Do you like cheese?

theblether

Australian cheese is yuck. Thats all they really have here in Siem Reap that is affordable.

Id lick a picture of Prince Harry for a hunk of real Stilton

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Brit here, eaten cheese all my life, and agree Mainland Vintage Cheddar is as good as any I've had.

265 for 500gm in Makro, or 250bht for 250gm everywhere else.

Tue enough. Another popular go-to brand in the UK supermarkets is Cathedral, which is available here (Villa market). There's also Bega which is Australian and their mature one, (black pack) is very sharp. Seen that in Tops and Big C.

2 minutes ago, zhounan said:

I am Italian so cheese is very important for me. There's a lady in Samut Prakan that produces very good fresh goat cheese, really not bad.

The problem is that Thailand climate is an obstacle for cheese good preservation.

I find that these help immensely.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/haier-29-hr-80-i2410973660-s8272970549.html

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But that didn't stop you subsequently rambling on about how rubbish you think Australian cheese is.

But nobody has suggested it is 'the best' but it is what some less prickly people consider their favourite.

Yes, I think Australian cheese isn't great, certainly not crap like Bega. I'm entitled to MY opinion, contrary to what you may think.

Turns out the cheese originally mentioned is from New Zealand, not Australia so my point stands. Think I also said that there may be some good local producers who produce something half decent.

I'll check with you next time to ensure any future comment complies with your stringent guidelines.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Tue enough. Another popular go-to brand in the UK supermarkets is Cathedral, which is available here (Villa market). There's also Bega which is Australian and their mature one, (black pack) is very sharp. Seen that in Tops and Big C.

Mainland Vintage (in Thailand) is way better than Cathedral (that I would regularly eat in the UK).

Stronger taste, and slightly crumbly 

I am not getting into a pissing contest about what's better, stronger, crumblier, etc.. Just stating some alternatives that some people may find acceptable. Mainland's on my list but I tend to wait till ANY of those three brands mentioned are on special and buy that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, opinions are OK but next time, try and keep your condescending 'petal' and 'precious' comments on other people's opinions where they belong.

In your shorts.

With your hand.

You want to try that yourself FW.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

NZ is indeed where Mainland cheese originates.NZ has 5m dairy cows, more cows than people, and is a major exporter of dairy products. In fact powdered milk is exported to Thailand where its re constituted into liquid milk. Thailand has no where near enough dairy cows or decent pasture to satisfy demands.

Lotus's, Hang dong Road, recently started stocking Mainland cheese and its flying off the shelves. Makro the same. 

Australia does have some decent cheese under the label BEGA which is a rural town south of Sydney .Been produced for decades. Its also available locally but a limited range for some reason.

Dao Cheeso is locally produced with the sales outlet at the Hideaway Cafe, off Hang Dong Rd, cheddar ,feta etc. The cheese making is done opposite the cafe, been there for a long time

In our village Mooban Wangtan, off Paeded Rd, San Phak Wan, we have a increasingly, well respected, cheese maker Jartisan Cheesery, address 4B Soi 1. The range of available cheese is very interesting and received great reviews.

As well as cheese there is a range of bread baked every Saturday morning, well worth a visit.

Jartisan's cheese is also sold at the new supermarket behind Airport Plaza.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

NZ is indeed where Mainland cheese originates.NZ has 5m dairy cows, more cows than people, and is a major exporter of dairy products. In fact powdered milk is exported to Thailand where its re constituted into liquid milk. Thailand has no where near enough dairy cows or decent pasture to satisfy demands.

Lotus's, Hang dong Road, recently started stocking Mainland cheese and its flying off the shelves. Makro the same. 

Australia does have some decent cheese under the label BEGA which is a rural town south of Sydney .Been produced for decades. Its also available locally but a limited range for some reason.

Dao Cheeso is locally produced with the sales outlet at the Hideaway Cafe, off Hang Dong Rd, cheddar ,feta etc. The cheese making is done opposite the cafe, been there for a long time

In our village Mooban Wangtan, off Paeded Rd, San Phak Wan, we have a increasingly, well respected, cheese maker Jartisan Cheesery, address 4B Soi 1. The range of available cheese is very interesting and received great reviews.

As well as cheese there is a range of bread baked every Saturday morning, well worth a visit.

Bega cheese is basic mainstream stuff. Try Wicked Cheese if you want good stuff.

11 hours ago, Keeps said:

If you think Australian cheese is the best you have had then I am lost for words. There may be the odd local producer who can muster something half decent but the majority of it is like melted ceiling tiles. One thing the Aussies are not renowned for is their cheese (not the edible kind anyway).

Perhaps the excellent bread is detracting from the taste of the cheese.

I suppose Aussie wines are no good either?

