Where to travel out of country for 2 days?

To get new extension I prefer to travel out of Thailand and back once a year.  Previously I was going to Hong Kong as I know the place and like to visit. But maybe this time could be some other place.  Recommendations?  I like  to see developed contemporary and safe city where I can go alone and not get bored also, if there would be second Bangkok I would go there. 

To get the second year on an OA Visa I have done Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Both were fine.  In my case all I had to do was just fly out and fly back in. Both cities were great.  Both flights were under 3 hours.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

To get the second year on an OA Visa I have done Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Both were fine.  In my case all I had to do was just fly out and fly back in. Both cities were great.  Both flights were under 3 hours.  

Even not stayed a night at destination?  Kuala Lumpur maybe option, Singapore I doubt because there is some draconian regulations about smoking and others.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Terek said:

To get new extension I prefer to travel out of Thailand and back once a year.  Previously I was going to Hong Kong as I know the place and like to visit. But maybe this time could be some other place.  Recommendations?  I like  to see developed contemporary and safe city where I can go alone and not get bored also, if there would be second Bangkok I would go there. 

Berlin, London, Madrid, Istanbul, aso😂

On 3/8/2024 at 1:21 PM, Terek said:

Singapore is clean, orderly and easy to go and come back.  I like the PI but many do not...Malaysia is reported to be nice too.  I have been to Jakarta, myanmar, VN, Japan, Taiwan, Korea.. though Myanmar is at war.  VN is quick but I am not familiar with their visas.  Too many choices...Good luck!

I agree with all that @sqwakvfr has said. If KL, there is a decent hotel right at the airport that I've used, but if booking overnight make sure you don't book the cheaper day rate. Places to eat in the airport, of course, a few minutes walk away on a dedicated pathway, as well as a restaurant in the hotel.

Penang (Georgetown).  Hotel:  High end but takes you back luxuriously in time:  Eastern & Oriental hotel.

Startlingly clean city after Thailand.  And architecturally easy on the eye (again, after Thailand). 

Cheapest flight: Air Asia from DMK.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree with all that @sqwakvfr has said. If KL, there is a decent hotel right at the airport that I've used, but if booking overnight make sure you don't book the cheaper day rate. Places to eat in the airport, of course, a few minutes walk away on a dedicated pathway, as well as a restaurant in the hotel.

I assume you mean the Tune hotel at klia2 which is owned by Air Asia and is also the hotel that the flight stewardess  stay at

KL is a favorite of ours, short and inexpensive flight with Air Asia, based in Malaysia. Clean, civilised, friendly people. Inexpensive hotels, if you want them. Been many times. 

33 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Beirut is nice this time of the year.

Yes, agreed.  Especially the suburb of Hezbollah.  Nice 'n peaceful, good neighbours.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Kyiv as spelt by Ukraine, also spelt as Kiev by Russia. (Wikipedia)

Oh dear...my weak joke fell on deaf ears. Sorry about that.

Not your fault if you've never heard of Moscow, Idaho.

Edited by blazes

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

Oh dear...my weak joke fell on deaf ears. Sorry about that.

Not your fault if you've never heard of Moscow, Idaho.

I have Zero Knowledge of the USA, nor do I want to. Guess the OP could try Paris though.:whistling: 

• Sad 1

I'd fly to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) in Vietnam. Great place for a change of scenery, you won't get bored. Many flights available throughout the day from both BKK and DMK.

Depending on your nationality, you might qualify for visa exempt entry to Vietnam, which is 45 days nowadays. Otherwise you'd need an eVisa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 10:40 AM, Ralf001 said:

There is some real tidy flange in South Korea... Hooker Hill is fun, you wont get bored there !

Korea would be interesting, but too cold now, and that Hill is closed as I know.