PM Srettha pledges to woo back Russian tourists with revived flights

snoop1130

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Millions of Chinese and Russians. How lovely. Thailand used to be so nice. 

Thailand is still very nice up north among the hills, lakes, forests and moutains. I have recently visited and there are no millions of Chinese and Russians. Of course, if you want a favourite bar stool in a beer bar near a spot on a beach, then you will have to put up with them.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, bobbin said:

My condo in Jomtien has become about 75% Russian in the last year.. They keep coming and a lot of them are in no hurry to go home..

I'm seriously considering selling the condo.

I didn't sign up for this..

Not my Jomtien condo (VT5) - maybe a bit too expensive for the average Russian tourist? Not that I’d mind if my condo was filled with Russians. Jomtien beach does seem to be heavily Russian, but I have no problems with them at all, they’re a great deal more respectable than many tourists here from Western countries, just ordinary people. Not their fault their president’s one of the most evil, murderous psychopaths on the planet. There seems to be a lot more women than men - single women, small groups of women, the occasional single woman with a kid. Maybe wives of men serving in the army being rewarded with a subsidised holiday?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

You've just identified the reason Srettha does do these things. There are no consequences from Western governments if he does. China wouldn't wait a day to slap Thailand around were it being constantly spat in its face, as Thailand does to the West. US ambassador is too busy posting his jogging pictures to squeak so much as a pip. 

I don't disagree with you but I think there's a little more to it - I don't know what that is but there's something and its probably connected to China.

I won't go into detail but a couple of years ago I wrote to the Thai Ambassador in London - twice.  The subject was serious matter but one without any adverse consequences for Thailand - just a request for information really.  In the usual, irritating Thai way when there's nothing in it for them, my letters were completely ignored.

I then contacted my MP who was a government minister at the time.  I was aware that he had previously had dealings with the Thai Ambassador and thought he might help.  He agreed with me that I needed answers but when I asked him to put my question to the Ambassador for me, he refused and went off the phone saying he had an urgent call.  I e-mailed him on the matter and his reply, from memory, was something like 'its not my place to dictate policy to the Thai Ambassador.  That was extremely puzzling because my request was nothing to do with policy and did not involve any dictating at all - it was quite a bland matter but one of importance to me. 

Successive e-mails were met with exactly the same response -  even when I pointed out his puzzling comments about policy. He clearly did not want to do anything that he thought the Thai Ambassador might not like, not that I could understand what was not to like. I have no idea what it was but there was something amiss.

I expected the UK government to be openly critical of Thailand (as they have been with other countries) when they did a deal with Putin to buy some of the oil the West was rejecting - they weren't.  Maybe the UK and US etc. think that they have an ally in Thailand and therefore Asia in general so they don't want to do anything that would damage that perceived relationship - with China in mind.  If that's their thinking, I believe they are sadly mistaken.  Thailand chooses its friends according to what that friend can do for them. Their allegiance changes with their bank account and they do more 'fence sitting' than any other country I know.  I seem to remember Thailand was one of the few countries to abstain on UN votes against Russia when it invaded Ukraine.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, mark131v said:

I think he must be on drugs or some medication, clearly disillusioned I wholeheartedly agree with you but some folk are beyond help

Maybe he’s a seriously competitive participant in a competition to see who can invent the most outrageous troll post, in which case respect - there’s no way I could have ever thought up something so utterly insane.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Maybe the UK and US etc. think that they have an ally in Thailand and therefore Asia in general so they don't want to do anything that would damage that perceived relationship - with China in mind.  If that's their thinking, I believe they are sadly mistaken.  Thailand chooses its friends according to what that friend can do for them.

Or it chooses them because of what it will do to them, and, again, the West, as you point out with your experience, does nothing. Western governments allow Thailand to insult, offend, and repudiate them and then crawl back and beg Thailand to accept more money from their industries. 

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Maybe he’s a seriously competitive participant in a competition to see who can invent the most outrageous troll post, in which case respect - there’s no way I could have ever thought up something so utterly insane.

He could be trolling or baiting or it could be worse.  There's a lot of reports around at the moment about agents of 'certain countries' posting disinformation in order to cause disruption in elections etc.  Some say that they are responsible for the rise of the far right in many countries.  As with the 'conspiracy theorists' that spread so much rubbish durig the Covid pandemic - some people believe what these malicious idiots post and to a certain extent, I can understand that. So many people believe everything they read on Social Media or believe there must be something in it. They see something in print on their god, the internet so it has to be true doesn't it?

