Condo ownership building service rates - calculation method?

I often thought the service rates charged to condo unit holders was by the square meter? That's what happens in our condo. Is this written in the condominium act or just accepted as the correct way to cost services?

It seems fair to me, but a work colleague of mine said his condo in Bangkok has different rates per square meter depending what floor of the building the unit is on, the higher floors charge more. Curious?

I've never heard of a different charge for condo units on higher floors, all other things being equal.  Makes no sense to me.  Some of the View Talay condo projects in Pattaya used to charge a flat rate, regardless of the size of the unit.  When we lived at View Talay 3 years ago, I believe it was 6000 baht a year for maintenance, whether you were in a 48 sqm studio or one of the larger units.  At some point, I don't remember when, that was changed to a sqm charge and I think that is the case now for most if not all of the VTs.

a lot of the newer build 'loft' style condos with duplex aren't actual duplex in the deed, the sq. m on record will be of one floor only, and the second level is actually classified as 'furniture' like bunk bed, these loft/duplex room will have same floor space as non-duplex room below, if they were to only use the floorplan sq meters, it'd be unfair as they actually have more usable floor space 

• Agree 1

A bit like the "common fees" that many pool villa communities charge monthly.

The rates can be absurd. Not to mention many such developpments that make a cut on the electrical and water fees every month, as the supply first passes throught the developpment.

I have visited such pool villa developpments in Hua hin that were charging 3000 THB per month just for the "common fee" (electrical, pool, gardener and water not included) and the maintenance and cleaning of the common spaces was not done properly. F

Foreigners need to think twice before buying property in Thailand as once you purchase. the entire tone of the developpers can change. They won't answer your requests or overcharge for small maintenance services. Of course all are not like this, but many. Mainly in beach towns, full of retired farangs who seem to enjoy getting cheated.

• Like 1

I believe that a previous version of the Thai Condo Act defined the ratio of payment of common expenses as the ratio of the (initial) sales price of the unit.

Many developers will price their units relative to how high they are up (premium for the nicer view), so this could explain OP’s friend.

The current Thai Condo Act just says that building expenses must be shared according to each co-owners ownership ratio of the common area, i.e. based on their registered size on the title deed.

I have had a lawyer tell me that the building can decide to charge different rates for different units, but I just don’t see how that is compatible with the Thai Condo Act.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:15 PM, digbeth said:

these loft/duplex room will have same floor space as non-duplex room below, if they were to only use the floorplan sq meters, it'd be unfair as they actually have more usable floor space

The buildings I am familiar with, where title deed just include increased ceiling height rather than two separate floors do pay common fee based on the registered area on the title deed.

And yes, it seems a bit unfair, just two different laws written without knowledge of the other.