Buying a car online

I have found a Car on Baht and Sold to make the transfer what is the best way?

I will meet a representative for the owner as they are in Germany at a hotel in BKK.

What is the best way to ensure that the car is not stolen? As it is a 2005 it should not have any HPI on it. 

Would it be safe enough to hand the money over after receiving the Green Book and the relevant bill on sale?

Cheers for any advice

I would never give cash unless it was 100% verified that the tittle is clean.

If the seller doesn't want to go through the extra time and steps, forget it.

Always remember, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.....

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

And ?

Cars that have been in accidents, esp in Thailand, will tend to have frame issues. The insurance companies are a complete scam imo, that’s why the rates are so cheap. They don’t actually fix cars, they just polish up a terd and make it look nice. Cars in wrecks can have all sorts of problems, even major safety issues if in another wreck. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Cars that have been in accidents, esp in Thailand, will tend to have frame issues. The insurance companies are a complete scam imo, that’s why the rates are so cheap. They don’t actually fix cars, they just polish up a terd and make it look nice. Cars in wrecks can have all sorts of problems, even major safety issues if in another wreck. 

Yeah not seeing the relevance to the question asked by the OP to be honest.

14 hours ago, Merrill said:

I have found a Car on Baht and Sold to make the transfer what is the best way?

I will meet a representative for the owner as they are in Germany at a hotel in BKK.

What is the best way to ensure that the car is not stolen? As it is a 2005 it should not have any HPI on it. 

Would it be safe enough to hand the money over after receiving the Green Book and the relevant bill on sale?

Cheers for any advice

You shall have a blue book for a car, and it shall be up to date with tax and insurance.

I would wish to physically inspect a second hand car before deciding to buy it. I would not pay before at the land transport office, when the car is moved to a new owner; i.e. power of attorney etc. accepted.

Thanks all, yes good advice I will inspect the Vehicle for accident damage and do the transfer at the DLT office.

As I understand it they are transporting the car up from the south and it is in the hands of a representative for the owner who is in `Germany. On a lighter note the rep has a German name and from the voicemail. "When you arrive in BKK call me" What !! wait in the arrival lounge? The chap has a Mexican accent :)

So a German dude goes back to Germany for whatever reason. Some guy fesses up to his house and tells the maid he is from the dealership and that the German guy told him to pick up the car to get it serviced so it is 100% when he returns from Germany.

You are going to buy the car from that guy? I hope I am wrong but it happens a lot.  

I would get on a plane and go "down south" buy the car there in front of the registered address with photos of all involved do the DLT thing there and drive it back to BKK.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:35 AM, Ralf001 said:

Yeah not seeing the relevance to the question asked by the OP to be honest.

He’s trying to buy a used car. Honestly your only savior in the used car market in Thailand is the next guy will be as dumb as the original guy who bought it used. There’s no way to know if it’s been in a wreck. Most cars can’t be fixed after wrecks, but Thais “fix” them up by slapping some lipstick on the pig. 

imagine Thais doing complicated frame corrections and safety adjustments and electrical stuff that can happen in wrecks too

8 hours ago, Merrill said:

Thanks all, yes good advice I will inspect the Vehicle for accident damage and do the transfer at the DLT office.

As I understand it they are transporting the car up from the south and it is in the hands of a representative for the owner who is in `Germany. On a lighter note the rep has a German name and from the voicemail. "When you arrive in BKK call me" What !! wait in the arrival lounge? The chap has a Mexican accent 🙂

I’m no expert but simply trying to align the car may be a good way to tell. If a shop can’t align it and show you via documentation it’s all straight, it’s likely been in a wreck

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

He’s trying to buy a used car. Honestly your only savior in the used car market in Thailand is the next guy will be as dumb as the original guy who bought it used. There’s no way to know if it’s been in a wreck. Most cars can’t be fixed after wrecks, but Thais “fix” them up by slapping some lipstick on the pig. 

imagine Thais doing complicated frame corrections and safety adjustments and electrical stuff that can happen in wrecks too

And ?