Do you like cheese?

theblether

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

I once tried Casu Martzu in Basilicata.

Sure? It is actually from Sardinia. The one with live worms inside, excellent. In the spirit of EU domination, it is now officially illegal to sell. Officially.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Sure? It is actually from Sardinia. The one with live worms inside, excellent. In the spirit of EU domination, it is now officially illegal to sell. Officially.

I bring a selection of hard cheeses along with Olives and Salami from Italy. Lasts me a month or so.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Keeps said:

Not at all petal, so don't be so precious. I can't help it if you are not bright enough to even know where the cheese you are eating comes from (or even spell cheese correctly in your above post). I was merely commenting that in my humble opinion, in the main, cheese from Australia isn't generally considered the best. Some Aussies may even agree with this. Your post alluded to the fact that it was Australian cheese. 

Is that ok with you?

Your comment confirms, that you are not able to read and understand what I had written. It's your mental problem, not mine.

My experience: if people dont have enough mg in their brain, then they start looking at write errors, conceiling their understanding or knowledge!

• Confused 2

I've tried the Allowrie cheese and frankly it's nothing to write home about. 

The processed slides I find the worst however lots of locals use it for cheeseburgers.  But then most of those 'fake or plastic' cheese slices are terrible. 

Their butter isn't much better unfortunately. 

Emborg I find is a good brand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

The Mainland Vintage cheddar is actually not that bad but you're probably right on Australian cheeses in general. 

All the cheese I ate growing up in Sydney tasted perfectly fine. Coon cheese was mum's go to for cheese on toast, lovely stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

All the cheese I ate growing up in Sydney tasted perfectly fine. Coon cheese was mum's go to for cheese on toast, lovely stuff.

Didn't they try and change the name of that cheese a few years back? 

The indigenous locals got a tad upset over the name or something. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Ahhh I can answer my own question thanks to Mr Google. 

Formerly  known as Coon cheese (Or Tasty in Australia).  From 2021 the name was changed to Cheer cheese. 

It was probably inevitable that the name was changed but the new name is stupid and it also erases history. The cheese was named after an American cheesemaker, Edward William Coon of Philadelphia, nothing to do with racism or any other perceived injustice.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, puck2 said:

1. In my comment I added "???". That means I wasn't sure, if from Australia. I checked the package and could not see, where it comes from.

2. I guess you know better than me, which cheese I like most. It doesn't depend on where it comes from, but only on my OWN taste. Or do I have to ask you, which cheess I like most :smile:

It is a good New Zealand cheese and the one I buy most here........Mainland Vintage Cheese, aged up to 24 months. I also buy the occasional French Brie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It is a good New Zealand cheese and the one I buy most here........Mainland Vintage Cheese, aged up to 24 months. I also buy the occasional French Brie.

Bega Cheese from Bega, Sth Coast NSW, Aust, great dairy country, has many awards, is often in Big CX well priced and I found better than Mainland overall. I knew the headcheesemaker at one time, he originally was a horsebreaker, horsebreeder in the highcountry of Vic. 

Jartisann

Hang Dong, inside the Moo Ban (subdivision) named Wangtan Village.

Their address is 242 st.4B soi 1 Wangtan village Moo 3 Sanpakwan. It is a gated community but the guards will wave you through the front gate. Their shop is shown on Google Maps. They are open from 10 a.m. To 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Their website is https://jartisann-the-village-store.business.site and you can find them on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/JartisannCheeserie/

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:23 PM, puck2 said:

1. In my comment I added "???". That means I wasn't sure, if from Australia. I checked the package and could not see, where it comes from.

2. I guess you know better than me, which cheese I like most. It doesn't depend on where it comes from, but only on my OWN taste. Or do I have to ask you, which cheess I like most :smile:

I largely agree. I have found the Mainland cheeses to be quite acceptable, and I come from a family that started the Grafton, VT. cheese co. Silly to try to import that however excellent!

On 3/16/2024 at 10:24 PM, ikke1959 said:

Dutchcheese4you in Hua Hin has several kinds of really good cheese products.. sausages and other .. Only online orders but quick deliveries. I am happy with them as Makro Hua Hin has got rid of all the cheeses except Mozarella and Parmasan

You say the Makro no longer has Gouda Cheese, but isn't it because of the same reason 'Dutchcheese4you' gives, namely because of transit problems in the Red Sea.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:34 PM, arithai12 said:

Thai normally do not know what is cheese. If you want the real thing(s), there are imported cheese in many places, including Tops and Rimping, but they usually cost a lot. Why Not (restaurant) doubles as food import shop and you can find many kinds of italian, spanish, french cheese which you can buy by the weight you want. Again not very cheap, given that they are imported, but at least you buy direct so less expensive. To be fair, there is another italian import shop near the BigC supercenter, but I haven't been there in a long time and forget the name. They also have direct sale of imported food incl. cheese.