Edited by giddyup
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.327ee328f37e93183ccff7edd90d3e0f.png

In my life never I will eat a cheese like this and even those in the photos above.

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:

In my life never I will eat a cheese like this and even those in the photos above.

Blue cheese tastes like a rat died in the cheese.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

That's why no one except interested people likes English cuisine 😁

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Keeps said:

If you think Australian cheese is the best you have had then I am lost for words. There may be the odd local producer who can muster something half decent but the majority of it is like melted ceiling tiles. One thing the Aussies are not renowned for is their cheese (not the edible kind anyway).

Perhaps the excellent bread is detracting from the taste of the cheese.

I disagree.

Like puck2 I too eat the Mainland Vintage Cheddar.

At just over 200 baht for 250g it is not only very tasty, but also good value.

Just as good, if not better then the Waitrose Extra Mature British Cheddar from Tops. Which is almost double the price of the Mainland one.

Having left the UK over 30 years ago, my memories of decent cheddar in the UK are very distant but I definitely rate the Mainland Vintage.

It is the one in the yellow/gold wrapping. Their other offerings are pretty sad though.

As a footnote, my favourite was the Mexican spicy cheddar that TOPS used to sell. Sadly no longer available

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Brit here, eaten cheese all my life, and agree Mainland Vintage Cheddar is as good as any I've had.

265 for 500gm in Makro, or 250bht for 250gm everywhere else.

209 baht in BigC last week here on Samui.

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

I am Italian so cheese is very important for me. There's a lady in Samut Prakan that produces very good fresh goat cheese, really not bad.

The problem is that Thailand climate is an obstacle for cheese good preservation.

I once tried Casu Martzu in Basilicata.

Mainland Vintage Cheddar from Makro is the best value for money. I occasionally have some Danablu to give my taste buds a real jolt.

Personal opinion, King Island Blue Brie is the emperor of cheeses. I have never seen it in Thailand, it would be insanely expensive.

Photo is a cheese shop in St. Andrews, Scotland. It has duckboards with running water underneath, to keep the cheeses moist.

Stepping into the shop, I got high on the aromas alone.

cheeseinscotland.jpg

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

209 baht in BigC last week here on Samui.

Mainland cheese here ( Ayutthaya ) also 209 baht per 250 gr , often reduced to 189 baht.

My best option for taste/price is 2kg of Anchor cheddar at Makro for 770 baht.

The most readily available here is Horeca brand, very bland imho.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Cheese and wine produced in Thailand is poor quality because the Thai Government won't allow foreign winemakers and cheesemakers to impart their knowledge to locals, it's the old story of face.

One of the best cheesemakers in Australia is/was Fred Leppin, of Top Paddock Cheeses. He was German, still had the very thick accent.

I would be very surprised if there was any laboratory in Thailand dedicated to cheese or wine analysis. One can't improve food products without data.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I disagree.

Like puck2 I too eat the Mainland Vintage Cheddar.

At just over 200 baht for 250g it is not only very tasty, but also good value.

Just as good, if not better then the Waitrose Extra Mature British Cheddar from Tops. Which is almost double the price of the Mainland one.

Having left the UK over 30 years ago, my memories of decent cheddar in the UK are very distant but I definitely rate the Mainland Vintage.

It is the one in the yellow/gold wrapping. Their other offerings are pretty sad though.

As a footnote, my favourite was the Mexican spicy cheddar that TOPS used to sell. Sadly no longer available

Thought Mainland cheese was from New Zealand? Apologies if I am mistaken.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Very good list of where to go in Chiang Mai.   I  remember Dao Cheeso and their cheese was OK for a locally produced product.

They had a smoked cheddar that was particularly nice on a burger. 

Cheers for the heads up

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Blue cheese is excellent. Crumbled over a thin crust haggis pizza, it is absolutely sublime.

There is a 'famous' French cheese called Vieux-Boulogne that smells like a rat died in your car air-conditioning though.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not?

You never know.... but you won't miss it, it says "made in CM from local ingredients" and different kinds, one I like is "Bergkaese type" (mountain cheese style).

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Cheese and wine produced in Thailand is poor quality because the Thai Government won't allow foreign winemakers and cheesemakers to impart their knowledge to locals, it's the old story of face.

One of the best cheesemakers in Australia is/was Fred Leppin, of Top Paddock Cheeses. He was German, still had the very thick accent.

I would be very surprised if there was any laboratory in Thailand dedicated to cheese or wine analysis. One can't improve food products without data.

Partly what you say, partly also what the poster you were answering to said. Climate is indeed not ideal. But up here North not too bad. To allow foreigners is one way, another way is when Thais go to Europe to learn, it's the case of the cheese I was talking about at GO in my initial post.