And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

On 10/5/2024 at 6:28 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

Which is why I won't retire full time in Thailand.  It's nice to escape from a northern winter for 3-4 months but I don't want to be there all year.  Lived and worked in Bangkok for 12 years and that was enough.

4/5 months is the maximum for me. Then I get really bored. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, geisha said:

4/5 months is the maximum for me. Then I get really bored. 

I have a friend who every year came for a month in winter, his plan was to spend 6 months Thailand, 6 months UK. Thailand did his head in, he couldn't do it. Just shows Thailand isn't for everyone, always best to try first 

24 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I also would not like to live in Phuket. Chiang Mai is much more tolerable and has more to offer, so you can stay longer here.

The reason I find Chiang Mai is more tolerable is that people leave me alone more.

Unfortunately, On reflection, I think that's why I thought I liked Thailand so much when I lived here before. It was not Thailand I really liked or the people, rather it was living somewhere I could afford a nice lifestyle, but I was left alone most of the time except when I went into town (I lived in a detached villa at the time).

Sad to realize that after a good deal of reflection but it is what it is. I always wanted it to be Thailand I liked somewhere in the back of my mind, but it was really just financial and having a better lifestyle then in the USA.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

On 10/9/2024 at 1:27 AM, Will B Good said:

Thinking of doing something similar........4 months UK, 4 Thailand, 4 Philippines....life is too short.

Thats the program I'll be after. 4 months US, 4 months Khao Lak area maybe...., 4 months Philippines but not sure where. Going to check out Cebu and Northern Luzon early next year.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Thats the program I'll be after. 4 months US, 4 months Khao Lak area maybe...., 4 months Philippines but not sure where. Going to check out Cebu and Northern Luzon early next year.

Stayed at the Blue Water Lagoon resort on Cebu for two weeks.....very nice.....having said that it was 25 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Stayed at the Blue Water Lagoon resort on Cebu for two weeks.....very nice.....having said that it was 25 years ago.

Transport is very limited 

38 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You are kidding! I stayed there with my Filipina! 

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

You are kidding! I stayed there with my Filipina! 

OMG.....hope it wasn't the same one.....!!!

I'm guessing this was around 2003/2004.

Funnily enough she got in touch with me last year after all this time.....now living in the US.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

OMG.....hope it wasn't the same one.....!!!

I'm guessing this was around 2003/2004.

Funnily enough she got in touch with me last year after all this time.....now living in the US.

Probably not, this was 8 years ago. We went to Bantayan afterwards. She was texting another guy secretly after her bedroom happiness, I later found out. After that holiday she waited for 2 weeks then went on another 3 week fornication holiday and didn't tell me about it. The only women that ever played me like this. To this day I will never trust a Filipina again. 

Edited by Cameroni
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cameroni said:

Probably not, this was 8 years ago. We went to Bantayan afterwards. She was texting another guy secretly after her bedroom happiness, I later found out. After that holiday she waited to 2 weeks then went on another 3 week fornication holiday and didn't tell me about it. The only women that ever played me like this. To this day I will never trust a Filipina again. 

We went onto HK for another two weeks where my brother lived.....then that was it for me.....I did feel rather guilty......she was very young and pretty.....just the wrong time for anything more than a bit of fun.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:24 AM, kevozman1 said:

I would say more like Monaco or Switzerland if you're talking really rich. Or an exclusive Island somewhere. Thailand is still a nice spot. Not that many tropical areas that are relatively safe and I have known quite a lot of expats that have done very well for themselves. Maybe not Swiss villa looking onto the alps type of guys, but still. 

I'm assuming we are talking about winning Lotto or suchlike as any actually rich person is unlikely to post on here. The problem with moving to some place the rich hang out is that one has to associate with rich people, and I'd rather cut them off with a rusty razor blade than that.

Thailand would suit me just fine on some off the tourist trail beach. Than Sadet would be the cheese.

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We went onto HK for another two weeks where my brother lived.....then that was it for me.....I did feel rather guilty......she was very young and pretty.....just the wrong time for anything more than a bit of fun.

You really should not, you dodged a bullet. She probably had a guy lined up 2 weeks after your HK holiday as well. Great decision. I sank 200000 USD into that lying manhole. Paid for her sister's surgery, her father's funeral, her laptop, her bills, handbag, iPhone, etc etc, she demanded 60000 pesos allowance at one point. Then wrote her ex behind my back in my bedroom on the iPhone I got her. Filipinas were sent from God to punish us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Probably not, this was 8 years ago. We went to Bantayan afterwards. She was texting another guy secretly after her bedroom happiness, I later found out. After that holiday she waited for 2 weeks then went on another 3 week fornication holiday and didn't tell me about it. The only women that ever played me like this. To this day I will never trust a Filipina again. 

