Suvarnabhumi Airport Boosts Capacity with New Runway

snoop1130

ecd12adab927ab5ef9063106fc465341.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit has revealed that Suvarnabhumi Airport's operational capacity is expecting a significant increase with the anticipated completion of its third runway in July. 

According to Suriya, the expansion is expected to elevate the airport's flight handling capacity from 67 flights per hour to 94, a crucial step towards bolstering Thailand's status as a key aviation hub in the region. The third runway, located to the east of the current runways, will come with its own passenger terminal and other airport facilities.

In line with efforts to upgrade its facilities and services, the airport recently celebrated the opening of the Satellite 1 (SAT-1) passenger terminal. This development has already started to show positive outcomes, with 13 airlines currently operating from the new building.

The introduction of the SAT-1 terminal has significantly contributed to the increase in flight operations at Suvarnabhumi, with the daily number of flights serviced by the new terminal rising to 86. Officials said this figure is projected to climb to 112 flights per day by the end of the month, highlighting the successful integration of the new facility into the airport's overall operations.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Full story: NNT 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

The third runway, located to the east of the current runways, will come with its own passenger terminal and other airport facilities.

We came in on a flight with Qatar last week, on the evening of February 5th and must have been dropped off there, as we then had to get the new subway to the main terminal building to clear immigration and collect our bags.

We couldn't see very much except the subway train due to giant hoardings around the place.

Immigration was quite easy, we arrived at this terminal, took the subway to main terminal, collected bags, cleared immigration and were sat in the taxi from Suvarnabhumi to DMK within 55 minutes.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

We came in on a flight with Qatar last week, on the evening of February 5th and must have been dropped off there, as we then had to get the new subway to the main terminal building to clear immigration and collect our bags.

We couldn't see very much except the subway train due to giant hoardings around the place.

Immigration was quite easy, we arrived at this terminal, took the subway to main terminal, collected bags, cleared immigration and were sat in the taxi from Suvarnabhumi to DMK within 55 minutes.

That would imply there are no immigration facilities at the new terminal; that you still have to clear immigration at the main terminal. 

Immigration time varies with your arrival time. I usually arrive from the Philippines around 5pm; no sweat. But last year my flight on PAL, needless to say, was delayed 5 hours, meaning we arrived along with many flights from Europe. It took one and a half hours just to clear immigration. Incidentally, as a 77 year old, standing around for that length of time is no joke. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

That would imply there are no immigration facilities at the new terminal; that you still have to clear immigration at the main terminal. 

Immigration time varies with your arrival time. I usually arrive from the Philippines around 5pm; no sweat. But last year my flight on PAL, needless to say, was delayed 5 hours, meaning we arrived along with many flights from Europe. It took one and a half hours just to clear immigration. Incidentally, as a 77 year old, standing around for that length of time is no joke. 

Hi,

There were definitely no immigration facilities there as the building is not completed. We arrived early evening.

You are aware that there is a designated lane for the elderly, monks, disabled in the main terminal for you, and me as it happens, as I have a registered disability.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Hi,

There were definitely no immigration facilities there as the building is not completed. We arrived early evening.

You are aware that there is a designated lane for the elderly, monks, disabled in the main terminal for you, and me as it happens, as I have a registered disability.

I was just standing one time leaning on a walking stick and got called over to the VIP counter.

Welcome to BKK, as you exit our new airport terminal, take time to observe the history displayed on the way, in front of the ramp for example, you will see a full size memorial to how immigration was done in the 20th century...   oh wait.. 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As long as they match the extra capacity with staffing levels.

"the expansion is expected to elevate the airport's flight handling capacity from 67 flights per hour to 94, a crucial step towards bolstering Thailand's status as a key aviation hub in the region." (my bold)

If many of the passengers originate from Thailand (especially Thai citizens) or ASEAN country citizens versus Non-ASEAN countries, immigration may not be as impacted as from arrivals beyond ASEAN countries. Airport authorities should already know what passengers to expect as participating airlines must in advance purchase "gates" and identify flight departures & arrivals.

5 hours ago, Older and Wiser said:

Over 70? Why don't you take the priority lane? Or did you ?

The amount of daily flights doesn't make sense, In Sacramento we have 150 daily flights, its a small/medium size airport.

A few years ago I would even have called it podunk.

Are they thinking peak hourly traffic? The TAT/AOT seem to get their numbers wrong alot. 

The area to the east of the existing second runway is the RTAF parking and operations ramp and buildings. Beyond that is housing. If this third runway is scheduled for completion in July it must be under construction now. So where is it exactly?

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Flights are only between 112 a day 06.00 till 24.00 that's only 10 flights an hour, when you compare that to Heathrow's 650 landings a day it makes a mockery of BKK airport.

Oh dear, too quick to make a mockery and in fact you ended up making a mockery of yourself. Slow down before you bash next time and use a bit of common sense and read carefully. I assume you have actually been to Suvarnabhumi? Yet you believe it handles ten flights per hour? One landing and one take off every 12 minutes??

The article clearly states the new runway will increase capacity to 94 flights per hour. Heathrow handles around 72 per hour (combined take offs and landings): 1,300 flight movements per day / 18 hours per day it operates = 72 flights per hour. So BKK makes a mockery of Heathrow - and it does, in many ways.

The newly opened SAT-1 concourse will handle 112 flights per day - that is not the entire airport, just a small addition to the main terminal.

Edited by josephbloggs

2 hours ago, Khyron said:

The amount of daily flights doesn't make sense, In Sacramento we have 150 daily flights, its a small/medium size airport.

A few years ago I would even have called it podunk.

Are they thinking peak hourly traffic? The TAT/AOT seem to get their numbers wrong alot. 

They are talking about the new terminal that is only partially opened. It's currently accepting a small amount of flights and this will be increased by the end of the month, but the terminal will not be fully opened even at the end of the month so it cannot be used at full capacity.

18 minutes ago, superal said:

Dedicate the new runway / terminal to the Chinese and Russians ? That would be popular 

Surely India would be the next major destination to cater for considering it's the most populous nation? 

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Flights are only between 112 a day 06.00 till 24.00 that's only 10 flights an hour, when you compare that to Heathrow's 650 landings a day it makes a mockery of BKK airport.

And remember Heathrow is closed between 11pm and 6am

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

And remember Heathrow is closed between 11pm and 6am

Also remember the person you are replying to can't read. BKK will have a higher flight density capacity than Heathrow.