Swiss national opts for jail after assaulting Thai woman in mall

webfact

Folks feeling there’s a conspiracy against farangs because of the spotlight on cases like this need their head read. We’ll all probably be looked on in a lesser light because of the actions of a few, but first and foremost what this nutcase has done is cowardly and disgusting. Let the prick consider his actions (hitting defenceless women is the lowest of the low) in a nice Thai prison for a few years, then send him right back to his home country along with a permanent Thai blacklist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know many people are worried how they will be perceived after these "incidents" with these lovely Swiss gentlemen, but I for one have yet to experience any kind of adverse reaction from the Thai people around me.

Most, if not all of them, have been very gentle until now. Unlike the man from Trang I am not a wife-beating scumbag, and most Thais seem to realize that, fortunately.

21 hours ago, cracker1 said:

"disobedience towards officials due to his lack of cooperation."

That is a very interesting charge, that I was unaware of ? No right to remain silent in Thailand ?

Interesting point, unsure on that specific. Perhaps, like say the USA, one is at least required to identify oneself when ordered to.  

This is one dangerous loose canon with a very short fuse. Total whack job. Should be charged with attempted murder and locked up for a long time. And pay a lot of money to the poor victim. 

MarcelV and the other posters, who cannot read. The woman who got beat up

is NOT the Swiss jerks wife. Read the original story, there are two names.

This forum does not need more village idi#ts. IMO, please learn to read the whole

story before commenting.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:07 AM, Modern Coding said:

Has he caused much bigger troubles back home, so that he prefers to stay in Thai jail??

Maybe his thinking could be if I stay here by my own accord they might think that's punishment enough and just let me go, Then again he has more chance of seeing pigs fly 

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, RobU said:

he may have run out of money and can't afford a ticket home so deportation would-be a gift

Another one who does not know how deportation works. The flight back home is not free, quite the opposite.

38 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Another one who does not know how deportation works. The flight back home is not free, quite the opposite.

Please forgive me🙏 I am so sorry. However if he has no money and no credit who pays for his deportation?

48 minutes ago, RobU said:

Please forgive me🙏 I am so sorry. However if he has no money and no credit who pays for his deportation?

Not having the money for a flight back and trying to achieve a deportation will probably lead to the worst possible outcome for anybody. Western embassies will not help, if you are convicted of a violent act, besides consular assictance during your time in IDC (however long that will take, I heard of literally years).

And this is what Ubonjoe wrote about this: https://aseannow.com/topic/1095179-who-pays-when-your-deported/

On 4/15/2019 at 3:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you cannot but a ticket out of the country after being deported you will stay in detention until you can buy it.

If deported for an overstay the fine would be paid off at 200 baht a day while in detention.

8 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Not having the money for a flight back and trying to achieve a deportation will probably lead to the worst possible outcome for anybody. Western embassies will not help, if you are convicted of a violent act, besides consular assictance during your time in IDC (however long that will take, I heard of literally years).

And this is what Ubonjoe wrote about this: https://aseannow.com/topic/1095179-who-pays-when-your-deported/

As I said in my hypothetical post that is exactly what he would want 

1 minute ago, RobU said:

As I said in my hypothetical post that is exactly what he would want 

To sit for years in IDC, on top of whatever conviction he gets, until he somehow gets the money he did not have before to pay for a flight extremely inflated in price?

What kind of sense does that make?

5 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

To sit for years in IDC, on top of whatever conviction he gets, until he somehow gets the money he did not have before to pay for a flight extremely inflated in price?

What kind of sense does that make?

Do you not get the message?  My post was hypothetical. Partially joking. You then began to insult me as though I was being serious. i.e 'another one who doesn't know'. Grow up. Just correcting me would have been enough. But you had to add a demeaning comment 

Edited by RobU

That branded store near me can get nasty with people not yielding and so many carts in a small space. I started going late at night when it's mostly empty. The first several times I came out of there just hating thai's. They don't yield or move half way like many foreigners are used to. I'm happy now just avoiding other shoppers. That could be part of what set the bloke off. No excuse for an attack of course.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RobU said:

Do you not get the message?  My post was hypothetical. Partially joking. You then began to insult me as though I was being serious. i.e 'another one who doesn't know'. Grow up

Is your 'grow up' also hypothetical, partially joking? You are quite the joker, it seems.

If not, let it then be known as fact, that with my wording "another one who doesn't know" I must have been very obviously joking in the same way as you, as *everybody* knows this already, no? Or are you maybe also one of those pesky adolescents?

Good that we cleared that up, like the future mature adults we both likely will be.

1 hour ago, jts-khorat said:

Is your 'grow up' also hypothetical, partially joking? You are quite the joker, it seems.

If not, let it then be known as fact, that with my wording "another one who doesn't know" I must have been very obviously joking in the same way as you, as *everybody* knows this already, no? Or are you maybe also one of those pesky adolescents?

Good that we cleared that up, like the future mature adults we both likely will be.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

56 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Desist the petty bickering please, move on.

You are right my apologies to other members and yourself

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:48 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 62 year old Swiss national who physically assaulted a local Thai woman in a mall, chose to remain in custody despite an offer of bail from his former Thai spouse. The Trang Provincial Court had set his bail at 50,000 baht (US$1,406), which his ex-wife was willing to pay.

However, the Swiss man, Dieter Matthias Straumann, rejected her assistance and expressed a desire to stay in jail. He further showed resistance by refusing to liaise with the Swiss embassy or his family.

Yesterday, the Tourist Police reported this incident, stating that in the event of Straumann’s temporary release during prosecution, they have asked immigration authorities to prevent him from leaving Thailand.

The suspect has been uncooperative, refusing to respond to police questioning or sign any document recognising the charges against him. He faces serious allegations of causing severe physical injury and disobedience towards officials due to his lack of cooperation.

The local police obtained a court order for his 12-day detention on Wednesday.

Straumann is accused of assaulting Natchanan Khikkham, a 58 year old woman, at a Big C store in the Mueang district. The assault occurred when Khikkham asked Straumann to be polite, leading to him pushing her and repeatedly punching her. Khikkham sustained a broken nose, swollen eyes and back, and had difficulty breathing as a result of the attack.

Kritpong Khikkham, the victim’s son, expressed the family’s intention to pursue all possible legal avenues against Straumann. He stated that Straumann had pressed his knee onto his mother’s neck and punched her approximately 20 times, indicating that an attempted murder charge should also be considered. His mother’s medical condition would require four to six weeks of treatment, as per a doctor’s assessment.

Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul emphasised the need for strict law enforcement in this case, given that a citizen was subjected to maltreatment. He voiced his concern over Straumann’s presence in Thailand.

“We do not want such a person in Thailand because he poses a danger to society, and he already used violence and injured another.”

Anutin further raised the question of revoking Straumann’s visa, reported Bangkok Post.

In related news, the Immigration Bureau revoked the visa of a Swiss man involved in assaulting a female Thai doctor in Phuket. He faced legal action and public backlash, leading to visa cancellation.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Thairath

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

What an idiot, lock him up n throw away the key, hopefully he will get his karma in the monkey house