HIFi - Hi end stuff for sale.

wozzlegummich

This ^^^, easy to get to by MRT too.

There's also a place in Zeer Rangsit. It looks like one of those "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" kind of place, I feel my wallet emptying just looking through the window.

Take the Red Line to Rangsit then jump a taxi to Zeer. Reverse the process to get home.

As far as I know there is also a Thai version of an audio magazine - printed.

I saw them some time ago in Bookazine.

I suggest buy one, even if you can't read Thai.

They will likely have ads from shops and possibly also a private for sale section.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, wozzlegummich said:

I'm retiring to Thailand soon and want to know where is the best place to sniff out some decent second hand QUALITY hi fi components. I'm a big fan of Cerwin Vega speakers and Marantz amps.

Best to either bring your own, or better to have lived here a few months first.

Back in the UK I spent all my time (and spare money) on hifi, here for some reason it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Having extremely restricted access to women backs most of us in the western 'hobby corner'.

Here we get different hobbies.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best to either bring your own, or better to have lived here a few months first.

Yeah, most of my gear is vintage (I hate using that word for gear that is only 45 years old or so) Marantz, Cerwin Vega etc but the speakers are very big. Quote so far to get it all to Thailand is ฿60000 - ฿80000 so I was hoping maybe for that money I could buy locally. 

I am no audiophile and like my 70's,80's & 90's rock music loud and with plenty of bass. It is that live sound I enjoy most. Maybe I go and listen to some pro gear.

Edited by wozzlegummich

29 minutes ago, wozzlegummich said:

I'm retiring to Thailand soon and want to know where is the best place to sniff out some decent second hand QUALITY hi fi components. I'm a big fan of Cerwin Vega speakers and Marantz amps.

facebook marketplace. Its where I have sold my kit and bought quite a bit of stuff.  Vintage Marantz is pretty dear tho. 

• 2 months later...

I’m sure there are big warehouses in Bangkok filled with used electronics.  Of course, new gear is easy to find.  With the Japanese Yen dropping, maybe a person could find some good deals.  

Back in the states, I always tried to have quality equipment.  Every once in a while in Thailand I get that urge, but so far, I’ve only bought some KEF LSX II speakers for my TV that are also good for streaming music.  They have an internal amp, so that’s all you need. I can stream Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music. Not bad little speakers for not too much money. I think they were around 50,000 baht.

Anyway, I’m trying not to accumulate too much junk.  I’m sure I cave in at some point, but so far, I’ve resisted.

13 hours ago, jas007 said:

I’m sure there are big warehouses in Bangkok filled with used electronics.  Of course, new gear is easy to find.  With the Japanese Yen dropping, maybe a person could find some good deals.  

Back in the states, I always tried to have quality equipment.  Every once in a while in Thailand I get that urge, but so far, I’ve only bought some KEF LSX II speakers for my TV that are also good for streaming music.  They have an internal amp, so that’s all you need. I can stream Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music. Not bad little speakers for not too much money. I think they were around 50,000 baht.

Anyway, I’m trying not to accumulate too much junk.  I’m sure I cave in at some point, but so far, I’ve resisted.

The OP is after "Hi-end" but then mentions high street brands.

There are high end audio suppliers here, but the price is so inflated. I wanted some things and I contacted the manufacturer who informed me even tho' the kit is sold here, there was no Thai distributor but Singapore was the closest. I think serious audiophiles would purchase their equipment and import. I imported from the US, the import duty was lower than purchasing from SG or BKK.

There was a hi-fi shop in my local big C, he had second hand gear from Japan, but the price was silly for really outdated tech. idk about anyone else, but if im going to spend anything over 500B, I dont want something with chips, dust and scratches on. There are warehouses in BKK, but the gear isn't cared for, its just pulled from a container and left on the floor.

For my listening rig in the man cave I ended up with a pair of Andrew Jones Elac speakers, then I struggled to find a decent priced amp. Living here, you need a simple solution, big boxes on shelves and loads of cables all collect dust, and sometimes fail. I so wish I had bought a pair of integrated speakers as you did, I encourage the OP to do the same, the end result will be the same.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The brands you mention are really department store brands and not high end at all, so Fortune will be no good for you. If you want proper hifi go to Piyanas in Fortune…they have loads of choice in the 30k price bracket up to some high end, otherwise it’s Facebook marketplace.

an integrated solution (Naim, Cambridge, Elac, Nad, Arcam) are good, convenient and suitable for condos. However they’re not much fun. A proper hifi system in a decent size living room is fun because you can sell\buy components to hear the improvements in sound each time.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:43 PM, jas007 said:

"Lucky Home" in Samrong is a huge, 3 warehouse "Japan" store that sells container loads of used Japanese goods every month.  There is one warehouse dedicated to audio gear and they even have a testing bench where you can test before you leave.  There is also half a warehouse dedicated to camera gear, at least 10,000 old cameras(Many kaput)    It is not dirt cheap.  They know the worth ot the goods but there are bargains and values to be had.   

About 1KM from the Samrong BTS

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, dddave said:

"Lucky Home" in Samrong...

Here is their FB page for interested parties... :cool:

Their inventory looks amazing...

image.thumb.png.65b3c213974d233826177488817cd2c5.png