Persistent problem with AC compressor unit fans on split-ACs. Any help much appreciated.

GammaGlobulin

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@GammaGlobulin giving To much information 

“ The AC is not working” or “the AC is about to explode”

You know what the problem is but telling them is not going to help you. They have to realises it themselves and give a solution.

The problem is extreme noise at some fan speeds. They have to solve the problem 

Their solution maybe “replace the complete outside unit”

They probably can’t fix the real problem because they don’t have components. The “fix” may cost 100 x the real fix but that’s their problem not yours.

Thank you, again!

These service people are very good at gaslighting, but not so good at solving problems.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

if the video is the extent of the problem the DIY fix is likely to function, be effective and reasonably easy to try.

if it’s the problem I will elaborate.

a.  The AC with Nike shoe is machine ONE.  

b. The video is of vibration from machine on "super" cool.

c.  Also, this machine ONE has lower frequency vibration when the fan is running at medium RPM.

d.  The other video is of machine TWO.

e.  Now, both machines are located at same site.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

c.  Also, this machine ONE has lower frequency vibration when the fan is running at medium RPM.

Let me know if you decide to try a fix yourself and I’ll elaborate.

22 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If your problem is the AC in video one with the shoe then an earlier poster may be correct that you have a screw lose. Have you tried tightening the screws on the lid? If they are tight then remove the lid and check for rubber tape around the inside of the lid to stop it vibrating against the main case of the unit.

3.  However, at mid-range RPMs, very suddenly, the sound of the fan becomes much louder.  The sound is difficult to describe, but it is sort of a much higher pitched "rattling" sound, as if something might be loose, even though I doubt that there is anything loose.

I could make a video of it.... neighbor in 10+ million baht moo baan changed his compressor

since then, one bedroom on that side of the house, is unliveable

the noise is very loud and vibrations come into even a room at the opposite of the house...

off course thai people are deaf to these kind of things and say it is normal

there was no problem for years... until the change of compressor

1 hour ago, transam said:

I gave up, way too complicated written stuff, though his thingy sounds like a fan bearing.......😵

Yes!

I also thought it sounded like a problem with a fan motor bearing!

This was my first thought.

Tks.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, john donson said:

3.  However, at mid-range RPMs, very suddenly, the sound of the fan becomes much louder.  The sound is difficult to describe, but it is sort of a much higher pitched "rattling" sound, as if something might be loose, even though I doubt that there is anything loose.

I could make a video of it.... neighbor in 10+ million baht moo baan changed his compressor

since then, one bedroom on that side of the house, is unliveable

the noise is very loud and vibrations come into even a room at the opposite of the house...

off course thai people are deaf to these kind of things and say it is normal

there was no problem for years... until the change of compressor

They may be deaf.

Or, they may be Kuai.

I have not made up my mind yet.

(Probably, it's just more of a case of complete ignorance how things are supposed to work.  They have no way to judge what is functioning properly and what is functioning improperly.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:33 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

This machine is sold by the same manufacturer of the machine in question, in this Topic.

The machine here in the video is only 6-months old.

A new machine, basically.

This manufacturer seems to be providing ACs to the local market with excessive vibration, probably due to problems with the compressor fans.

I am no expert.

YOU decide.

You dont really know its the fan, your just guessing because its the easy guess. Since, it's an Inverter it does scroll the fan up and down in speed but also the compressor as well. Depending on the type of compressor (rotary, scrolling or 1 or the other types as there are several) used the noise may be coming from that when it reaches that speed range. It could also be a harmonic issue but that does not necessarily mean its the fan that's making the noise. The frequency of the fan or compressor running may be transmitting to triggering something else to vibrate. 

• Like 1

FYI:  According to my experience, ACs from this manufacturer, at least in Japan, work just about flawlessly.

So, I am not sure what is happening here.

Is it a FENGSHUI problem?

Or, something else?

Quite exasperating, actually.

• Sad 1

On 2/27/2024 at 1:26 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Don’t you mean you are waiting for the other shoe to drop?

It may be necessary to just move the compressor unit about 10 meters using a further extension of copper pipe for refrigerant.

This may be the only solution.

Just because I think I will be dead before these guys finally get up to speed.

I am not sure how much this will decrease the cooling efficiency due to heat loss from the pipe extension.

Yet, this seems the only solution, at this point.

Very unfortunate.

Also, as everybody here knows, life is just too short to try to change the status quo.

Total waste of energy.

(Also, when all is said and done, one must finally realize that to dwell upon shortcomings is fruitless, and one must, instead, enjoy and savor the many great things about life here.  At least, I know that doing this is the only final solution for me. In other words, enjoy the food here, and the many other wonderful things here, and learn to accept what cannot be changed.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:34 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

ff.  So then, my question is whether or not the fan motor, or fan, suddenly becomes "unbalanced" at certain mid-range RPMs?

Is the condenser unit level, both directions? 

Are the brackets evenly installed, unbalance pressure from brackets to body of the unit ? 

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This may be the only solution.

Just because I think I will be dead before these guys finally get up to speed.

I am not sure how much this will decrease the cooling efficiency due to heat loss from the pipe extension.

Yet, this seems the only solution, at this point.

Very unfortunate.

It isn’t the only solution.

if the shoe is dampening the noise enough to be acceptable there is at least 1 more action that has a good chance of working.

The top cover is clearly resonating without a dampening object on it.

That cover is also clearly easily removable.

Assuming that the items under that cover are not tight against it (this is a reasonable assumption)

then you get some closed cell foam sheet, this material is reasonably easy to source if you go to a foam supplier (I know of 1 in Udon)IMG_8404.thumb.jpeg.ce4b0efc1c6a8dfb62413eb8e7b6be09.jpeg

using spray adhesive stick that to the underside of the top panel, this will both stop the resonating noise and provide a small amount of damping. I used this idea to quiet a compressor and the sound reduction was significant 

If there is still an uncomfortable noise report back.

The benefit of this is that it will be invisible 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 2 weeks later...

The formula for balancing a motor/ fan etc... is...

Max squared minus min squared over max squared plus min squared times trial weight.

You need a stopwatch, a felt tipped pen, and a trial weight.

And you won't find anything on Google or YouTube about it.

It's just another one of my well kept secrets.

P.S. And yes, it does work. I used it to balance a FD fan on a biogas boiler last week.

Edit. I'll even include a photo of the exact fan.

IMG20240308172631.jpg

Edited by sipi

• 3 weeks later...