Owner kept deposit

Back story, I found a room I wanted to rent, unavailable until a few weeks in the future. Went ahead and signed a contract to begin when it became available and payed a 1 month deposit. With a couple of weeks until the contract started I had a change in my situation and had to cancel the contract. They decided to keep my deposit stateing they missed out on other customers.

This room will rent itself, high floor ocean view great location, reasonable price. So I'm pretty sure ( not certain) that they won't lose any money as they still have time to rent it to a new customer.

Was it legal to keep my 1 month deposit?

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Sure I understand that, I have been on the owner side before. However where I'm from it would have been a more equitable and I would have held the deposit unless I was actually able to rent the room and therefore not lost any rent I would return the deposit.

I had a contract that had not started yet. There is a contract start date. Just my 2 cents.

But this is Thailand and I wanted to verify if there was any legal basis.

Thank you for the replies 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately the same applies if you put a deposit on a house.  If you can't complete the transaction/contract then the seller has every right to retain the deposit. 

This occurs worldwide not just in Thailand. 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I had a contract that had not started yet. There is a contract start date. Just my 2 cents.

The contract started when both partners signed it. Your rent period had not started yet.

Anything in the contract about what happens if one of the signers does not fulfill it? Also, how much was the deposit compared to rent and how long was the rent period?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I believe the owner is within their rights to keep your deposit.  A more reasonable way though would be for them to market the flat again and if they let it without any loss - refund your deposit. Any losses would be taken from your deposit.

I doubt that's going to happen in Thailand though - I think you're going to have to accept you've lost your deposit.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Yes.

You signed a contract.

You paid a deposit.

You broke the contract.

You lost your deposit.

Perfectly legal and moral and ethical.

Disagree. Nothing in there is moral and ethical. Legal I would presume.

The renter having entered into a contract, means that he will get rent for the stated period.

Some civilized countries even allow someone to sub-rent at their own cost, so that the renter does not end up losing money.

And the most civilized renters will reimburse a deposit, after receiving rent from another tenant.

Oh yes, I forgot, TIT

23 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Sure I understand that, I have been on the owner side before. However where I'm from it would have been a more equitable and I would have held the deposit unless I was actually able to rent the room and therefore not lost any rent I would return the deposit.

Once you signed the lease and paid the deposit, the room was taken off the market. They lost out on other customers and now suddenly have to scramble to find another tenant. Maybe pay for ads, hire an agent. You say it will rent itself but you can't guarantee that, "high season" is over.

If you've been on the owner side before, I'm baffled that you would feel entitled to your deposit back for breaking the contract a few weeks before. Whether they find a tenant in time or not, you've greatly inconvenienced them.

As for the legality of it, many landlords/owners keep deposits even when people have been the perfect tenants and left the place in the same condition and spotless. Some people are just greedy. Police don't care, it's a civil matter.

Sorry but You are known as a time waster in business.
I paid a 3k deposit on a S/H car, but when I did some research after found out there was a class action ongoing about the CVT gearboxes. I just rang and said I didn't want it,,  I didn't even try to get the deposit back, just the same as it could have been sold but was taken off the market. 

Having said that Contracts should state Clearly that you loose your deposit if you break the Contract. IMO