PM Srettha pledges to woo back Russian tourists with revived flights

snoop1130

Why don’t we scrap visas altogether?

They were originally introduced for the purpose of vetting would-be visitors to a country, so that the applicant could be screened to see if he or she should be welcomed. This is no longer the case. Visas on entry are often granted, in which case none of the information is pre-checked. Of course, governments need to know who is in their country, but this could be achieved by the simple expedient of a simple questionnaire at the time of entry accompanied by an entry fee. Stop gilding the lily by calling it a “Visa”.

Thailand was surprised to find that when they offer visa-free entry they get more tourists which should be obvious.

And the common current practice in some countries of granting more generous terms to some nationalities than others smacks of racial discrimination.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

"Woo back"?

The place is crawling with them already, and SpiderMike hit the nail on the head.

I have never come across a Russian with what we would call manners - I don't know what they would call it because it seems to be such a rarity.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, jesimps said:

You'd think they'd be ecstatic to be here in the sun away from the hellhole that is Russia, however, every single Russian I see looks like they've just trod on a dog turd.

Typical Leo Tolstoy i gotta look devoid of feeling attitude can be seen in their faces.

I did teach a 13 year old and her younger sister. They were vibrant and veryyy clever. Sad thing is the older sister could not be trusted to give the time of day. One day father came to school... pickled drunk.

11 hours ago, mark131v said:

Anyone backing Russia and Putin is morally bankrupt especially with Navalny barely cold! the world may well judge their actions

Unfortunately it's not at all surprising as in Thailand you can pretty much guarantee if there's a choice of doing right or wrong they always go the wrong way

It's what you get when poor education and low iq is mixed with dim entitled idiots in charge and matched with nepotism and corruption, an absolute recipe for disaster!

Talking of low IQ, hasn't it occurred to you that the Russians coming to Thailand are doing so to escape Putin? And that the government here is wanting to help them by adding more flights? How is that 'backing Putin'?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, shackleton said:

It all comes down to money 💰 

High spending European tourists are staying away while Thailand promotes Russians Chinese and Indians as the  preferred tourists

Numbers mean a lot to the Thai Tourist board as long as most if them  stay in Phuket and Pattaya carry on 

There on Samui ,Phangan and Koh Tao renting a handful of properties off Thais then doubling the rent and I bet not one of them has got a work permit the Thai language schools are run off there feet !

40 minutes ago, sambum said:

I agree with your post, but is it not a repeat of one you posted a while ago? I seem to remember the account about your grandmother? 

I sometimes repeat posts, as not everyone reads all the posts. If you've read it before then move on to the next.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Is there not enough of the conscript deserters in Thailand already here on the islands Russian is becoming the second language !

You think they should go and kill total strangers in Ukraine instead of dodging the draft, then?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 62 year old PM divulged intentions to engage in discussions with Thai Airways to reignite the direct route between Moscow and Bangkok. With Thai Airways already re-establishing flights between Istanbul and Bangkok, the prime minister remains optimistic about reviving the Moscow-Bangkok route.

As long as Russia agrees not to seize the aircraft and scavenge it for parts, the PM should feel free to reignite. TG will have to check with the lessor of the airframe for approvals and probably pony a surety/bond in the $150  - $250 million range. 

https://simpleflying.com/major-airlines-serving-russia-2024-list/#emirates

Russia was taken by surprise when it lost 76 passenger planes due to Ukraine invasion sanctions, minister says

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-taken-surprise-lost-76-153930038.html

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Haha 1

Thats going to go down well with Putin, he has been losing 1000 soldiers a day in recent weeks attacking Adivka, he will need to start drafting again after the elections so males of fighting age will have to flee

• Confused 1

A poster said on a similar topic earlier..." Let more and more in spend more multiple millions on property purchases, motorbike rental businesses etc etc, then there will be a complete change of heart, they'll boot the majority out, reclaim and resell property to a new bunch"  quite believable,  or maybe if Putin uses tactical nuclear weapons at some point maybe the PM will have different thoughts about the mighty Russian Federation Passport......    

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Thats going to go down well with Putin, he has been losing 1000 soldiers a day in recent weeks attacking Adivka, he will need to start drafting again after the elections so males of fighting age will have to flee

There you go, doors are open to Thailand, but Putin closes the doors for departures from the motherland....

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Agree 2

Most of the ones I have met over the last couple of years are not in Russia, come from all sorts of places, They cannot use Airbnb or Booking from Russia, quite a few live in Turkey I met a couple they said they live in Uzbekistan they still had Russian passports, 

Must be a fair amount that have left Russia for other parts of the world, Bali has it's fair share, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

You'd think they'd be ecstatic to be here in the sun away from the hellhole that is Russia, however, every single Russian I see looks like they've just trod on a dog turd.

Give that 'I just stepped in beach dog turd' look right back at them !!!! 

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

My condo in Jomtien has become about 75% Russian in the last year.. They keep coming and a lot of them are in no hurry to go home..

I'm seriously considering selling the condo.

I didn't sign up for this..

How are they there? My building is the same as you describe.

The sound of screaming Russian babies permeates to every corner of our building. Slamming doors constantly. Blowing noses onto the floor. Subletting. Stealing. Generally being misearable frowny disrespectful miserablists.

Is it just my condo or are other people having the same experience with them?

I am surprised management put up with them as there is a swimming pool not far from where they sit and it's normally full of a few little Boris and Igors producing the sound of 1000 regular children and throwing crap all over the place with no control whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1