An example: During the pandemic I received a message from a close friend who'd read a fwd'd Whatsapp post that stated the woman who was the first in the UK to have a Covid vaccine had died - so my friend had decided that she wasn't going to have the vaccine.  I asked her where she got the information from and she sent me a link to 'news report' from a media company that I'd never heard of.  I have to say that the website looked very professional. A simple Google search revealed that the report was a fake - as was the media co. Just about anyone can make a website and post whatever rubbish they want on it - then link to it on Social Media.

The above is just one example, I've seen quite a few but recently heard that a foreign country is suspected of spreading disinformation that supported the 'leave side' during the lead up to the Brexit vote.  In the interests of balance, I would state that it could be equally possible that the 'remain side' did the same - I'm not interested in opening up that debate again.

Stirring up opinion using populist methods used to be the realm of politicians - now the public are joining in and more ominously 'certain countries' have realised that they can create influence both domestically and worldwide.

Facebook and other Social media platforms recently reported that they had discovered and removed, thousands of fake accounts being used by 'people' from China, Russia and North Korea to spread disinformation.

Although I believe in freedom of speech and democracy etc, I think there's a growing case for limiting that or at least verifying/requesting verification any controversial information posted. Maybe its also time that Social Media platforms, including Asean Now started removing posts that are not just different in their viewpoint but contain clear disinformation and/or make wild accusations.  Either that or a clear text, automatically added to each new topic - warning of the dangers of misinformation.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Although I believe in freedom of speech and democracy etc, I think there's a growing case for limiting that or at least verifying/requesting verification any controversial information posted. Maybe its also time that Social Media platforms, including Asean Now started removing posts that are not just different in their viewpoint but contain clear disinformation and/or make wild accusations.  Either that or a clear text, automatically added to each new topic - warning of the dangers of misinformation.

I partly agree, but am extremely reluctant to employ censorship, except for existing laws on defamation etc. Your suggestion of a warning is a lot better - feel free to post that the moon landings were faked in a Hollywood studio, but expect to have a comment added by a fact checker. Who these fact checkers would be is the issue of course. It’s worth noting that the idea that the COVID virus was accidentally released from a lab was flagged by many experts as disinformation, but is now regarded as a real possibility, though still unproven.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Time to start worrying when you see Street signs in Russian 

The Russian language PA announcements at the airport every 4 minutes is enough ! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I partly agree, but am extremely reluctant to employ censorship, except for existing laws on defamation etc. Your suggestion of a warning is a lot better - feel free to post that the moon landings were faked in a Hollywood studio, but expect to have a comment added by a fact checker. Who these fact checkers would be is the issue of course. It’s worth noting that the idea that the COVID virus was accidentally released from a lab was flagged by many experts as disinformation, but is now regarded as a real possibility, though still unproven.

Have you seen what Google Gimini is pumping out the past few days?

32 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Have you seen what Google Gimini is pumping out the past few days?

No, not heard of it. Seems to be like Chat GPT? I’ve heard that the problem with Chat GPT is that it confabulates if it doesn’t know the answer to something, instead of just admitting  that it doesn’t know.

I’d assume that Google have taken steps to ensure that Gimini can’t be used to spout abusive material - are you saying they’ve failed in that regard?

2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Taking it back to our Putin supporting friend - what I'm suggesting is for clear rubbish such as he posts.

I'm not about to dig up the news reports- there is plenty of evidence that tells the truth about what Putin's armies have done in Ukraine - anyone who can make statements such as 'They have conducted the war in the the most moral fashion, scrupulously observing the rules of war and  minimising civilian casualties'   and state that Putin is a 'humanitarian and a gentleman' is clearly out of order.  Decent people don't get arrest warrants from the ICC.

The internet is a great source of information but its also full of disinformation.  It sounds fair to let everyone have a voice - unfortunately there's a few people out there that should be silenced.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It seems like a missed opportunity for the PM of Thailand not to target Western travelers, especially considering the current travel landscape. With fewer flights and soaring airfare tickets in the West due to the recent pandemic, there's a significant demand for alternative destinations like Thailand. Thai Airlines could potentially tap into this market by obtaining FAA certification, dropping prices, and offering direct flights from Canada and the US.

By filling the gap left by Chinese flights to the West, Thailand could attract not only tourists but also travelers with more disposable income.  While the average Russian citizen might not have as much spending power as Western tourists, focusing on attracting visitors from the West could provide a boost to Thailand's tourism industry.

