Cost of living in Isaan/Buriram in 2024?

PingRoundTheWorld

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

She is also getting money from her daughter's father (ex) who lives in Australia, but he's post-accident and can barely function which is why they broke up. I don't think she has other ATMs - why would she need them when she's sucking me dry? lol.

She is not western - she is Thai, and they live like Thai.

Yep- that's what I thought. She doesn't even have to pay rent (her mom owns the house).

I actually told her that- average person in Thailand makes maybe 15k a month, why do you need 50k and that's still not enough... no response. Because she doesn't need it.

1. She is a glorified prostitute, as most single moms are. Sad, but true. 2. Those aren't MY daughters. If their dads want to put up the money for private school and expensive vacations be my guest - not my responsibility.

Yeah I've been wonder if it's this, or she's actually saving most of the money away. I suspect it's the latter though since the amounts I've been giving her cannot be spent on normal cost of living unless she's been gambling or otherwise throwing it away.

That's the crazy part- one kid is full Thai so I doubt the father helps, but the other is half-Aussie so gets money from the father. What I give her is on top of that!

So she gets maybe 70 to 100k at the moment. Great life. She could live in a nice hotel and eat out every night.

Just now, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I rent condos in both Bangkok and Pattaya and alternate. I like Bangkok more, but realistically nightlife is better in Pattaya.

I'm confused. You move between 2 cities, hire other women but still pay this old one? 

Just now, PingRoundTheWorld said:

......yep.

I know- crazy. Exactly why I'm questioning this.

Do you have too much money or just emotionally attached? Give me some and we can talk business, politics and sport, no sex though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, uttradit said:

Do you have too much money or just emotionally attached? Give me some and we can talk business, politics and sport, no sex though.

Haha. It's more of a Covid-era thing where I needed the emotional support, and it went downhill from there. I sort of view her as a lucky charm - as soon as I met her I got a 20% salary hike and another 7% soon after. I also got RSUs that are now worth enough to probably set me for life. I guess I kind of associate her in my mind with that success but really it's just dumb luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

50K in Isaarn is way over the top for a normal Thai family.

Simple as that.

It's gambling, drugs, or she has someone on the side bleeding her.

My other half gets 15K pocket money and I take care of all bills and expenses, it's enough, otherwise they find uses for your money that gets them into silly situations and trouble.

• Agree 1

Op, Get out now.

your being ripped off.

Next step, she will inform you she is pregnant or a sick buffalo or family member story to trap you even more.

But this is Thailand, so up to you. 

Good luck.

image.jpeg

Edited by quake

On 2/12/2024 at 9:55 AM, Henryford said:

So what advice are you looking for? You already know 50k is insane and you are being taken for a ride. Either accept it or dump her.

Absolutely. You say don't want moral judgements but what do you expect?

This woman has no morals as far as you're concerned. You're being used for cash and the chances are her friends and family are tapping into it.

People can sugar coat it as they often do here but the reality is this is not normal. There are 1000s of nice women here that won't treat you this way. 1500 a day is a fortune by their standards. 

In my opinion, from what you've told us, she doesn't deserve another penny or minute from you. 

Get rid of her and give yourself time to enjoy life a bit. Sounds like you're financially set so have a bit of fun and if you are decided upon paying to be taken care of go see what you'll get for that much elsewhere.

Trust me, there's lots to be had for 1500 a day here, and I'm not talking solely about the seedy side.

• Confused 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:19 PM, proton said:

Run Forest run!

Dans channel has stacks of amusing, mugs sponsoring Thai girl stories. He lives in Buriram

I know guys get taken advantage of all the time, but some of the stories Dan does just read like Penthouse Stories. I find most of them very hard to believe. Are there guys really that dumb?

I live in Korat provence, wife and two young kids. No debt and the monthly spend is around 20k baht.

Sometimes I shell out a little extra but as for pocket money, no chance.

The whole salary concept eludes me.

• Thanks 1

I was recently talking to a Thai girl I know here in NY. She is originally from Chang Mai. When I told her that I think my wife and I will be able to retire in the wife's village in Udon Thani on 70,000 a month (we already built a villa and would also like to lease a condo in the city) she told me 70,000 is extravagant and we would live like royalty.

(neither this friend nor my wife were ever "working girls")

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

It's gambling, drugs, or she has someone on the side bleeding her.

My other half gets 15K pocket money and I take care of all bills and expenses, it's enough, otherwise they find uses for your money that gets them into silly situations and trouble.

Yeah I suspect it's someone bleeding her. Family member(s) most likely. I asked her not to give anyone other than her mom and daughters money but I'm sure she does anyway. I asked her to prepare a list of her expenses so I can understand how it's possible, we'll see how far that goes...

18 hours ago, quake said:

Next step, she will inform you she is pregnant or a sick buffalo or family member story to trap you even more.

A bit late for that, lol. She doesn't need a sob story - she's already bleeding me dry. Can't get pregnant so that angle's covered.

3 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

You're being used for cash and the chances are her friends and family are tapping into it.

