E-Bay and PayPal have gone from Bad to Worse to Horrible....

redwood1

I've had my eBay account for over 20 years. Get stuff shipped to Thailand all the time. Never a problem. They have changed security measures on my account from time to time over the years, but not by much.

Making payments on eBay used to be faster when they owned PayPal, but, after they sold it off, it requires another step to pay with PayPal now because you have to log into your PayPal account separately.

My PayPal account has also never had a problem, I'm sure I've had it at least 20 years as well. I've had trouble logging in a couple of times because of an overseas IP address, that's just a security measure and it's always been something that could be easily fixed with a phone call to PayPal. I have an overseas address on the PayPal account too, so no issues using it in Thailand.

• Agree 1

Used PayPal both in the UK and Thailand (accounts both countries). Used to use E-Bay a lot, mostly for buying but occassionally for selling unwanted item. After PayPal advised imminent shutdown of foreigner usage in Thailand, I closed that account. Since then I closed E-Bay and UK PayPal accounts. Not missing them.

• Like 1

No problem though have only used Ebay once from Thailand though PayPal a number of times. I purchased a camera from Japan this year from Ebay and using PayPal was amazed at how smooth it all went.

• Agree 1

They also now & scrape to scam buyers & then try screwing the seller over. I was selling heaps there years ago with never a problem and a big rating but as you said they are going down quickly. I won't do anything there ever again

I used to use EvilBay quite a bit a few years ago, mostly for buying and selling guitars and amps, and found it ok, mostly very good experiences. PayPal I found to work well once I'd managed to set it up. 

In Thailand I wouldn't really bother with eBay at all, there's other avenues open.

in a similar vein..i used to sell on Etsy until PPal tightened up, and for some months i wasn't able to find a trustworthy broker to use until Payoneer  have now allowed proceeds from sales in US to be transferred to a Thai Bank Account. I think there is an extra .06% to use them. Im waiting to see how it works as i just had a small sale. Maybe worth a try OP. Good luck.

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Any one else have trouble with them?

Yes, the same problems. I eventually closed my PayPal and stopped shopping from eBay. Not worth the headache (if you don't live in the states). I can find anything I need on Shoppee, Lazada or other's. Unless what I need is somehow limited to the US. 

i only use Ebay to buy things I can't find anywhere else , ie Lazada , Shopee , Ali Express.  Ebay delivery times, especially from the US, using their 'Global Shipping Service' are too long for an impatient sod like me!

For car parts and electronic supplies it is quite useful - so long as you don't need it in a hurry!  

11 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

They also now & scrape to scam buyers & then try screwing the seller over. I was selling heaps there years ago with never a problem and a big rating but as you said they are going down quickly. I won't do anything there ever again

Scam buyers? Its the scam sellers; mainly Chinese, that are now the problem on ebay UK now. And ebay favours them in any dispute hiding behind their dodgy returns guarantee policy and an incomprehensible procedural maze to get a refund. Unlike Lazada which I am really impressed with. Very easy and straightforward to return faulty goods and a refund follows automatically without having to claim.

To avoid this problem I set up a bangkok bank credit card and it is mostly problem free on ebay orders delivered to the location of my choosing.

One of my buddies back home runs a 2nd hand shop from closing out estates and does an average of 50 daily sells on ebay.  He said he finally had to discontinue selling to anyone overseas as so many problems getting burned by customers receiving orders and then claiming nonreceipt.  Maybe this is one of the causes of additional safeguards ebay has implemented.

I order about 30 ebay items per year for 20 years.

1 hour ago, The Theory said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What headaches are there when buying from eBay from Thailand?  

Never mind. All PayPal and eBay and ... are beautiful.

There you go, I didn't think that you'd have anything about eBay.

have been using both ebay and paypal for years, never had a problem, both easy convenient to use.

miss the good old days when the GBP/TBH rate was favorable, i made quite a bit of money selling thai goods to the uk/europe.

Most of what’s on eBay is also on Lazada and shopee at much cheaper prices so I seldom buy on eBay. There are so many scammers on eBay these days (speaking from experience) that I rarely sell anything anymore. My last attempt at selling a high value watch had 3 different scammers trying to get it. 

I have neither problem using Ebay nor with Paypal furthermore I recently bought many times many products from the site of Russian seller and I can assure you that Paypal is 1.000% quarantee method of payments.

If the seller do not send your orders you have the right to make complains in Paypal site for fraud seller and Paypal return back all your  money.Then the seller will have legal problems with Paypal lawmen for illicit and illegal seller activities in his country.

Εither fraud sellers or anyone who will be involved in fraud activities and payments through Paypal will......deeply regret it.

I frequently buy many products online from internal or external including non EU States Russia for many years withought any problem and......customs.....besides of that you should always buy from trustworthy sites (test them in trustpilot site) and trustworthy provider of payments.

Paypal is quarantee 1.000% because when you sign-in in your account Paypal send you (OTP code message) in your phone direcly and after you write the sending OTP code in your account you will have the right to redirect you in your Paypal account.

Besides of that when you complete your purchace at sellers site they redirect you - althought many sellers have many methods of payments - you select Paypal and Paypal redirect you a.g.a.i.n in your Bank account for registration username and password of your Bank account to complete your purchace and payment.

Are we ready? No!

Because Paypal send message in your mail to inform you that you have just complete your payment and if you have any doubts then you have the right to write complaints about of your seller and Paypal will not complete the transaction and finally you can also make a call in your Bank (24hours service) to inform them no to send your payments to seller account or to Paypal.

1.000% quarantee Paypal as well as Ebay.

Personally the most trustworthy method of payments is from your I.B.A.N (International Bank Account Number) to sellers or shops I.B.A.N in order Tax Authorities to check them out.

Finally use a second Bank Account with less money and do not always use your main Bank account where you maybe keep more money for your safety.

Edited by Paris333
  • Haha 1