Did you know that a Christian organisation has rented a shop next to the bars soi 6 pattaya

advancebooking

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It will be easy for them to get donations and money in, claiming to churches abroad that they are fighting the evil bars in soi 6, so they don't care, they can live for free in Thailand without doing any actual real work.

A proper NGO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stocky said:

Missionaries belong in the pot.

30910488.jpg.7afd2da47b7f062dacacfd959ee868f1.jpg

You do realize that the non-missionaries in this picture didn't develop writing, agriculture, domesticated animals, sails, medicine, like anything.  Peoples all over the world looked at the stars at night and from that developed math and science.  Not so in this picture.  Watch Mel Gibson's movie

Apokalypto for a view of the best civilization man could develop in the absence of God.  So while a particular criticism may be valid, it has to be considered in light of the available alternatives or, as Churchill said, "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."  

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

They should at least have a sense of irony on their mission, like calling the place Mary Magdalene's House of Heavenly Delights.

Or maybe some enterprising Thai can sell amulets to protect the girls from these missionary devils.

Personally I find it intrusive and insulting to the Thais (or the people any place else that they set up these operations) for imposing their morals where they are guests.  IMO the only reason they do these things is for a sales pitch to the congregations to give give give that money, because jesus wants them to.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It will be easy for them to get donations and money in, claiming to churches abroad that they are fighting the evil bars in soi 6, so they don't care, they can live for free in Thailand without doing any actual real work.

Correct, if they were genuinely trying to do the right thing irrespective of what ever religion they want to preach, they would be helping the neglected kids and women living on the streets trying to survive and get their next meal not trying to convert the girls plying the oldest profession in the world. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I was walking down soi 6 doing field research and was surprised to see a live band playing on the street outside a shop in the busy bar area of soi 6 pattaya. Shop front window signs indicated it was a religious organisation. 

A young attractive white girl with big smile approached me wanting to have a chat. This doesnt normally happen to me in my life so I thought 'here we go'. She didnt have a brochure to give me, but of course the conversation soon turned to her religion. I asked her why her religion rents a shop in the biggest brothel street in the country. She said 'god can get into their hearts'. I said these girls are probably all Buddhist and will never convert. She said it didnt matter. 

The guys in the band were Irish Christians. I thought maybe I should go undercover in a 'special mongering operation' and follow them to see if any end up in one of the bars later on paying any fines. In the end I was too lazy and bored to hang around. 

The girls in the bikinis next door and opposite didn't look too impressed by the band and its activities. I thought it was a bit odd to see them there IMHO> 

Opinions...

You're wrong on 2 counts here (at least).

1. Buddhists do convert to Christianity. I had a neighbor who held Christian Prayer meetings with other converted Thai people. She was a lady who had a house full of Buddhist "ornaments" when she first moved next door. If these Christians couldn't convert them, they wouldn't have opened a Christian outreach center on Soi 6.

2. Soi 6 is not an unusual location for Christian groups. The Evangelical Christians will set up shop in the places that are considered most evil. That's their life's work - to save souls. You might not think so, but a lot of these working girls have very bad lives and they are not working there for fun. If they find girls in desperate need of emotional support - they can convert them... and of course, they are also looking to save the souls of wayward expats and tourists.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Correct, if they were genuinely trying to do the right thing irrespective of what ever religion they want to preach, they would be helping the neglected kids and women living on the streets trying to survive and get their next meal not trying to convert the girls plying the oldest profession in the world. 

How do you know they are not helping neglected kids and women living on the streets? I'll put money down they are, but at least you shouldn't be condemning them without knowing them and what they do. 

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They want to spend all day working in a rice field even less.

Can't say I ever wanted to be at any of my workplaces either, it was just to earn money.

I never found my true calling in a traditional workplace either. It felt like I was always working for someone else.

Some of the organizations will support you with food and housing etc if you convert, you just work for that vision and it becomes your job of sorts. You become a missionary where the parent organization sends you a stipend.

I think they are very careful recruiting expats though and watch carefully for people just needing money where their heart is not in the work.

Edited by JimTripper

8 hours ago, HalAndLois said:

Watch Mel Gibson's movie Apokalypto for a view of the best civilization man could develop in the absence of God.

Is this a joke?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I never found my true calling in a traditional workplace either. It felt like I was always working for someone else.

I know what you mean.  I wanted to be a philanthropist but no one would hire me.

• Haha 2

I dunno, the truest missionaries and church outfits minister to the poorest and neediest.

Outfits like the Salvation Army are always located in Skid Row and serve the homeless, drunks, and druggies by providing meals and beds.  

Or you'd prefer preachers wearing Rolexes?

On 2/17/2024 at 12:21 PM, advancebooking said:

The guys in the band were Irish Christians. I thought maybe I should go undercover in a 'special mongering operation' and follow them to see if any end up in one of the bars later on paying any fines. In the end I was too lazy and bored to hang around. 

Do these Irish guys have a work permit?

On 2/17/2024 at 12:59 PM, JimTripper said:

Most of the girls there don't want to be there. It's just to earn money.

That's true for 80 % of humanity. Why do you think most working class stiffs hate Mondays and look forward to Fridays. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:01 PM, couchpotato said:

This religious sect/christians or whatever have been there for years. It is not new.

Certainly, most of the dark fellas from a country with a big reputation selling drugs in Bangkok and Pattaya have connections with Christian churches and organisations.

I feel so bad, I think I need to repent for my multitude of sins. Oh wow look there's a ministry, what a great opportunity. Let me forgo my immediate pleasures and sins, and repent right now. Such guilt. I cannot deal with the guilt I get from all the pleasure! I will burn. Better change my ways.