Australian governor-general to visit Thailand, strengthening ties

webfact

image.jpeg

The longstanding ties between Thailand and Australia are set to be celebrated as Governor-General of Australia David John Hurley prepares for a visit to Thailand from February 13 to 17.

The visit, as reported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, promises to be a significant event in the annals of both nations.

The itinerary of the visit includes a royal audience with His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua and Her Majesty Queen Suthida Bajrasudhabimalalakshana. This encounter is eagerly anticipated as David John Hurley and the King share a unique bond, having been classmates at the Royal Military College, Duntroon, from 1972 to 1975. This personal connection is seen as a reflection of the deep-rooted friendship between the two nations.

“Australia is proud of our close relationship with Thailand. It is a friendship that spans many areas of cooperation and is based on mutual respect, trust and understanding. I am looking forward to celebrating and strengthening that relationship.”

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The longstanding ties between Thailand and Australia are set to be celebrated as Governor-General of Australia David John Hurley prepares for a visit to Thailand from February 13 to 17.

The visit, as reported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, promises to be a significant event in the annals of both nations.

The itinerary of the visit includes a royal audience with His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua and Her Majesty Queen Suthida Bajrasudhabimalalakshana. This encounter is eagerly anticipated as David John Hurley and the King share a unique bond, having been classmates at the Royal Military College, Duntroon, from 1972 to 1975. This personal connection is seen as a reflection of the deep-rooted friendship between the two nations.

“Australia is proud of our close relationship with Thailand. It is a friendship that spans many areas of cooperation and is based on mutual respect, trust and understanding. I am looking forward to celebrating and strengthening that relationship.”

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

How old is the photo?

How many of the people in the photo are still appointed to any gov't agency /official relevant position?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I wonder if the Australian Governor-General will mention their purchase of up to five Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines from the United States to be delivered in the 2030s.

The relevance being?

• Agree 1

Good news the two countries are buddies . Perhaps they will make a bilateral international social agreement between Australia and Thailand which would make it possible for many people with pension points in Australia to be paid out while living in Thailand.

At the present time the Australians refuse to pay up unless you go and live in Australia for two years.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Good news the two countries are buddies . Perhaps they will make a bilateral international social agreement between Australia and Thailand which would make it possible for many people with pension points in Australia to be paid out while living in Thailand.

At the present time the Australians refuse to pay up unless you go and live in Australia for two years.

Nice try, but:

- I really doubt that Australia will change such key policies, and

- I really doubt that Thailand is interested in pursuing such change. 

23 hours ago, jippytum said:

Years ago most of the fruit and veg in big C Extra was from Australia now all from China.

Years ago most of the fruit and veg in Aus supermarkets was from Australia now all from China !.

That is an old photo. Julie Bishop (2nd from Right) was Minister for Foreign Affairs from 2013-18 & Marise Payne (4th from Right) took over from 2018-22. Penny Wong is the current one. All they had to do was Google - this is the first image that came up.

image.png.7751f054dfe9f452f3898de3752b8db8.png

But really, with the current housing & rental crisis in Australia & exhorbitant rents, allowing "former" resident pensioners to retire gracefully (hopefully not otherwise) in Thailand like pensioners from many other countries would benefit both countries. Then again, stupid regulations are sometimes the hardest to change. After all, the Dept of Social Services is responsible for the Robodebt debacle that went from 2016 to 2020 even though the Dept & Govt knew it to be illegal & with 470,000 wrongly-issued debts which had to be repaid in full. And who was held accountable - not one politician. Only a few public servants. 

So no, there will be no change, & Chinese vegetables will continue to fill the supermarkets of both countries. But maybe Australia could sell Thailand some of their old submarines, soon to be replaced under the AU$368billion AUKUS agreement (1st subs available 2040 - maybe).

This may help recover some of the AU$2.4billion it cost to break the submarine deal with France. Emmanuel Macron famously said when asked if he thought the then Prime Minister Scott Morrison had lied to him (Macron) replied "I don't think, I know."

So no, no ex-Australian submarines for Thailand either.

