Thailand in Crisis: Population plummets by 500k in 4 Years

webfact

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wonder how much of that is the best and brightest of Thai youth seeking opportunity in higher wage countries?

Not sure about 'best and brightest' but many Thais are excellent agriculture workers sought after in many countries around the world...

• Like 1

Just now, ezzra said:

Not sure about 'best and brightest' but many Thais are excellent agriculture workers sought after in many countries around the world...

Yes, them too.  Seems like every time there's a flashpoint around the world (Israel for example), we hear about all the Thai workers that are in harms way.  Leads me to suspect it's not a population problem in the biological sense, it's a retention issue.

• Like 2

Low birth rate, and the demographics it develops  is the biggest story of our lives, and would have extreme , negative consequences in the economics of every country in the world, even those with a high birth rate.   

I laugh when I read  the comments by some ,in opposition to immigration.

The strength of the US is that is a desirable immigration destination, that mitigates  the low birth rate.

Even illegal immigration , though undesirable from a legal point of view,  provides a benefit, not only in that it provides labor for jobs Americans, wont do, but also a low wage workforce, and since children  born in the US to illegal aliens become citizens , provide another mitigating factor to the US low birth rate. 

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Low birth rate, and the demographics it develops  is the biggest story of our lives, and would have extreme , negative consequences in the economics of every country in the world, even those with a high birth rate.   

I laugh when I read  the comments by some ,in opposition to immigration.

The strength of the US is that is a desirable immigration destination, that mitigates  the low birth rate.

Even illegal immigration , though undesirable from a legal point of view,  provides a benefit, not only in that it provides labor for jobs Americans, wont do, but also a low wage workforce, and since children  born in the US to illegal aliens become citizens , provide another mitigating factor to the US low birth rate. 

Millions illegally coming into ANY country is bad. No matter how much you love MSN or CNN. I love how bleeding hearts always think the ones coming illegally are ALWAYS coming to do LEGAL things....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

They make it ridiculously  difficult  enough with paperwork for the Burmese already and then you must name the work they can do and only for you.....why not just a single work permit for ANY job ANY employer......nah too  simple.

Thailand continues to live in the past, Thailand for Thais only.

All others are here by special appointment which can be canceled at any moment.

• Like 2
  • Love It 1

i dunno... while canada and other countries are opening their borders for skilled workers and immigrants with money, why is thailand still making it more and more difficult for foreigners to get permanent residency making us jump through hoops for idiotic visas that need a ton of paperwork and much time to get in the hopes of being able to stay here. Canada would just love to have the expats and their money move there.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just tio echo what spider mike said above, I also think it is a blessing. There are waaaay too many people on earth and a decline birth rate to bring the population down to sustainable levels is the way to go, it happens over a couple of generations and so is like a soft landing. At fault is the capitalist economic philosophy of pursuing growth at all costs, instead of pursuing growth in GDP per capita even with declining overall GDP. What we need is better living standards for fewer people.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Millions illegally coming into ANY country is bad. No matter how much you love MSN or CNN. I love how bleeding hearts always think the ones coming illegally are ALWAYS coming to do LEGAL things....

Not a liberal. Have study economies at the university level. 

I said  "though undesirable from a legal point of view, "

On an economic level they are a net gain. 

But I understand your fear that they might take away your fruit picking job and steal your women, they are after all  very attractive. and have a sexy accent. :laugh:

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

crime rate for illegals in the USA is less than the general population crime rate.

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

So when Somchai leaves Thailand to pick berries in Finland, how is he counted?

When you lived your country to work on a project in another country, how were you counted?

They are counted the same way. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the kingdom presently loses 100,000 people each year.

Probably a similar figure to the number of babies abandoned by Thai men at the 1st sign of Morning sickness.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

When you lived your country to work on a project in another country, how were you counted?

They are counted the same way. 

When I left the USA, I didn't fill out a census form, and so, I wasn't counted.

2 hours ago, Mbolo said:

I’ve been living/visiting for 50 years and I never once saw a census official . How do they make up these figures ? 

Just about very Thai citizen is registered in a house registration book and recorded in an amphur somewhere. Not too difficult to get a fairly good estimate based upon this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

crime rate for illegals in the USA is less than the general population crime rate.

First let me say that I am pro immigration. 

But I believe crime with in the Illegal community is probably the same as the general population,but by virtue of the status of the community , is under-reported from fear of deportation.  

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

First let me say that I am pro immigration. 

But I believe crime with in the Illegal community is probably the same as the general population,but by virtue of the status of the community , is under-reported from fear of deportation.  

You are referring to illegal-on-illegal crime?

You are probably correct that illegals who are crime victims probably don't report the crime in most cases.

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

did you walk across the border?

No, I flew out of LAX. No outgoing passport controls.

But zero passport controls walking across the border - outbound 

Edited by Danderman123

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

You are referring to illegal-on-illegal crime?

What are you referring?

Crime of i migrant on American citizens  as opposed to crime of  Americans citizens  on illegals?