Foreigners tax obligations

I have been reading about foreigners being liable for tax if they have been in Thailand for 180 days of the year. 

Will this include foreigners that have been staying on a tourist visa, visa exempt, extensions of these. If you are staying in total of more than 180 days on these kind of entries will you also be liable to pay tax?

Edited by LauChan

4 minutes ago, LauChan said:

I have been reading about foreigners being liable for tax if they have been in Thailand for 180 days of the year. 

Will this include foreigners that have been staying on a tourist visa, visa exempt, extensions of these. If you are staying in total of more than 180 days on these kind of entries will you also be liable to pay tax?

Not if your home country has a "double taxation" agreement with Thailand. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, LauChan said:

Simple answer is "yes", how much you will be liable to pay depends on your situation. 

You would need to do your homework, and this will be probably the worst that is going to happen to most of our fellow AN geezers.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Agree 1

Your visa type or lack thereof is irrelevant. It's all about the 180 days thing as far as whether you're a tax resident of Thailand.

If a tax resident, whether you personally are required to file or pay any Thai tax is a separate matter.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LauChan said:

Please read the document link given to you earlier and come back to us with any questions. Your visa type is not really relevant, it's mostly the number of days that counts..

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LauChan said:

By definition yes but it depends 

Nobody knows what foreigners are going to be liable for because the Thai government has yet to make an announcement. Anybody who says they know is just talking out of there a--.

However, you will be considered a tax resident if you reside in the country for 180 days in a year.

18 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

However, you will be considered a tax resident if you reside in the country for 180 days in a year.

Hence one will have to deal with Thai RD. And that's rather unpleasant as I doubt they have many english speaking staff members.

4 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Nobody knows what foreigners are going to be liable for because the Thai government has yet to make an announcement. Anybody who says they know is just talking out of there a--.

Anybody who has studied the subject knows, I'm pretty certain I do! So here, read the following and you'll know also:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Hence one will have to deal with Thai RD. And that's rather unpleasant as I doubt they have many english speaking staff members.

The larger District offices will, there are several who speak English in the Chiang Mai Districts 1 & 2 offices. Most of the Tax officers are university educated so will have been required to learn English.

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Anybody who has studied the subject knows, I'm pretty certain I do! So here, read the following and you'll know also:

I've read everything but so far there has been no official announcement. We don't know how retirees are going to be affected, how the system will be implemented, what will count as taxable income, how the tax will be paid or any other details. Right now it's just a guessing game.

9 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

It will kill Thailand as a retirement destination for a lot of people, I imagine, while the benefits are dubious. The government made a big push to increase the number of retirees aiming for a goal of at least 1 million. The implementation of something like this is not going to help that dream.