That's what I'm thinking. They know she has a walking ATM and they're taking advantage of it.

3 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

Get rid of her and give yourself time to enjoy life a bit. Sounds like you're financially set so have a bit of fun and if you are decided upon paying to be taken care of go see what you'll get for that much elsewhere.

Yeah, I don't really want a girlfriend at this point and don't need anyone to take care of me, so next one will definitely be the non-paid kind (at least not directly, you always pay in some way lol).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Yeah I suspect it's someone bleeding her. Family member(s) most likely. I asked her not to give anyone other than her mom and daughters money but I'm sure she does anyway. I asked her to prepare a list of her expenses so I can understand how it's possible, we'll see how far that goes...

A bit late for that, lol. She doesn't need a sob story - she's already bleeding me dry. Can't get pregnant so that angle's covered.

That's what I'm thinking. They know she has a walking ATM and they're taking advantage of it.

Yeah, I don't really want a girlfriend at this point and don't need anyone to take care of me, so next one will definitely be the non-paid kind (at least not directly, you always pay in some way lol).

Family and extended family are the worst for busybodies, and also for coming up with get rich quick schemes that they want somebody else to fund.

In this case......YOU!

You have to be tough as old boots to take on the piranha pack!........ Fortunately, mine is!

On 2/12/2024 at 4:46 AM, CharlieH said:

I live just up the road. That amount is insane.

Why it that? Don't they have shopping malls, restaurants and Mercedes dealerships in Is Buriram? Oh, and gambling dens 😉

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why it that? Don't they have shopping malls, restaurants and Mercedes dealerships in Is Buriram? Oh, and gambling dens 😉

Shopping Mall is Lotus, restaurant is a noodle stall and Mercedes is only on TV around here 😀

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You do always pay mate. Glad to see you've seen the light.

You can have a great time here without women. Give yourself a break from them.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:31 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Am I crazy to assume there's no possible way a family in a village in isaan spends +50k baht a month??

Mistaken absolutely. 

You misunderstand the ability of some people to spend vast amounts of money, specially if it is not theirs.

the question should have been “What is a reasonable family expenditure” the answer to that in a reasonably comfortable style is probably in the 10,000~15,000 range but that very much depends on the size of the family and other factors.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 2/13/2024 at 8:40 PM, Will B Good said:

50k per month in an Isaan viallage.....not even in a month of Sundays.

That is completely dependent on the people.

it can be 3,000 per month SWMBO’s mum.

our spending is about 90,000 per month for 2 people. We are in an Isaan village as is SWMBO’s mum. YMMV

43 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is completely dependent on the people.

it can be 3,000 per month SWMBO’s mum.

our spending is about 90,000 per month for 2 people. We are in an Isaan village as is SWMBO’s mum. YMMV

???

Our fixed monthly outgoings.............. water B60, electricity B1,800, phones and internet B1600.......beer B1800......car insurance and tax B1200, fuel B1000......total less than B10,000.......you must be living the high life.

51 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

???

Our fixed monthly outgoings.............. water B60, electricity B1,800, phones and internet B1600.......beer B1800......car insurance and tax B1200, fuel B1000......total less than B10,000.......you must be living the high life.

Immigration ask for proof of 40k a month for a married man to get an extension.

That's a figure that is easily doable.

Your figure doesn't include food or going out.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Immigration ask for proof of 40k a month for a married man to get an extension.

That's a figure that is easily doable.

Your figure doesn't include food or going out.

40k a month?.....never heard  of that....I have to have 400k for 60 days before applying.....and i don't have to spend what ever immigration demand.

Food and going out are not fixed outgoings???

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

40k a month?.....never heard  of that....I have to have 400k for 60 days before applying.....and i don't have to spend what ever immigration demand.

Food and going out are not fixed outgoings???

40k Thai baht a month if you don't want to deposit 400k.

Immigration don't demand one spends that. It's a figure they believe sustainable.

This thread is "cost of living". Not "fixed outgoings". 

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

???

Not at all, our electricity is at about 7,000 and we do include everything 

phone and internet (2 phones and fibre)

village festivals (including funerals and weddings)

garden spending (well worth the 1,000 a month)

car costs (newish Mazda and old perfect condition pickup) including fuel

animal care

House sundries; this is a big one as we employ family to assist and of course we pay for materials this is 15~20k

so about 45k excluding pocket money.

our own spending money at about 18k each

insurance about 12k a month 

beer maybe 500 every few months, though I probably get through about a bottle of Pastis  ever couple of months 

so high life? Not remotely. Comfortable and we spend less than we get and can afford almost anything we want, absolutely 

Do tell what is the high life? I am serious as I really don’t know what I should be doing that I’m not.

As the OP said - it`s her job , so she is trying to improve her lot by  getting as much money as possible out of her sponsor . As far as she knows , her bf might be an internet billionaire , so keep on asking until she gets a refusal .

My impression is that in Thai culture , the man is supposed to give most of his income to support his familly . If she finds out the OP is not doing this , she`s going to be pi**ed off , regardless of how much she is actually getting .

• Haha 1