Think that covers about all the threads in the above comments. :-)

An odd combination. A relic of Australian colonial days (I mean the office of Governor General, not the guy himself, lol) visits a country so very proud of its history as the only nation in SE Asia never to have been colonised by the evil Europeans. (Well, apart from the Japanese in December 1941, of course, but that's OK as the Thai government "invited" them to stay and have a pleasant visit, so it wasn't an invasion at all. Honest!)

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Nice try, but:

- I really doubt that Australia will change such key policies, and

- I really doubt that Thailand is interested in pursuing such change. 

Australia is more than happy to rob the individuals that have paid into a pension system and deny there payments?

There key policy is to deny payment illegally .

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, itsari said:

Australia is more than happy to rob the individuals that have paid into a pension system and deny there payments?

Who ever thought my comment on the morality of the Australian government as something to laugh about says much about Australians assuming the amused individual was Australian of course 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

That's your opinion, not everybody sees it exactly like that.

I say again, I rather doubt Thailand would want to get into that discussion in any way. 

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

That's your opinion, not everybody sees it exactly like that.

I say again, I rather doubt Thailand would want to get into that discussion in any way. 

Many are being denied payment, not just myself.No other western country denies payment in the way Australia does.

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Many are being denied payment, not just myself.No other western country denies payment in the way Australia does.

Got your point but it's a different point and I say again, Thailand is very unlikely to want to engage Australia in discussions / changing legislation etc., about this subject.

Why would thay? Thailand should be focused directly on matters directly affecting the Thai populave, not the OAP for Australians. 

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Got your point but it's a different point and I say again, Thailand is very unlikely to want to engage Australia in discussions / changing legislation etc., about this subject.

Why would thay? Thailand should be focused directly on matters directly affecting the Thai populave, not the OAP for Australians. 

Many Thai citizens that have worked in Australia would benefit from a social agreement as well.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, Pattaya57 said:

As a class mate of the King, I hope the Governor-General asks a favour to have Aussies get a 90 day visa exempt like the Russkies get 😀

Glad they listened to me 😀

Found a random source but it's in the other papers we're not allowed to quote as well.

"Thailand and Australia have agreed to consider the possibility of introducing a mutual visa exemption scheme for travel and business activities between the people of both nations."

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/thailand-australia-to-consider-visa-waivers-4711664.html

Edited by Pattaya57

On 2/11/2024 at 8:16 PM, itsari said:

Ummmm your next door neighbour isn't  far off what you're saying. 

NZ Government Super (pension) is paid out if you reside in NZ.  But if you are out of the country more than 26 weeks then look out. 

Either it will drop significantly or stop completely. 

And they will hound you if you are 'over paid' that is if you have received pension after the 26 weeks that you weren't 'entitled' to. 

Military pensions aren't so archaic... and continue to be paid regardless of where you live. 

12 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Ummmm your next door neighbour isn't  far off what you're saying. 

NZ Government Super (pension) is paid out if you reside in NZ.  But if you are out of the country more than 26 weeks then look out. 

Either it will drop significantly or stop completely. 

And they will hound you if you are 'over paid' that is if you have received pension after the 26 weeks that you weren't 'entitled' to. 

Military pensions aren't so archaic... and continue to be paid regardless of where you live. 

New Zealand and Australia need to realise that there policy on portability of  pensions is illegal. It's about having had money taken from you and then find some excuse not to pay up.

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, itsari said:

New Zealand and Australia need to realise that there policy on portability of  pensions is illegal. It's about having had money taken from you and then find some excuse not to pay up.

And similarly UK citizens have their pensions limited, ie frozen, purely because they live overseas, but very much depending where. That had been declared 'legal' in UK courts.

Isn't the unelected Governor General simply the UK Kings representative in Oz as a commonwealth country?  It sounds like many expect him to have influence beyond his remit. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And similarly UK citizens have their pensions limited, ie frozen, purely because they live overseas, but very much depending where. That had been declared 'legal' in UK courts.

Isn't the unelected Governor General simply the UK Kings representative in Oz as a commonwealth country?  It sounds like many expect him to have influence beyond his remit. 

It was the European Court of Human Rights that declared freezing UK pensions as being legal.

The Governor general can not make decisions yet has influence .

• Thanks 1