British fraudster swaps UK for Thailand, leaves cops scratching heads

webfact

image.jpeg

A British fraudster swapped one resort town in England for another in Thailand to escape being charged with issuing fake driving licences in the UK, leaving the authorities puzzled about his whereabouts for over three years.

Leon Childs, from Southend, found himself embroiled in a web of deceit when Paul Ridden, a 70 year old, allegedly confessed to peddling counterfeit driving licences for £1,500 each over a decade.

Uncovering damning evidence during a search of Ridden’s abode, investigators stumbled upon a trove of incriminating materials: a transparent folder concealed beneath a bed containing eight bogus licence applications, and a notebook cataloguing clients’ names. Among them was Childs, operating under the alias James Luck.

While Ridden admitted to his illicit activities spanning ten years, legal charges against him related specifically to actions since 2017. Found guilty of multiple offences including conspiracy to commit fraud and possession of criminal proceeds, Ridden faced the gavel of Ipswich Crown Court on February 9th, receiving a 15-month prison sentence.

The 36 year old Childs, faced similar charges but eluded justice by absconding to Thailand in 2021, evading apprehension ever since. The court refrained from sentencing him in absentia.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of Essex police

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A British fraudster swapped one resort town in England for another in Thailand to escape being charged with issuing fake driving licences in the UK, leaving the authorities puzzled about his whereabouts for over three years

The digital age really doesn't help much in tracing peoples cross-border movements.

22 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

In the absence of an official ID card, a driving licence is accepted photo ID in the UK for all kinds of purposes. 

Since a driving licence is very easy to obtain for very considerably less than £1500,  the only reason someone would  pay that much money is presumably criminal purposes. 

They pay for the change of name with proof, it's not about getting a driving license which requires proof of id 🙄

25 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They pay for the change of name with proof, it's not about getting a driving license which requires proof of id 🙄

Sorry, I haven't had my morning coffee yet - could you explain that more clearly?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Leon Childs, from Southend, found himself embroiled in a web of deceit when Paul Ridden, a 70 year old, allegedly confessed to peddling counterfeit driving licences for £1,500 each over a decade.

£1,500?

For that money, they could probably hop a flight and spend a week on Khao San Road and get a holiday, and a rub and a tug with their fake DL.

Of course, I doubt anyone needing a fake £1,500 license has a passport that would make it through airport security and immigration.

Edit:  Do the Khao San Rd vendors do online sales?  Something for an entrepreneurial type to think about...

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Sorry, I haven't had my morning coffee yet - could you explain that more clearly?

To obtain a driving licence you must provide proof such as previous licence, birth certificate, passports etc.

Having a ready-made fake driving licence with fake name, means where a driving licence is accepted as proof of ID, (most places) is that you have already done the above process.

It can enable the crook to get further IDs, open bank accounts under the new name etc, then you can move on to other false documents, and create a new persona.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

Facebook has dozens of adverts for Thai  driving licenses without taking the test.The government are trying to close them but Facebook seem to tolerate scammers . Perhaps this guy has opened a franchise for his business in Thailand .

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A British fraudster swapped one resort town in England for another in Thailand to escape being charged with issuing fake driving licences in the UK, leaving the authorities puzzled about his whereabouts for over three years.

So technically he is innocent as not charged nor convicted. I read the Thaiger and the AN story but could not see any mention of him being arrested in Thailand or facing extradition. Nor his visa status in Thailand. Did I miss something? Or can he continue to reside in The Land of Smiles?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drumbuie said:

Since a driving licence is very easy to obtain for very considerably less than £1500,  the only reason someone would  pay that much money is presumably criminal purposes. 

It's not 'Easy' to obtain, and proper driving lessons costs can be more than 1500 GBP aseptically if you keep failing. Average price UK for lessons is 35GBP an average of 45 lessons are needed 1575GBP, plus on average 20hr extra driving experience.

Using your own car with L plates and a licensed driver just won't work, Many years ago the test was quite simple and traffic a lot less.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

eluded justice by absconding to Thailand in 2021, evading apprehension ever since.

So still on the run? no mention of an arrest, and he hasn't been sentenced yet either. 

What's his membership name on AN ? Essex Boy?

For £1,500 you could come to Thailand have a bang or two get a license under the table and use it back home for at least a year if not longer . In the past year you see open corruption on FB and other social media advertising That car and bike licences without having to turn up to the transport office and yet nothing seems to be done about it ! 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably the customers knew what they were buying so is it really fraud?

I had full driving licenses, car, PSV, HGV in the UK for over 40 years. No accidents. With the exception of health reasons which I don't have at present, if I went back to the UK and wanted a driving license and they  started making things difficult for me I would pay the £1,500 for it as it would be a victimless crime, and I have proven my driving abilities.

Today in Thailand, if it was being made hard for me to renew my motorbike license, I would not hesitate to pay "under the table" for one as I have proven my ability to handle a motorbike with over 17 years of riding experience with no accidents.

5 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

In the absence of an official ID card, a driving licence is accepted photo ID in the UK for all kinds of purposes. 

What is the average cost of someone starting afresh to get a driving license in the UK? I may be wrong, but taking everything into account. I think it could cost a bit more than £1,500. 

Unless someone @ dvla was assisting the fake driving licence surely could only be used for basic I'd.

If ever you had a police check where they called it in to check  if you had outstanding charges game over.

So unless I'm missing something expensive piece of plastic. 

Plus if I paid £1500 I'm not to happy he kept a ledger with my Name and name on new drivers licence