NATO Will Be Drawn Into War With Russia if Ukraine Loses: Lloyd Austin

12 hours ago, zhounan said:

Only when the ruling class and rich send their sons to the front will I agree with a war.

and when they are led from the front by every politician that votes for a war.

BTW, that's sexist. Women have every right to be blown to bits fighting in a war now- equality and all that.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, Europe is just lucky. They have, IMO, reduced their military forces to the point of irrelevance.

Look at Britain which used to have the largest and most powerful navy on the planet, which now is reduced to 2 aircraft carriers which apparently are both out of service, and don't have any British attack planes on them. They also have a few frigates and destroyers, but I heard they have a problem finding crews, as not enough men want to join the military ( having been in the military myself that doesn't surprise me ).

Valid points but I was referring to if Putin currently has the resources to take over Europe.  

Appears at least half of his males of conscription age are in Thailand or other countries 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, Europe is just lucky. They have, IMO, reduced their military forces to the point of irrelevance.

Look at Britain which used to have the largest and most powerful navy on the planet, which now is reduced to 2 aircraft carriers which apparently are both out of service, and don't have any British attack planes on them. They also have a few frigates and destroyers, but I heard they have a problem finding crews, as not enough men want to join the military ( having been in the military myself that doesn't surprise me ).

For once I agree with your analysis.

However, I struggle to reconcile this post with your view that the war in Ukraine has nothing to do with Russian expansionism. If that's the case, why would Europe need to spend money on a deterrent?

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Biden is pro Putin.

Biden is pro dictatorships.

Biden is anti democracy.

I consider him a criminal and traitor.

What does that make TRUMP?

He is all the above and more!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, G_Money said:

Valid points but I was referring to if Putin currently has the resources to take over Europe.  

Appears at least half of his males of conscription age are in Thailand or other countries 

The USSR, a.k.a. the former Russian empire, lost almost 9 million dead and over 28 million wounded in World War II, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union and emerged  a world power and with greatly expanded territory.  Putin regards the dissolution of that empire as one of the great tragedies of history.

Do you really think Putin cares how many lives would be lost in his quest for empire?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, G_Money said:

I was referring to "Europe is in good hands", as I don't think it is.

Could he take over Europe? Joking right?

I very much doubt that Putin has the resources to do more than hold the line he now has with the capture of Adiviika.

Lets be clear, MAD still exists and as long as it does, only a madman is going to invade Europe or Russia.

• Agree 1

Simon Jenkins absolutely nailing it here.

Western Europe has no conceivable interest in escalating the Ukraine war through a long-range missile exchange. While it should sustain its logistical support for Ukrainian forces, it has no strategic interest in Kyiv’s desire to drive Russia out of the majority Russian-speaking areas of Crimea or Donbas. It has every interest in assiduously seeking an early settlement and starting the rebuilding of Ukraine.

As for the west’s “soft power” sanctions on Russia, they have failed miserably, disrupting the global trading economy in the process. Sanctions may be beloved of western diplomats and thinktanks. They may even hurt someone – not least Britain’s energy users – but they have not devastated the Russian economy or changed Putin’s mind. This year Russia’s growth rate is expected to exceed Britain’s.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/05/nato-ukraine-russia-germany-military-leak

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was referring to "Europe is in good hands", as I don't think it is.

Could he take over Europe? Joking right?

I very much doubt that Putin has the resources to do more than hold the line he now has with the capture of Adiviika.

Lets be clear, MAD still exists and as long as it does, only a madman is going to invade Europe or Russia.

So pretty much what I thought.  Paper Tiger 

• Agree 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:10 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

It has every interest in assiduously seeking an early settlement and starting the rebuilding of Ukraine.

I bet they do, I bet they do. The prospect of the billions of western taxpayer $ to rebuild Ukraine probably has them wetting themselves.

Pity about the nurses and ambulance drivers having to go without a pay rise though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I bet they do, I bet they do. The prospect of the billions of western taxpayer $ to rebuild Ukraine probably has them wetting themselves.

Pity about the nurses and ambulance drivers having to go without a pay rise though.

History truly does repeat itself (Marshall plan)

Whether the nonstop funding from Uncle Sam and the taxpayers comes from war aid or rebuilding, two things are certain.

Zelensky will be able to keep his luxury yacht and ensure his bank accounts are topped off .

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

Whether the nonstop funding from Uncle Sam and the taxpayers comes from war aid or rebuilding, two things are certain.

Zelensky will be able to keep his luxury yacht and ensure his bank accounts are topped off .

The voice of envy............:guitar:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

The voice of envy............:guitar:

Envy?  Not all.  Everything I have I worked for.

Don’t need aid, a kindler and gentler word for government welfare.

Zelensky has become much richer thanks to the American taxpayer.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, G_Money said:

Envy?  Not all.  Everything I have I worked for.

Don’t need aid, a kindler and gentler word for government welfare.

Zelensky has become much richer thanks to the American taxpayer.

See, I was right...........🤭

7 hours ago, G_Money said:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-zelenskyy-luxury-yachts-75-million-067680385163

Just more BS from the maga crowd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1