Taking 3 small tubs of nam prik into UK via Heathrow

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.

What is 3 4 oz in metric?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Come on... really ??   (ask on here instead of a very simple google search)..

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 16.09.09.png

So is that fluid oz or oz by weight?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So is that fluid oz or oz by weight?

Fluid Oz... because its related to the 'Carry on regulation' of 100ml which has been around for well over a decade in pretty much every nation...

But, I suspect you know that and being deliberately ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fluid Oz... because its related to the 'Carry on regulation' of 100ml which has been around for well over a decade in pretty much every nation...

But, I suspect you know that and being deliberately ridiculous. 

Can you find something else to do. You are being annoying and unhelpful. You obviously don't know that many airlines have changed the liquid quantities

Edited by kwilco
  • Agree 1

Nam prik is a paste...so how do UK customs classify it?

Could easily be classified as a Gel...   In which case it falls under the Gels and Liquids category. 

But thats not the issue, neither is it the question. 

The question is if Chilli oil / Chilli paste can be brought into the UK or not.

This question is clearly asked from the perspective of 'prohibited and restricted imports' (i.e to prevent foreign fauna, seeds, pests etc).... its not from the perspective of carrying a liquid in hand carry on an airline. 

Posted (edited)

So my nam prik is in 5 tubs (not three) in one "gift pack". The weight is 0.3 kgs .

It looks as if the product is acceptable. 

But whether what state it is regarded as I wouldn't know, so should be OK in check in bags?

Edited by kwilco

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could easily be classified as a Gel...   In which case it falls under the Gels and Liquids category. 

But thats not the issue, neither is it the question. 

The question is if Chilli oil / Chilli paste can be brought into the UK or not.

This question is clearly asked from the perspective of 'prohibited and restricted imports' (i.e to prevent foreign fauna, seeds, pests etc).... its not from the perspective of carrying a liquid in hand carry on an airline. 

Can you go away please? You are very irritating. You are now only addressing the question because you realise you didn't before and now only making suppositions.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Can you fund something else to do. You are being annoying and unhelpful. You obviously don't know that many airlines have changed the liquid quantities

In that case - ask which airport etc (which you didn't) - so now you are back-pedalling because I've called you out your irrelevant silliness. 

You are deliberately muddying the waters with irrelevant questions and you know it - the Op is not about 'carry on limits'....  

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So my nam prik is in 5 tiubs (not three) in one "gift pack". The weight is 0.3 kgs .

It looks as if the product is acceptable. 

But whether what state it is regarded as I wouldn't know so should be OK in check in bags?

Pack it in your checked luggage like any normal person.... and stop being silly trying to back pedal on your earlier ridiculousness. 

But first, find out if its legal to carry into the UK in the first place - which is exactly what the Op is asking. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Can you go away please? You are very irritating. You are now only addressing the question because you realise you didn't before and now only making suppositions.

No.. you've been called out on your facetiousness and are now back-pedalling like an immature child trying to claim a high ground after being called out for their juvenile behavior... 

And next you'll ask that I stop targeting you...  Don't worry, I'm not targeting you at all... I'm targeting the dumb comments that anyone may make to muddy the waters of a simple question and simple thread...  

Can Chilly Oil / Chilly Paste be legally carried into the UK ??? .... 

If this was NZ or Australia - I'd say no, airing on the side of caution. 

But the UK is a little more relaxed about these issues.  My Wife has carried Chilly Oil / Paste into the UK, but I'm not entirely sure if this is legal. I suspect the worst that would happen if stopped and checked is the paste / oil is confiscated (whereas in Aus or NZ it could attract a fine).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. you've been called out on tour facetiousness... and are now back-pedalling like an immature child trying to claim a high ground after being called out for their juvenile behavior... 

And next you'll ask that I stop targeting you...  Don't worry, I'm not targeting you at all... I'm targeting the dumb comments that anyone may make to muddy the waters of a simple question and simple thread...  

Can Chilly Oil / Chilly Paste be legally carried into the UK.... 

If this was NZ or Australia - I'd say no, airing on the side of caution. 

But the UK is a little more relaxed about these issues.  My Wife has carried Chilly Oil / Paste into the UK, but I'm not entirely sure if this is legal. I suspect the worst that would happen if stopped and checked is the paste / oil is confiscated (whereas in Aus or NZ it could attract a fine).