Recently I found that GO Wholesale offers some Thai-made, actually CM-made, very decent cheese at a decent price. I won't name the brand, but it will be easy to find.

Thai normally do not know what is cheese. 

Most probably because cheese is not in their standard Cuisine. Similarly, many people on this planet might not know what a good/bad wine, whiskey etc is. Are all people familiar with the Chinese food which is consumed by over 1.4 billion people?

Food is something very specific to each human or group. What is good to one might be unpalatable to another. For example, I don't like to be even near the smelly cheeses however expensive they are, nor would I touch Caviar! But I love cheddar which some classify as thrash! Tastes can be 'acquired' if one pleases - but it does not mean that eating this is hi-so and not eating that is lo-so!!!

Just my 2 cents!

On 3/17/2024 at 6:01 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

Too late! 

There are a few varieties of the Mainland cheese here now. 

Vintage is the strongest cheddar followed by Tasty.  Noble has a nutty flavour whereas Edam is tasteless (IMO). 

Like everyone has said,  good cheese ain't cheap.  The Mainland cheese is dearer here than NZ but not by much. 

In NZ a 1kg block of Tasty is around NZ$18-24 or 395-524 baht so 265 baht for 500gm of Vintage at Makro is pretty good value. 

They are great cheeses for toppings to. Either grated or melted on top.  Damn I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Off to Makro now... 

Vintage is the strongest cheddar followed by Tasty.  Noble has a nutty flavour whereas Edam is tasteless (IMO). 

How many types of Cheddar are there, and the difference?

And where does the Kraft Cheddar Cheese fit in? 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:47 AM, Dolf said:

Blue cheese tastes like a rat died in the cheese.

Maybe if you stopped eating rats your taste buds would develop. Blue cheese is quite varied and vast btw. 

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:45 PM, Keeps said:

If you think Australian cheese is the best you have had then I am lost for words. There may be the odd local producer who can muster something half decent but the majority of it is like melted ceiling tiles. One thing the Aussies are not renowned for is their cheese (not the edible kind anyway).

Perhaps the excellent bread is detracting from the taste of the cheese.

So you Say.

When i first came to AUS  1971   I worked in a cheese factory down in Girgarre Victoria  We made the cheese to an Dutch Recipe   Gouda cheese and the famous Danish Blue cheese made from Pure cream and  the antibiotic penicillin and we made also Feta cheese.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

So you Say.

When i first came to AUS  1971   I worked in a cheese factory down in Girgarre Victoria  We made the cheese to an Dutch Recipe   Gouda cheese and the famous Danish Blue cheese made from Pure cream and  the antibiotic penicillin and we made also Feta cheese.

I therefore stand corrected and apologise profusely to all Aussie cheese connoisseurs. Seems like my sweeping comment regarding Australian cheese was incorrect and unfair. I stand by my comment on Bega though....😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:43 PM, theblether said:

Do you like cheese? where do you buy your favoured cheese in Chiang Mai? 

Yes I do, very much so! When I lived in North Thailand (Lanna) I used to buy Cheddar and Edam (both my favourites) in Tops or Rimping - as stated in another post.  Whilst visiting Thailand from Cambodia recently, I discovered in Ubon MAKRO a very nice and acceptable 1kg block of Cheddar cheese produced in Thailand!

On 3/17/2024 at 10:10 AM, Dolf said:

Italy has the best cheese.

Pretty well every country in Europe have their own,very good cheese, in some countries like the UK or France there are dozens...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/17/2024 at 6:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Brit here, eaten cheese all my life, and agree Mainland Vintage Cheddar is as good as any I've had.

Another Brit here agrees with you.. not always on the shelves though round here. Instead there is one branded I think Taylor's. Not even half as good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:15 AM, jij said:

Jartisann

Hang Dong, inside the Moo Ban (subdivision) named Wangtan Village.

Their address is 242 st.4B soi 1 Wangtan village Moo 3 Sanpakwan. It is a gated community but the guards will wave you through the front gate. Their shop is shown on Google Maps. They are open from 10 a.m. To 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Their website is https://jartisann-the-village-store.business.site and you can find them on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/JartisannCheeserie/

The link is broken, however, I found them on Facebook. I wasn't aware of that business at all, thanks very much. 

Also, there are some other good tips on this thread. Thanks very much. 

I encourage the Google search … Chiang Mai cheese factory. I haven’t tried their cheeses so cannot give a critique but it might be educational to visit.