Ultimately, prioritizing economic opportunities over political considerations could benefit Thailand in the long run, especially in the current global travel climate.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:52 AM, Kiwiken said:

Perhaps it is time for Western nations to review relations with Thailand. Is Thailand looking to join Brics?

They would only take note if the US had a serious word. Even then, Thailand would still play them and Srettha is a self-proclaimed Chinese ‘brother’ after all… not that he is in charge of course. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:44 PM, MangoKorat said:

I can honestly say that if I hadn't invested so much time and a considerable amount of cash in Thailand, I'd be telling Thailand to stick it where the sun don't shine.  How long have Western tourists been coming to Thailand? When did we ever get a 90 day exempt?

Whilst most of the civilised world does its best to cut ties with Russia, Prayuth does a deal on oil with Putin, now Srettha cosies up even more to a man that's just had his main rival murdered and invaded a neighbour on false pretences. 

Maybe the West should stop the import of Thai assembled pick ups?

He, as with so many past Thai PM's, is totaly out of kilter with the Thai population (not that he gives a damn) - are the 'No Russians' signs still up at hotels in Pattaya and Phuket?

I wouldn’t let it get to you too much. What the despicable individuals that run this place do is no reflection on the people of this fair land. They will suck up to the China/Russia axis for their own gain no end. Our own leaders also do crappy, crafty deals. Thoughts and deeds won’t change anything. Just close your ears, don’t read too much Thaivisa and enjoy your time. 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going to post this one comment as it's laughable how many people are crying tears over Navalny because they've been told by the TV to

- He was a supremacist

- He was a Mi6 asset

- What benefit to Putin would his death provide over just keeping him imprisoned? (This seems to have benefitted Ukraine as the Western public was growing tired of Ukrainian financial support especially as the talk about conscription hit the UK and the reaction was not exactly positive)

- Convenient it happened the day his wife was at a Security Council meeting to give a speech which led to further financial support for Ukraine 

- Do you care about what Western governments have been doing to Assange for years or what happened to Gonzalo Lira in Ukraine?

They are manufacturing your consent to send more money which finds its way into the elite's pockets and eventually send your kids to die in a wider war.

Think critically this is as bad as "Russia" blowing up the Nordstream which turned out to be a fabrication

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mark131v said:

In the process of making your hats do you use regular bacofoil or do you prefer something stronger?

Triggered by someone who doesn't rent out their opinions to mass media

Please tell me where I lied

He was a supremacist, gave speeches to white supremacists

His top aide is on video stating to a Mi6 it will take 20m a month to stage a colour revolution 

His death benefitted Putin how?

Do you give a <deleted> about Assange or Lira western journalists who have either died in Prison or been held in ill health for 12 years?

Finally do you believe Russia blew up the nordstream and have space lasers because it might be you with the tin hat

• Sad 1

I am always amazed at the western people commenting on here about the government. The pro China and Russia policies?For the last fifteen years it has been going that direction. You moved there with a pro China dictatorship government in Thailand. Then complain... Hahahaha.

My suggestion to any western people living there that want to stay is to start learning Chinese, Russian language. Keep up with the the political policies and go with them. Start denouncing western values and try to fit in. Or move! You have no choice at this point.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Another load of hogwash, verging on conspiracy theorist nonsense.  I can't speak for others but I've followed the Navalny story for years.  It's very clear to me that what's happened to him - imprisonment and now death, has occurred because he posed the nearest thing to a threat that Putin has faced.  After all they did to him, he still had the strength to laugh in Putin's face.

He had 3% support prior to his imprisonment so no Putins closest threat was the communist party so na you are wrong

You say hogwash and use an ad hominem attack "conspiracy theorist" because you can't disprove the facts can you

Did Navalny give impassioned speeches to White supremacists and was to revoke Russian citizenship from the Muslim Caucasus regions? Yes

Is there clear video of his top aide speaking with an Mi6 agent to start a color revolution? Yes

Does his death benefit the western MiC more than Putin? for sure

Who did the Nordstream attack?

Unprovoked invasion??? You are having a laugh. A despise Putin but you are not living in reality, I'm assuming you are American with your Assange comment so it's a quite simple thing, if China staged a color revolution in Mexico and got a new pro China government and wanted to place Nukes and Missiles pointed at Washington/NYC/LA that the US would just sit there and take it... You know you wouldn't

All US media has the same foreign policy you have state run news, same as the UK, there's subtle differences in domestic policy just the same as your Uniparty that acts as if they are different but are just a division tool to stop the masses from blaming the leaders and blaming their fellow citizens for voting for the wrong party.

• Haha 1