Singaporean motorist lashes out at Thai police officer over fine

webfact

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

what is the photo alleged to be showing, other than a recent cheap haircut?   Is it supposed to show injuries of some sort?

There is swollen welt behind the ear.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well, coming from Singapore he thought he could relax for the first time in his life, let down his (short short) hair, bend the rules, laugh a lot and vote for the Communist Party ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

As per local traffic laws, Lim was required to pay a fine for his violations. The amount of the fine was not revealed. According to the law, Lim should face a fine of up to 2,000 baht for failing to wear a helmet and up to 1,000 baht for riding without a licence.

3,000 baht in fines. How do Thai people afford to pay these fines when normal incomes of Thais are between 10k-20k per month? You see so many Thais never wearing helmets when they ride.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

what is the photo alleged to be showing, other than a recent cheap haircut?   Is it supposed to show injuries of some sort?

The cop wants to show us how well his barber tapered his hair. Its a fashion statement and he may be one of the 'Fashion Police!

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

3,000 baht in fines. How do Thai people afford to pay these fines when normal incomes of Thais are between 10k-20k per month? You see so many Thais never wearing helmets when they ride.

They don't afford them... And thats why they continue to ride without helmets (and also without a licence in a lot of cases)... 

The BiB are sympathetic...   if they do stop a Thai person without a licence or helmet, they let them go for 100 baht and tell them to 'be good and get their licence'...     that should be incentive enough - but it appears its not. 

If the fines were consistent applied all the time - the 'no helmet wearing' issue would be resolved very quickly (both Thai and toursits)... 

If the BiB were known to be more honest but strict, tourists would think twice about riding without a licence. 

I suspect the BiB mostly want people to ride without helmets and a license - its an easy money maker for them when they can be bothered to set up a check-point... 

... with so many people around not wearing helmets, I'm just surprised more aren't caught every day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

The cop wants to show us how well his barber tapered his hair. Its a fashion statement and he may be one of the 'Fashion Police!

I bet his mum cut it for him

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve generally done ok with Thai police, but was in Chiang Mai many moons ago, bike had run out of fuel so was pushing it to gas station. Cop stopped me and tried to fine me for not wearing a helmet. I refused and said you’ve got to be kidding, citing it was boiling hot and I was doing about 0.5kmph. He let me off but insisted I wear the helmet. All the while myriad Thais were passing by without helmets, riding illegally etc. What the Singaporean did was OTT and yes he was in the wrong, but Thai police can at times be real stinkers. 

3k fine is alot and pushing it for one stop when so many thais are riding without a helmet, normally they combine fines and give you a 800thb- 1000 thb fine

They got greedy here it seems 

• Confused 1

Got fined recently….only B100…..for driving on a section of road "no one was supposed to be driving on"???……It was a normal road, no road works, no signs, plenty of traffic using it…..just smiled and paid.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

As per local traffic laws, Lim was required to pay a fine for his violations. The amount of the fine was not revealed. According to the law, Lim should face a fine of up to 2,000 baht for failing to wear a helmet and up to 1,000 baht for riding without a licence.

3,000 baht in fines.

Up to, not mandated at that level.  There is room for the officer's discretion.

9 minutes ago, hydraides said:

3k fine is alot and pushing it for one stop when so many thais are riding without a helmet, normally they combine fines and give you a 800thb- 1000 thb fine

It was not reported that he was fined B3,000.                   

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

They don't afford them... And thats why they continue to ride without helmets (and also without a licence in a lot of cases)... 

The BiB are sympathetic...   if they do stop a Thai person without a licence or helmet, they let them go for 100 baht and tell them to 'be good and get their licence'...     that should be incentive enough - but it appears its not. 

If the fines were consistent applied all the time - the 'no helmet wearing' issue would be resolved very quickly (both Thai and toursits)... 

If the BiB were known to be more honest but strict, tourists would think twice about riding without a licence. 

I suspect the BiB mostly want people to ride without helmets and a license - its an easy money maker for them when they can be bothered to set up a check-point... 

... with so many people around not wearing helmets, I'm just surprised more aren't caught every day.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

We don't know how much the fines were.  The article only stated the maximum total for both offenses.  We here are assuming he was charged the maximum for both.

Problem was he allegedly threw the money at the desk officer, likely not the copper that wrote the tickets.  He was asked to leave, whereupon he allegedly attacked the officer.

I can't believe this fellow is from Singapore which practices strict gum control.  Singapore, where gum chewing and spitting is forbidden, and folks tend to stay in line.  Perhaps he's actually Swiss?

• Haha 1

2024 is a year for elections in several parts of the world, so brace yourselves. It will be the year of constant whataboutisms in the news & on social media.

Even more so than normal. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Only a 1/3 wear helmets. It is a joke.

Agree 100%.....       IF authorities were serious about resolving the high road fatality rates, they'd be able to do so very quickly by dealing with the helmet issue.

Authorities were unwavering in their efficiency to get everyone to wear masks...  they could do the same with helmets - I'm inclined to believe they just don't care at all. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1