Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

Just now, Dolf said:

From a traffic cop stop? You are joking. Ive driven thousands of kms in Thailand had no issues.

Yes, from a traffic stop, you might not find Thai examples (never looked doubt there are as many Thai drivers recording the interactions with dash cams as in the west considering it's mostly bikes here) but there are thousands of videos of cops overstepping and getting aggressive when the person stands firm to their rights. There have been many deaths.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ryandb said:

has the video been released then?

Not yet. We are awaiting the outcome of today's court proceedings in Phuket. We will update as soon information is available and translated.

Just now, ryandb said:

Yes, from a traffic stop, you might not find Thai examples (never looked doubt there are as many Thai drivers recording the interactions with dash cams as in the west considering it's mostly bikes here) but there are thousands of videos of cops overstepping and getting aggressive when the person stands firm to their rights. There have been many deaths.

So you are talking about other countries then. How much time have you spent in Thailand on the roads?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

So you are talking about other countries then. How much time have you spent in Thailand on the roads?

I've been here 4 years, enough, I've never had a problem with the police here, but that's not the case for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Peabody said:

See George's post, with the video, on page 1 of this thread

you mentioned the traffic stop so I assumed you were referring to a video of the initial interaction and stop, only the restraining and disarming part is on page 1

1 minute ago, ryandb said:

I've been here 4 years, enough, I've never had a problem with the police here, but that's not the case for everyone. 

You should know better. These guys are bogan scum. Giving farangs a bad name.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Even if 'something stinks' it is certain that people in any country are going to get big trouble if they assault police officers, whatever the circumstances.

The" maximum" penalty for assaulting a police officer in the uk has recently been increased,  to just two years imprisonment, hardly "big trouble"

https://www.oblaw.co.uk/assaulting-a-police-officer-sentencing-guidelines/#:~:text=The guidelines have recently been,extended to 2 years custody.

its pretty pathetic really considering what is expected of the police, personally I would have expected the penalty to be much more severe,   Even in the UK assaults on police are relatively common particularly during protests were the anger of the demonstrators is often directed at the police.  One on one assaults like this are however relatively rare

IN Thailand (from a previous post) ..."Section 138 of the Criminal Law: attacking or obstructing an officer who is on duty. The penalty is imprisonment of up to one year, a fine of up to 20,000 baht, or both" which also seems over lenient considering that for assaulting a civilian  (from the same post)...the penalty is double....Section 295 of the Criminal Law: physically assaulting another person. The penalty is imprisonment of up to two years, a fine of up to 40,000 baht, or both.

of course were foreigners are involved they can also deport and blacklist, but that's only a  worry for those who wish to return here,  

29 minutes ago, ryandb said:

it's on the constitution site....

here's another then

“Each person has the right to resist an unlawful arrest. In such a case, the person attempting the arrest stands in the position of a wrongdoer and may be resisted by the use of force, as in self- defense.” (State v. Mobley, 240 N.C. 476, 83 S.E. 2d 100).

True, the right of a person to use force in resisting an illegal arrest is not unlimited. He may use only such force as reasonably appears to be necessary to prevent the unlawful restraint of his liberty. State v. Allen, supra. See also State v. Glenn, 198 N.C. 79, 150 S.E. 663. And where excessive force is exerted, the person seeking to avoid arrest may be convicted of assault, or even of homicide if death ensues, 4 Am.Jur., Arrest, Sec. 92, but in no event may a conviction of the offense of resisting arrest be predicated upon resistance of an unlawful arrest. State v. Allen, supra; State v. Belk, supra; Prosser on Torts, p. 165.

But Americans really know what happens if you try to resist a cop, legal or illegal arrest.

Edited by zakalwe

28 minutes ago, alien365 said:

CM just stank of weed and I saw more tourists there than locals (I know I didn't, but that's how it felt).  I've been to CM quite a few times over the last decade and agree with Ben Zioner on the changes. I feel like I get to experience more Thai culture in Kalasin and the people have always been very friendly to me there.

I rarely see tourists or expats where I live in CM but I think the tourist areas have been swamped in the last 10 years. I see tons of YouTube videos on the city and the tourists may have declared it to be a pot smokers heaven or something. Just avoid those areas and you'll be fine, but if that's the case I would go literally any other smaller city in the north and it would be better.

32 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'll take your word for it, presumably some who need to carry firearms need to have them ready to fire at a moments notice, However , as most Thai cops probably never have reason to even think about drawing their weapons in anger ,  I can't see why any of them would elect to have a weapon without a safety catch.  Seems downright dangerous to me , I would have expected there to be  a list of guns approved for police use, and that a safety catch would be a key requirement.  But then again......

GLOCK line of pistols 

The “safety” is built in 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Deerculler said:

And you think all you loud mouth Aussies are any better when you are in other countries. Stupid remark .

Deerculler? thinking of a bow hunter and dribbling good ol boys but from the land of long white cloud. Bitsimilar to these two" loserbrothers in arms"  Do you play the banjo! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dolf said:

So you say cops go around assaulting tourists for no reason? What are you smoking?

If you considered taking cash from tourists rather than going through the official procedures as an assault then that is happening every day , what are you smoking.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I haven't seen the video tape so I don't know for certain but how often do you hear about Thai cop's gunning down foreigners here? It just doesn't happen, so the policeman must have felt threatened to have pulled his gun. I don't have much respect for the RTP, but there are some instances where you just have to say okay something was going on. 

Also, Thais are keenly aware of social media. I remember joking with my Thai driver in Phuket about not wanting to be on Facebook for the wrong reasons.

Thailand was home to 49.10 million social media users in January 2024, equating to 68.3 percent of the total population. 

Edited by zakalwe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

"He is trying to kill us" one of the guys said in the video to the Thai couple. You can see that they were not being aggressive or looking crazy in the video. They had zero interest in using the gun themselves. Hopefully we will see all the CCTV evidence to show what actually happened.  Either way, I bet they will never return to Thailand again.

Hopefully they'll spend a lot of time in Thailand...behind the walls of a prison. Lucky for the Kiwis that their parents are wealthy, it's their best and maybe only chance of seeing NZ again in the near future.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

GLOCK line of pistols 

The “safety” is built in 

The "internal" safety in the Glock line is to prevent accidental discharge from like dropping the gun. It is disengaged when pulling the trigger.

A fine weapon.

• Like 1

Just now, zakalwe said:

The "internal" safety in the Glock line is to prevent accidental discharge from like dropping the gun. It is disengaged when pulling the trigger.

A fine weapon.

is there really such a thing as a "fine weapon"  personally i find them all revolting

• Sad 1