Why are these tap valves so hard to find?

giddyup

These kitchen tap valves are constantly failing and it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro. These fit the standard U shape kitchen taps, so hardly rare, but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them. You'd think I was asking for a part for the space shuttle.

valve.png

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

I just bought some on Lazada, though mine had an extra thread so came from China through Lazada. Just be careful as measurements differ. Look for the ad with measurements shown..

I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move.

Just now, giddyup said:

I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move.

Turn the mains off, pull the old valve apart, probably one of 2 "O" rings letting water bye. I took the rings off, carefully put a bit of glue in the ring groove, then put them back on. Bit of grease on the rings, reassemble..

I fixed mine a couple of times until it didn't work. An easy job...

• Like 1

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

Sometimes it's quicker to buy the whole bloody tap. 

Yes a pain in the ass but then job is done. 

I'd probably do more research on Lazada to get correct model and order 2 or 3 as spares. 

There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves.

Just now, giddyup said:

There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves.

Yep looks like HomePro is definitely on the radar. 

I'm just surprised the valves are giving out so often.  I was of the belief that these ceramic valves were the bee knees vs the old washer type. 

At least you don't have to turn the tap a thousand times to get the water out. But they should at least seal properly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Ive found for many things here I will often buy 2 for the inevitable at least that way I have time to get spare parts "if"  available.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

They sell those valves in some MR D.I.Y  stores  always worth scouring their isles to see the mind boggling wonders available.

I'm always reminded of Weird Al's   Hardware store song.

Edited by johng

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No. If you have replaced the whole tap, you have a working tap and two taps for the rubbish bin.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Its  too hi tech for  Thailand, most taps and plumbing fittings here are made to a price , a  very cheap price and are often junk.

I have American Standard taps in both bathrooms and neither have failed or drip in 14 years. I don't know if that is a premium brand, but they have performed faultlessly.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No. If you have replaced the whole tap, you have a working tap and two taps for the rubbish bin.

I begrudge throwing something away if it can be fixed cheaply and easily, in this case for a 50 baht valve.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have American Standard taps in both bathrooms and neither have failed or drip in 14 years. I don't know if that is a premium brand, but they have performed faultlessly.

The cartridges you show I believe are ceramic. these things dont suffer any muck easily.  I doubt American Standard are made  to an American standard if you know what I mean, Chrome  plating  seems to not last long either, often bubbling  up , never seen that in the UK

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The cartridges you show I believe are ceramic. these things dont suffer any muck easily.  I doubt American Standard are made  to an American standard if you know what I mean, Chrome  plating  seems to not last long either, often bubbling  up , never seen that in the UK

Well, they show no pitting or leaking in 14 years, so the quality has to be better than OK.

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro

That reminds me when I bought a vacuum cleaner in HomePro.

Sometime later I needed new bags for that cleaner and I went back to the same HomePro to buy the bags.

They didn't have the bags, no bags for any brand, like: just buy a new one.

At the end I bought new bags at Electrolux which is near my home. TiT.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them

In general, I have good experience asking the motorcycle taxi riders who are everywhere (at least in my area). They often know where to buy such things in the area.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

In general, I have good experience asking the motorcycle taxi riders who are everywhere (at least in my area). They often know where to buy such things in the area.

I don't think this type of valve (cartridge) is familiar to Thais in my area. Most of those types of taps are used in falang kitchens.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, they show no pitting or leaking in 14 years, so the quality has to be better than OK.

Most  likely  but I still find a lot of  stuff here junk. I have some Hans Grohe bought from Germany here in a box  for a  house I never  built, Ill install them somewhere one day

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Yep looks like HomePro is definitely on the radar. 

I'm just surprised the valves are giving out so often.  I was of the belief that these ceramic valves were the bee knees vs the old washer type. 

At least you don't have to turn the tap a thousand times to get the water out. But they should at least seal properly. 

I have my doubts if they are actually ceramic, just looks like white plastic to me.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Time for some maintenance. Or just replace the Tap with a new one, they are all coming very cheap.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't think this type of valve (cartridge) is familiar to Thais in my area. Most of those types of taps are used in falang kitchens.

They are all similar threads..My taps cost a lot of money 17 years back, porcelain with brass/gunmetal internals, the valves I bought from China are identical, my guess is all manufacturers probably use the same valve. I bought a pair with the extra thread, delivered to my door from China cost around 180 baht...:clap2:

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have my doubts if they are actually ceramic, just looks like white plastic to me.

Ceramic.

At Lazada you can even get the tiny bits separately.

Order two dozens or shipment will be more expensive than the goods 😄

image.png.279849236c6a1b2f2b11821ad1f1e0b9.png

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, transam said:

They are all similar threads..My taps cost a lot of money 17 years back, porcelain with brass/gunmetal internals, the valves I bought from China are identical, my guess is all manufacturers probably use the same valve. I bought a pair with the extra thread, delivered to my door from China cost around 180 baht...:clap2:

The two I got from China had a shorter thread and I couldn't get it to catch on the tap threads. I didn't want to force it and strip threads.

• Agree 1

Spare parts at the usual home stores?

Good luck. Never seen such tiny bits.

I guess a good walk in Bangkok Chinatown could help.

I have ordered such stuff at Lazada.

BE AWARE:

there are at least four different size parts looking similar.

The joke as such: even the diameter of the knurling wheel(?) is in two different sizes.

Had one too big for the handle.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ceramic.

At Lazada you can even get the tiny bits separately.

Order two dozens or shipment will be more expensive than the goods 😄

image.png.279849236c6a1b2f2b11821ad1f1e0b9.png

I did buy the kits originally but it's nearly as cheap, and less fiddly, to buy the whole cartridge.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Turn the mains off, pull the old valve apart, probably one of 2 "O" rings letting water bye. I took the rings off, carefully put a bit of glue in the ring groove, then put them back on. Bit of grease on the rings, reassemble..

I fixed mine a couple of times until it didn't work. An easy job...

Mr.DIY sells O rings of different sizes in a packet. You might get lucky. Not you actually the other technically challenged ones