Heart Disease Linked to Eating Too Much Protein

We're often told to eat more protein to maintain a healthy, balanced diet. But new research shows that eating too much could actually be bad for our health.

Protein is an essential macronutrient and is important for growing and maintaining muscle mass. It has also been shown to reduce cravings and boost our metabolism. However, the amount of protein that our bodies actually need to fulfill these functions is much lower than modern marketing would have you believe.

https://www.newsweek.com/heart-disease-eating-protein-1872517

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

Every week we are told that something we thought was good is now bad. Something that was thought as bad is now good!

Just eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise.

Science marches on.

The point of the article was to determine what is a a healthy diet or, in this case, what is not.

Edited by ozimoron

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Science marches on.

The point of the article was to determine what is a a healthy diet or, in this case, what is not.

Not arguing, just highlighting how quick and often it changes and what can be done about it.

Just now, sungod said:

Not arguing, just highlighting how quick and often it changes and what can be done about it.

Well, I've just gone from two scoops of whey every day to none. To be fair, this is the first major change I've made to my diet in a year based on a scientific article.

A couple of years ago I gave up red meat. These recommendations don't come every day. I don't follow fad diets, my dietary decisions are based on science and not you tubers.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

my dietary decisions are based on science and not you tubers.

My dietary decisions are based on real life experiences, and not on some fake medical science reports written by a news reporter.

The article makes clear it concerns only ONE particular amino acid, leucine, but it conveniently fails to mention how much is too much.

The protein I take contains 3195mg of Leucine per scoop.

This thread should be closed for it conspiracy theories

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

My dietary decisions are based on real life experiences, and not on some fake medical science reports written by a news reporter.

The article makes clear it concerns only ONE particular amino acid, leucine, but it conveniently fails to mention how much is too much.

Good luck with that. It's a Newsweek article from their science desk.

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Well, I've just gone from two scoops of whey every day to none. To be fair, this is the first major change I've made to my diet in a year based on a scientific article.

A couple of years ago I gave up red meat. These recommendations don't come every day. I don't follow fad diets, my dietary decisions are based on science and not you tubers.

Why were you taking any whey supplement? Protein comes from many sources. You would get that from a well balanced diet.

7 minutes ago, sungod said:

Why were you taking any whey supplement? Protein comes from many sources. You would get that from a well balanced diet.

I had read a number of articles that said that older people need more protein to counter muscle wasting (sarcopenia). The consensus seemed to be that it would take a LOT of meat and eggs, etc to make up 1 gm per Kg of body weight which seems to be the base line. Like 750 grams a day of steak for example. The conclusion I drew from that is we need to take whey to supplement that protein intake. I don't eat red meat so the problem is even greater for me. I also spend a couple of hours of pretty intense gym training every week with a trainer.

My intention is to stop whey for a few weeks and see if my performance drops or any other issues manifest, like strength. Right now, my strength is increasing quite remarkably on a weekly basis. It should soon be obvious if that rate of improvement drops suddenly. For example, 2 weeks ago I struggled managed to leg press 80 Kg, yesterday it was up to 100 Kg. (3 x 15 reps).

I do take diet seriously and I appreciate your response.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

… Just eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise.

This,

Of course there’s no money in the above so Pharma / Med industry can’t sell you drugs, supplements or fad diets. 

Now it's too much protein :cheesy:

I thought it was too much fat or too much sugar.   I'll wait till the next study comes out, that matches my dietary intake, so I can feel good about myself :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Now it's too much protein :cheesy:

I thought it was too much fat or too much sugar.   I'll wait till the next study comes out, that matches my dietary intake, so I can feel good about myself :coffee1:

Can't it be all of those things?

The anatomical disease section includes 18 major categories with more than 26,000 diseases representing all areas of the body, including blood, bone, immune, muscle, and reproductive diseases and only a handful of cures are known to work for sure the rest is a guess work and hope for the best...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can't it be all of those things?

I'm past my expiration date, so all that extra protein, fat & sugar I loved, didn't kill me yet.  There's always another study in the future, that will debunk the previous study.

Article seems all for not

"Clearly, long-term human studies are needed to impact dietary guidelines but the take-home message is that blindly eating more protein in your diet for overall metabolic health is not a cure-all," Razani said. "As a cardiologist, I still recommend people to abide by USDA nutrition recommendations which closely follow the Mediterranean diet, with roughly 15 percent kilocalories of daily dietary protein coupled with healthier fats and complex carbohydrates, and constitutes one of the most balanced diets for the vast majority.

"In addition, do not take the results of our study to drastically change your diet without consulting with a physician, especially if you already suffer from cardiovascular disease. Our study should increase conversation on this topic and stimulate the nutrition, metabolism, and medical community to conduct mechanistic studies such as this to arrive at a more comprehensive understanding of our diet's role in heart health."

The purpose of the article ... to SELL SUPPEMENTS ... after your understanding of diet in heart health.  I await all the new ads for supplements now that I clicked on the article :coffee1:

This entire field of research is one giant psyop. Eat foods that are not processed. This isn’t difficult. Imagine the lengths they’ve went to demonize salt, and yet doctors don’t really criticize other, obviously much more harmful foods, nearly as much. 

The idea that we might not need as much as we're led to believe by modern marketing is something to think about. It's all about finding that balance and listening to our bodies rather than just following trends. It's a good reminder to focus on a well-rounded diet that meets all our nutritional needs without going overboard on any one thing.

On the subject of protein, and meat, we have all been led to believe that eating too much meat is not good for one (I exclude processed meats from this) and that's why so many people are advocating a vegetarian diet, which is supposed to be very good for one.

I was going through a library of documentaries the other night and came across one about the South American gauchos, who live their lives basically looking after cattle and sheep on grasslands, and their diet consists almost entirely of meat, and that ranges from testicles through to intestines through to muscle fibre and so on, in fact none of the beast is wasted. 

So I got to thinking that they must have a short lifespan eating all of that meat, so I did a little research and discovered that the average lifespan of the gaucho is 76 years which is about the same as the average Western male!!

Not that I eat much meat at all, but when I do dive into a lovely steak, I won't have second thoughts about it, or think about switching to a vegetarian diet.......not that a vegetarian diet would sit well with a nice glass of red wine!

Maybe we overthink these sort of things???

On 2/23/2024 at 5:44 AM, BenStark said:

What the article doesnt mention, when high protein diet, the risk of dehydration where you need to fill in carbs, to maintain hydration. To many jump on diets without knowing risks involved with hyped extreme diets. 

Balanced diet is important in the long run. These article seems to favour more plant based diet. Not surpriesed thinking of the timing.

On 2/23/2024 at 5:29 AM, ozimoron said:

Your diet macros should be based on your lifestyle and what you actually need! Two scoops doesnt say anything if you do not count your macros in yiur total diet intake.

Water based on your activity and also what food you eat. Salt needed compare to water intake, etc etc

Protein intake should be measured on your lean body weight, and not total body weight 💪 to maintain or build muscle mass.

Edited by Hummin