Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

4 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

There are no excuses. And the NZs will have many... Didn't know we had to stop, didn't understand the offices commands, felt threatened, blah blah blah... You failed to stop, and when you did the cops were pissed, things got heated (no doubt)... And then the assault on a police officer, taking his weapon. Anyone willing to confront law enforcement at this level deserves the maximum punishment. You don't need to like the police, but if Thailand doesn't get a handle on this soon, something far worse is likely to happen (eventually). Sadly, you can now expect far less gracious behavior from Thai police towards foreigners. You want western style law enforcement, well that's what you will get.

"You want western style law enforcements ...."

Yesss please! Why?

■ Checkpoints would have to cordon off kilometres of road to accommodate all helmet less riders, no license, under-age, 3/4 on a scooter and 20 on the back of pick-up trucks, speeding motorists ....... 

■ Road traffic would be at least halved in a week - no gridlocks, plenty of parking space, and more importantly far less carnage on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Yesss please! Why?

■ Checkpoints would have to cordon off kilometres of road to accommodate all helmet less riders, no license, under-age, 3/4 on a scooter and 20 on the back of pick-up trucks, speeding motorists ....... 

■ Road traffic would be at least halved in a week - no gridlocks, plenty of parking space, and more importantly far less carnage on the road.

And the instant thumping when you fail to comply to any of the simplest commands, resist or otherwise talkback #westernstyle 

7 hours ago, george said:

VIDEO:

Note the newscaster says "Farang again" and the word Farang is the video title.

A couple of guys who did just about everything wrong that could be imagined. Thailand needs to invade Phuket and reestablish sovereignty. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HammerGuy said:

They was trying to get away because they had no licence on them but O.B didn't know who they were so probably drew his gun. They got no right wrestling with the copper they was in the wrong, BTW every kiwi I've met here wants a scrap after 3 bottles of singha 

And what about the guys ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, superal said:

And what about the guys ?

The NZ guys should have a hearing in court today at some point, according to unconfirmed press reports.

14 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Not stopping for police and no licence and then being pursued by police is looking bad for the NZs . However I would like to see the final police confrontation which if has the cop pointing a loaded gun at the NZs , the altercation was caused by over the top means . 

I am supposing that the NZ was riding a rented motor bike ? How is that possible without a license ? 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm going to be honest with you 

I feel these guys must be counselling in anger management rather than punished 

I hope they can meet the officer and apologise and maybe forded to do community service 

I'm sure these guys will get alot of anger management by fellow cops while in custody.

• Confused 1

Mrs.T is not impressed, it's on the TV now...........😱

Here son is a cop, a fully trained 'arms' instructor, if it were him, it may have been a different ending, but he is not anyway connect with traffic, unless he was passing.... 😉

• Sad 1

Maybe they can ask to serve their time in a police hospital then have their sentences reduced to a year then be let out after 6 months to run the country. 

If the truth was known what’s the betting the Thai police didn’t behave as police in other countries do?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does anyone know if the police will bash them?

I hope that still doesn't go on 

They use plastic bag over the head these days

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bizboi said:

Maybe they can ask to serve their time in a police hospital then have their sentences reduced to a year then be let out after 6 months to run the country. 

If the truth was known what’s the betting the Thai police didn’t behave as police in other countries do?

Thailand is not other countries, I have no doubt that in a few other countries the blokes would now be in a box.....🤗

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm assuming he part of the video showing them stood by the motorcycles surrounded by police was taken after them wrestling the gun from the officer, due to his dishevelled appearance, but it  looked a little strange to me, considering what had just allegedly taken place I would have expected the two guys to be at least restrained in  handcuffs and possibly  pinned to the floor by the other cops if only to prevent further possibly violent resistance.

It certainly looks like the cop had his gun in his hand when it was taken from him, which implies he had drawn his weapon,  hardly standard procedure when dealing with unarmed tourists who had merely failed to stop at a checkpoint

Whilst none of us here know exactly what happened, my guess is that after the cop caught up with them, an argument ensued which rapidly escalated and  got out of hand, the cop drew his gun probably in an attempt to intimidate, as I doubt he was in fear of his life,

Most people would have complied immediately when faced by a cop with  a loaded gun, it would be normal to think that obeying his instructions would be the safest course of action,  why these two didn't is as yet still  a mystery, but their reaction implies to me  they were genuinely in fear of being shot by what they considered to be a rogue cop,

The fact that one round was fired means that the safety catch had already been switched off, I'm no expert in gun protocol, but it would appear to me that he obviously meant business, The guys obviously know a bit about guns, most people would not have a clue how to remove the clip and empty the bullets, maybe they saw him switch off the safety and genuinely feared he was going to use it. That's the only explanation I can think of for their behaviour 

I have never heard of any tourist , now matter how unsavoury or entitled they may feel, ever behaving like this before. 

