc?

A better move would be to simply read the policy conditions of your health insurance policy to see if there are any exclusions re injuries resulting from riding motorbikes (unlikely for a health insurance policy).

• Agree 1

It would be nice if they had a native English speaker review the copy before they post it. 

You should see the Pics they use of FB for headlines absolute nothing to do with the story most of the time

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

It would be nice if they had a native English speaker review the copy before they post it. 

Absolutely, that Thaiger News is a load of <deleted> 

Jesus, two words ("almost" and "plunged") were transposed, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Jesus, two words ("almost" and "plunged") were transposed, that's all.

Unfortunately Lou they make a habit of ballsing the news up.😁 

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have a current Travel Insurance Policy for an upcoming trip.... 

The Policy is 117 pages long...

Which insurer is it that issues policies that consist of "117 pages"?  117?

image.thumb.png.19c8696a885a0e385e75554bee54db0f.png

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But... you never know until something happens... and then on this forum we'll have people who state... You should have read and understood the policy !!!! 

If you can't understand what the policy covers you for, call the insurer or broker and ask for clarification of the specific point.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Very poorly written the first two Santa says to her death TIT

What's Santa got to do with it?   Did you mean 'sentences'?    Proof reading?

• Haha 2

Almost died in the report,did she have a bike driving license and international license.Insurance u must check what is covered motor and size.I think the size is a 125 engine,above that i don,t know.If insurance don,t pay then it must be no license or the engine size is above 125,but scooter is classed as a 150 or 160 these days.Take out insurance  check the fine details otherwise no cover.Also how did she fall

Edited by bristolgeoff

The bike is now too heavy for my wife to ride and it's too fast for my liking.

You know that thing on the right handlebar? Don't twist it so far. 🤔 As an aside quicker vehicles usually stop quicker as well.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But... you never know until something happens... and then on this forum we'll have people who state... You should have read and understood the policy !!!! 

If you can't understand what the policy covers you for, call the insurer or broker and ask for clarification of the specific point.

Hahaha... LL - thats quite ridiculous... Call the insurer to have a discussion to covering every eventuality... I know you always take the side of the 'Insurance' to such a degree I suspect you actually work in insurance such is your extent of 'brainwashing'....

That said.. I have done something similar in the past... (and have discussed this on this forum in the past).

With a previous insurer it took months to secure written clarification that the Policy covered me for skiing (injuries while on Piste Skiing)...   They remained extremely vague in all of their responses and hid behind the phrase 'dangerous activities'... 

In the end I did get specific wording, but it took about 3 months...  This was before I'd purchased the Policy and was 'shopping'....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

It is known insurance companies will do anything to not pay.

It is even better known that that claim is just b0llocks.  Around 90% of all insurance claims are paid out, no insurer wants the reputation of being a non-payer.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the insurance company classed it as a motorbike due to the engine size.

That's the way insurances screw policy holders. There is alway something to refer to it against policy and paying $0. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, JackGats said:

What's the deal with scooters/motorbikes accidents? I don't mean the semantics. I mean would insurances routinely reject claims if an accident is a motorbike accident? How can you be covered then?

You can do as I do and pay extra for motor bike coverage. You need a licence or be a passenger with a licenced driver, as well as wearing a helmet and being on a registered bike. If the woman did not have a bike licence, I cannot see how she expected to be covered.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Someone should face “loss of face” for this headline. The English language used here says the plunge resulted in her death.

Nothing in the headline stated, or even suggested that...

"Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle"

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'll do it; I'm an ex-Head of English with 39 years of correcting hazy expression/grammatical/spelling errors + I am cheap.

Don't sell yourself too cheaply Mike....tell them that this will increase readership if people are actually able to understand the English. The comprehension will engage people and make them stay on the forum for ages. Note the word 'engage' is a special management BS word that you drop into conversations of interviews to prepare for a 'big ask'.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I draft, read and review insurance policies for a living. So many out of date comments on here.

We don't know the circumstances of the accident so I can't comment on the claim but it should only be denied if she rode the bike over the cliff. If she got off the bike then the riding of the bike is not a contributory factor.

The UK has introduced consumer duty legislation, which means financial documents must now be drafted in a manner that is understandable by individuals buying them. If a claim is denied and the language is over-complicate, the client is permitted to make a formal complaint and this can end up with the insurance ombudsman. The onbudsman can force insurers to pay.

I'd like to see the 117 page travel policy as this would not comply with current legislation, unless it's not a UK policy. The Scottish girl involved in the accident obviously would have a UK policy and I would be happy to take a look to see if she is eligible to complain.

NB Insurance companies hate these complaints as it causes a lot of internal administration.

Expecting a feww LOL emojis but, believe me, the above is true, and I have spent hours adapting wordings to comply.

Seem's they're based in Ireland (+353 country dialling code)

Attached - the 117 page policy wording.

This is a policy I am carrying for an 11 day trip (coming up).

6.1) Travel Insurance Policy Wording.pdf

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1