You imagine that Filipinas are the only women that will play away?

Given the number of men on here that boast about how they play away, why should women miss out on the fun? The only answer is not to form an attachment to them, and when they start to think they are in charge they can find themselves locked out.

Just now, Cameroni said:

You really should not, you dodged a bullet. She probably had a guy lined up 2 weeks after your HK holiday as well. Great decision. I sank 200000 USD into that lying manhole. Paid for her sister's surgery, her father's funeral, her laptop, her bills, handbag, iPhone, etc etc, she demanded 60000 pesos allowance at one point. Then wrote her ex behind my back in my bedroom on the iPhone I got her. Filipinas were sent from God to punish us. 

OMG...nightmare.....my girl probably realised from the off I was a Cheap Charlie......the only thing she asked for was a pair of Sketchers.......lucky me!!!!

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You imagine that Filipinas are the only women that will play away?

Given the number of men on here that boast about how they play away, why should women miss out on the fun? The only answer is not to form an attachment to them, and when they start to think they are in charge they can find themselves locked out.

Filipinas are on another level regarding serial dating. The poverty turns them into immoral vampires. Never again. 

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

OMG...nightmare.....my girl probably realised from the off I was a Cheap Charlie......the only thing she asked for was a pair of Sketchers.......lucky me!!!!

My God, you were so lucky, because she was so young. Mine was old already, 24 when we met. She'd tasted the rainbow before. Plus I was very stupid then. 

Edited by Cameroni
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

My God, you were so lucky, because she was so young. Mine was old already, 24 when we met. She'd tasted the rainbow before. Plus I was very stupid then. 

We live and learn.....I did get kind of scammed after this.....ended up with a bar and handbag shop (fakes) on Soi Buakhao being run by a gf....dread to think how money disappeared into them.

18 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I sank 200000 USD into that lying manhole. Paid for her sister's surgery, her father's funeral, her laptop, her bills, handbag, iPhone, etc etc, she demanded 60000 pesos allowance at one point

15 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Mine was old already, 24 when we met. She'd tasted the rainbow before. Plus I was very stupid then. 

Aren't you the poster who has the thread up about a 24 year old "beautiful" girlfriend who is not affectionate, and gave you an STD she contracted from a previous Ukrainian boyfriend. 

Maybe someday you will learn. 

10 minutes ago, marin said:

Aren't you the poster who has the thread up about a 24 year old "beautiful" girlfriend who is not affectionate, and gave you an STD she contracted from a previous Ukrainian boyfriend. 

Maybe someday you will learn. 

I'll take herpes over a Filipina any day. 

28 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We live and learn.....I did get kind of scammed after this.....ended up with a bar and handbag shop (fakes) on Soi Buakhao being run by a gf....dread to think how money disappeared into them.

Indeed. I dread to think of the money I spent on this Filipina too. I also financed her mom's handbag store for a while. Of course it folded anyway. Now she sponges off a Filipino sailor. I almost wrote to the guy to warn him what a cheating ho he married, but thought the better of it. 

Edited by Cameroni
  • Haha 1

Neither Phuket nor Pattaya have ever been an option in my mind. 

Now Koh Phangan --  take me back there please. the two months a year I live there are a cruel tease.  The rest of the year based in Bangkok is fine, but Id like more nature time and hills to climb on the bike.

Edited by madone

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm assuming we are talking about winning Lotto or suchlike as any actually rich person is unlikely to post on here. The problem with moving to some place the rich hang out is that one has to associate with rich people, and I'd rather cut them off with a rusty razor blade than that.

You become who you associate with. If you don't like being around rich people you are probably not rich or will ever be.

One of the cardinal rules of financial success for most people is to not associate with the down and out. Surround youself with success and the energy of that eventually penetrates you. A lot of it is mindset.

That's why internships at successful firms are so valued. It's about being around success, not just knowledge or skill. You can have all the skills it takes, but it you're not absorbing the energy from a successful environment you can't make it work somehow. Nobody really knows why or how it works, but it does.

It works in reverse also. If you're around the down and out it eventually drags you down.

There are rare exceptions where being in the opposite circumstance makes people stronger, but for the majority the above rule applies.

That's what is behind a lot of Tony Robbins stuff. He serves as that super successful person people can latch onto as a role model. What he is actually saying is secondary in my opinion.

Edited by JimTripper