Of all the countries in the world, Australia is probably the strictest when it comes to importation of foodstuffs, and the fines can be eye-watering.

I am wondering why the OP would not simply buy nam prik in the UK, with such a polyglot nation it should be available.

Chilli is chilli, it's not as if there is any subtlety to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Up to 1 kilo of shrimp paste used to be allowed in the UK so expect no problem. Be sure to seal it well and pack in checked baggage. As @Martin71 say's worst is that it'll just get confiscated but highly unlikely to be an issue anyway. Sniffer dog got my ex-wife on arrival at Heathrow some 15 years ago her case was full of Thai curry and chilli pastes etc. That's how I know 1 kilo of shrimp paste was OK at the time as the agent said so with no problems.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Of all the countries in the world, Australia is probably the strictest when it comes to importation of foodstuffs, and the fines can be eye-watering.

I am wondering why the OP would not simply buy nam prik in the UK, with such a polyglot nation it should be available.

I don't think you really know much about nam prik. The kind I've got is a particular branded type from the South. There are so many varieties it is mind-boggling.

As a 2rd gen banana-bender, I'm well aware of Australia's  restrictions.

Of course with the UK Brexit has thrown a spanner in works.

Edited by kwilco

Just now, kwilco said:

I don't think you really know much about nam prik. The kind I've got is a particular branded type from the South. There are so many varieties it is mind-boggling.

Why should I want to? Heat is heat, no?

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There very much is. Its not just a chili paste its made with several other ingredients depending on the type you want. You can bring it to the states well sealed. My wife brings it to friends and our daughters. I am hoping you mean nam prik pao.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think thats kind of the point... Chilli is not just chilli....   in the same way rice is not just rice....  

Thai's have their specific preferences, I get that....   Wife certainly has her favourate for Chilli sauces etc....

I have my favourite Nam-Phrik-Ong....

Its the same as us having a preference for a specific type of BBQ sauce etc... or specific mustard etc... 

.... We get plenty of threads on here asking questions such as... 'where to guy Colemans English mustard" or "where to get Colemans mint sauce" etc etc... 

So, I can see why someone may want to carry their own, particularly as a small bit goes a long way. 

That said: Given the ambiguity of whether or not it is legal to carry Chilli oil / paste into the UK, as you pointed out, just buy it in the UK... 

OR.. as the Op is doing, double check for legality. 

2 minutes ago, marin said:

There very much is. Its not just a chili paste its made with several other ingredients depending on the type you want. You can bring it to the states well sealed. My wife brings it to friends and our daughters. I am hoping you mean nam prik pao.

I'm afraid my palate does not function at the level of you connoisseurs. The effect on my intestinal tract shows as much differentiation as having molten bismuth poured on my skin, compared to molten lead.

• Haha 1

Whatever the OP decides to do, I hope he'll post back with his result.

More of an American thing than a British thing, I'd be concerned they'd stop it just because it's so easy to package drugs to look like food.  $100 worth of sealing equipment and another $100 worth of printed pouches, and boom.

Edit:  BTW, it wasn't always like that.

Edited by impulse

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No...  Heat is not just 'heat' - I really thought a long timer here would be very aware of that. 

As Kwilco mentioned, there is more to it than just heat. 

I am wondering when someone will catch on to my extracting the urine.

Just now, Lacessit said:

I am wondering when someone will catch on to my extracting the urine.

Perhaps when you start using emojis or language that highlights such  - I really thought a long timer here would be very aware of that... :whistling: 

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Whatever the OP decides to do, I hope he'll post back with his result.

Yeah, it would be good to know the legality of carrying such items - its difficult to dig out specifics from the websites which are vague. 

Wife takes a bag of food bag to the UK... usually (about 8 kgs or so), dried stuff, noodles, spices, chilly power, chilly paste, some curry pastes etc... 

It keeps her happy - she doesn't want a BBQ & Salad every day in the summer... but she's started making BBQ's a lot more interesting with her additions... 

The same at Christmas - Bubble and Squeak on Boxing day made with Larb... *(outstanding !!!).. 

We're back twice per year and never get stopped - but thats kind of besides the point, we could be, so knowing the exact legality of doing this stuff is good info - with so much travel, we've just become very complacent.