I agree with your sentiments . The NZs actions of wrestling the cop must have been provoked . Let's face it , the Thai cops are not at a level to that of UK cops or indeed most European cops . Why would you tackle a Thai cop over a traffic offences ? 

A fine and deportation is there best hope  

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Yesss please! Why?

You forget, stand outside any school I know of one a few weeks ago, young girl dead coming home from school on a scooter, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bizboi said:

In the USA they would both be dead , In Dirty Harry films you would never see Harry standing around while he sees a fellow police officer beaten up by a couple of Punks

he more likely to  point his magnum 44 at the guy standing and advise him that he should tell his friend to release the police officer hence the posts of a 2nd police officer just filming is pure fantasy

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

UPDATE:

Two New Zealand Tourists Banned from Thailand Following Assault on Phuket Police Officer

PHUKET — Two tourists from New Zealand have been blacklisted from Thailand after a video surfaced depicting them allegedly assaulting a Phuket traffic police officer.

The incident underscores the Thai government's commitment to upholding law and order, and the potential consequences for visitors who disregard local regulations and engage in violent behavior.

According to police reports, the two individuals were initially stopped by the traffic police officer for a traffic violation. An altercation ensued, during which the tourists are accused of physically assaulting the officer. The incident was captured on video and subsequently circulated widely on social media platforms.

The tourists were arrested and detained by local police. Charges relating to the assault have been filed. Further impacting their travel plans, Thai immigration authorities have issued a formal travel ban, effectively barring the individuals from re-entering Thailand in the future.

The incident involving the New Zealand tourists has highlighted the importance of respectful behavior and adherence to the law while traveling in Thailand. Thai authorities maintain that acts of violence, particularly against government officials, will not be tolerated and will result in serious consequences.

Similar incidents in recent years have prompted calls for greater awareness campaigns aimed at foreign tourists. These campaigns seek to educate visitors about Thai laws, social customs, and the expected standards of conduct.

Thailand is a top global destination, renowned for its hospitality and natural beauty. Incidents of this nature can negatively impact Thailand's reputation as a safe and welcoming travel destination. Government officials and tourism industry leaders are likely to consider measures to address these concerns and mitigate potential fallout.

This incident serves as a stark reminder for all international tourists. Travelers have a responsibility to familiarize themselves with the laws and customs of the countries they visit. Respectful behavior and adherence to local regulations are essential to ensuring positive travel experiences for both visitors and residents.

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-03-18

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Mrs.T is not impressed, it's on the TV now...........😱

Here son is a cop, a fully trained 'arms' instructor, if it were him, it may have been a different ending, but he is not anyway connect with traffic, unless he was passing.... 😉

Well if "Mrs T" is not impressed it certainly won't end well for them.   Mrs B  on the other hand  remains slightly amused and pretty much ambivalent regarding the whole incident despite her two brothers , her two brothers in law , her uncle, and two of her cousins being serving police officers.  I have no idea what training the police actually  receive regarding the use of firearms, but I would imagine they are told not to draw their weapon unless its absolutely necessary, probably also told not to point it at anything they don't fully intend to kill, and are  almost certainly  told to keep the safety catch on until they intend to actually shoot it.

That would be pretty much in line with what a group of us were told when we were invited to spend an afternoon at the police shooting  range a few years ago. Maybe firearms protocol has changed these days I really have no idea 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The fact that one round was fired means that the safety catch had already been switched off, I'm no expert in gun protocol, but it would appear to me that he obviously meant business, The guys obviously know a bit about guns, most people would not have a clue how to remove the clip and empty the bullets, maybe they saw him switch off the safety and genuinely feared he was going to use it. That's the only explanation I can think of for their behaviour 

I have never heard of any tourist , now matter how unsavoury or entitled they may feel, ever behaving like this before. 

Not all guns have safeties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1